Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Beginners Guide + FAQ (work in progress)
2015-11-07, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 2015-11-07 03:53 PM by monster.)
RE: Beginners Guide + FAQ (work in progress)
Hi. Just started the game, and finding it nearly impossible to use, even after spending like 2 hours watching youtube videos first. So I thought I'd check the forum, since I also just read there is no usable wiki. Found "issues" with this FAQ, so I'll list them now:

"-tap switches camera mode"

* What does "tap" mean?

"-opens the spawn menu for enemies (only in vehicle designer)"

* Maybe you could write down *which key* does that.

"1.1 When in normal mode:"

* It says that q is used for entering/driving vehicle, but I cannot find the opposite key, that is, how do you explicitly "exit"/"stop driving" a vehicle? (Pressing q at "nothing" doesn't seem to do it)

* How do you turn your ship upside-up, after it capsized? (so far, I found I have two choices; either the ship hardly moves at all (underpowered), or I add more power/thrust and then it always capsize; nothing in between seems possible).

* How do you get rid of "junk" that falls on you ship (I removed a turret base (to recreate the turret from scratch), so turret "body" just falls down on deck as "debris"; no clue how to get rid of of it)

* I thought the "vehicle designer" was that game's equivalent of "creative mode", but while I was still struggling to build a boat that actually move, but didn't automatically capsize, I got attacked and killed by some random mob. Could you write down how you can learn the game without being attacked while you're still defenceless?

* Apparently, both mouse buttons let you use two attacks when in "player mode", but climbing on an enemy ship and using them seems to do nothing. Maybe you could explain how to use those buttons. Do I need to buy/build hand-weapons first?

* What about the "land"? Can you build a base on it? Or mine it, or do anything at all with it? I've seen somewhere you can build "drills"; can you mine land with that? It doesn't seem to be affected by shooting at it. If it's only decoration, then why have it at all?

"1.2 When in build mode:"

* How do you "undo" what you just did? For example, if I just placed a large prefab in the wrong place, how do I remove it?

* How do you control the position of the camera relative to where you are building? I find that if I am building a small ship, and need to build/change the "inside" of it, I cannot see what I am doing, since the camera is always "outside" of the ship.

I haven't tried anything fancy like "missiles" or planes, since even the most basic boat seems impossible to get right. I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere with this game until I know the answers to those questions first, all of which I think belongs in the "FAQ".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2015-11-08, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 2015-11-08 12:37 AM by Miyuki.)
(2015-11-07 03:26 PM)monster Wrote:  "-tap switches camera mode"

* What does "tap" mean?

That would be Tab key

Quote:"-opens the spawn menu for enemies (only in vehicle designer)"

* Maybe you could write down *which key* does that.
I don't have the game open but I'm quite certain it specifies the X - key, or I remember having seen it in the menu and loading screens

Quote:"1.1 When in normal mode:"

* It says that q is used for entering/driving vehicle, but I cannot find the opposite key, that is, how do you explicitly "exit"/"stop driving" a vehicle? (Pressing q at "nothing" doesn't seem to do it)
You can use chairs with the q key to "sit" on them and just press space to hop off. Using Q while pointing the cursor at a vehicle controller will change the mode if it's a simple controller. The modes are water, ground and air and the available controls depend on what components are connected to the vehicle.

If you set water or air drive with T or G keys to a positive or negative drive, press both T and G at the same time to set the drive to 0 again and stop driving. The AI, if attached will control speeds as long as the drive is set to 0 as well. Any other control inputs will momentarily stop the AI from maintaining the speeds.

Quote:* How do you turn your ship upside-up, after it capsized? (so far, I found I have two choices; either the ship hardly moves at all (underpowered), or I add more power/thrust and then it always capsize; nothing in between seems possible).
While in build mode, you can see the center of mass of the vehicle as presented by the red arrows and weight symbol. If the center of mass is too high, no matter what you do, your ship will eventually capsize. Try adding a lead counterbalance to the bottom or a keel of some sort.

