Poll: Are you interested in this sort of tournament?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Earthlike Expeditionary Bout
2018-07-19, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-19 09:31 PM by BioPhoenix.)
Earthlike Expeditionary Bout
The "Earth Default Physics" configuration for FTD physics is fun, and it feels like it addresses a lot of the common complaints about FTD's behavior - the air and water are no longer soupy, and it's a lot harder to make airships that are heavier than water ships, with the biggest downside I see being that it's harder to make ships not bouncy. (Placing beams only horizontally helps some, but not completely. PIDs can mitigate it completely though.) So, I've decided to try holding a tournament to see how they could work. But I don't have all the specifics pinned down just yet.

The rules I'm thinking of are as follows, but presently subject to change as I gauge interest in this sort of tournament.
  • For this tournament, the game configuration settings will match those given by the 'Earth Default Settings' button found underneath the game configuration sliders. 0.1x air and water drag, 0.2x force output, 0.75x buoyancy, and 2x universal damage multiplier. I'm probably also going to put space up a lot higher than it is in Neter.
  • (7/19) Battles will take place on a flat-bottomed map about 150 meters deep.
  • The tournament will be conducted round-robin style. Every entry will fight every other entry. There are a maximum of eight entrants to keep the number of matches in this case to a sane level.
  • Maximum total resource cost is 100k materials, between all vehicles spawned. Resources the team spawns with will be equal to 10k plus whatever is left after that, and will be localized.
  • Vehicles will be spawned at a distance of 5km from each other, facing an enemy vehicle. Water vehicles will be spawned at sea level while air vehicles will be spawned at their nominal maximum height to a maximum of 500 meters. Yes, 5000 meters is a long distance. But there are plenty of weapon designs that work at it.
  • You may submit any number of vehicles in your entry. A spawn stick is not required - additional vehicles not spawned with one will be placed in flanking positions at the same distance from the enemy vehicle/s. Sky fortresses are also permitted but you must have at least one vehicle because this is at its core about the physics. I don't know how I could fairly also allow structures.
  • Automatic detection settings will be at 0x. Detection equipment
  • All blocks, weapons, etc. are permitted. All weapons are allowed, all strategies and vehicle designs are accepted. Bring on the cheese if you want to, but make it look good.
  • LUA is fully permitted. However, if you use it, you must write the code yourself. You are not allowed to use LUA code written for FTD by others.
  • Despite the above, glitch abuse is strictly banned. This includes (but is not limited to) the proximity-fuse HESH/EMP bug, spinblock/turret clipping for reasons other than aesthetics, detectors on spinblocks seeing through the main construct, LUA aim shenanigans teleporting shells into the target, and other things. It doesn't include simple unexpected interactions like making initial detections with a tracker's 10-degree cone of vision.
  • (7/19) Also despite the above, editing blueprints with any program other than From the Depths itself is strictly forbidden.
  • (7/19) Battles will be on a ten minute timer, and will be single - no best two out of three - to avoid excessive strain on me. They will also be without commentary unless someone other than me decides to host this.
  • (7/19) A battle is won when one ship is able to continue the fight and the other is not, whether due to no weapons, no functional detection, or no steering while being faster than the enemy and getting out of range. If both ships end up in such a situation for any reason, it shall be counted as a draw.

As all of this is designed to analyze the meta under these conditions, the winner will be determined and designs ranked by simple win-loss ratio. I think these rules are adequate but if I'm missing anything more please do say.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-19, 03:07 AM
RE: Earthlike Expeditionary Bout
For maps, I'd suggest one of the 'no landmass' maps.

Dunno if I'd enter this, I'd love to, but I'