Quote:* How do you get rid of "junk" that falls on you ship (I removed a turret base (to recreate the turret from scratch), so turret "body" just falls down on deck as "debris"; no clue how to get rid of of it)
You can try and push it off with your character, but sometimes you'll just move right through it. Pull the vehicle out of game and back into game in the E tactical menu to allow for the debris to sink.

Quote:* I thought the "vehicle designer" was that game's equivalent of "creative mode", but while I was still struggling to build a boat that actually move, but didn't automatically capsize, I got attacked and killed by some random mob. Could you write down how you can learn the game without being attacked while you're still defenceless?
There should be no enemies in the vehicle designer mode, I've never seen any, unless I specifically spawn them in with the X spawn menu.

Quote:* Apparently, both mouse buttons let you use two attacks when in "player mode", but climbing on an enemy ship and using them seems to do nothing. Maybe you could explain how to use those buttons. Do I need to buy/build hand-weapons first?
The melee weapons are quite slow and have a somewhat low damage and range. In the Z character menu, you can use points you gain from leveling up to buy better weapons and to assign them to your 1-10 button menu to select. There's pistol, blunderbuss, smg and other such. With the grenade launcher, you can accidentally kill yourself while seated and accidentally pressing the mouse button too, so don't set it to slot 1 Smile

Quote:* What about the "land"? Can you build a base on it? Or mine it, or do anything at all with it? I've seen somewhere you can build "drills"; can you mine land with that? It doesn't seem to be affected by shooting at it. If it's only decoration, then why have it at all?
Yes, in the build menu, you can select build new structure and build it on either land or even under water. Resources can only be gathered within the green circles as seen in build mode when you first open the vanilla builder and shown in the map screen. Fortresses are a good choice for resource gathering platforms.

Quote:"1.2 When in build mode:"

* How do you "undo" what you just did? For example, if I just placed a large prefab in the wrong place, how do I remove it?
Unless it's a turret or on a spin block, unfortunately there's no easy way to undo block placements.

Quote:* How do you control the position of the camera relative to where you are building? I find that if I am building a small ship, and need to build/change the "inside" of it, I cannot see what I am doing, since the camera is always "outside" of the ship.
You can use exploded view by pressing P to minimize the blocks and see within. You can try different build mode settings available to find what works for you. The simplified build controls are a bit limited for my tastes and I prefer the keyboard building method. Mouse scroll button can be used to zoom in and out.

Quote:I haven't tried anything fancy like "missiles" or planes, since even the most basic boat seems impossible to get right. I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere with this game until I know the answers to those questions first, all of which I think belongs in the "FAQ".

The learning curve may be steep, but it helps to load in prebuilt vessels in the vehicle designer and see how they have been built. Keep in mind that everything has a mass and that if you have unbalanced structures, they will capsize.
2015-11-08, 01:28 PM
@Miyuki Thank you! A most detailed answer. Smile
2015-12-23, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 2015-12-23 12:58 PM by Normal69.)
Every weapon is connected to the AI, but not all of them are working?
Slap down a Weapon Controller block. It says you can remotely fire your weapons in the tooltip, but it rights the problem above too.

Built a helicopter, but after turning it always goes back to the original direction?
In Aerial Movement card eliminate the possibility of airplane-like tilting turn.

Building a sub? Put rubber block at the bottom to avoid collision damage with the seabottom.

Light weight alloy is lighter that water.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-03-27, 09:16 PM
I need help how to restore a sky turbine power. My fortress is dissolving. Help!
2017-03-28, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone!!!
I'm new and I need help with the game cus I don't understand a lot of things...
Does anyone have Discord and willing to help???
Thanks, have a nice day!!! Big Grin
2017-04-12, 11:20 PM
So ive recently been having trouble with missiles as they seem to be taking a while to reload, I have plenty of ammo on board my ship and ammo processors. If someone could explain how to have continuous missile fire i would appreciate it.
2017-04-12, 11:25 PM
Missiles should take 0.5+4*length seconds to reload; continuous missile fire can only be accomplished by having a large number of missiles on one controller, with a stagger fire block set such that the entire array of missiles takes as long to fire as the first does to reload.

Allr andask.
2017-04-12, 11:27 PM
ah alright that makes sense, thanks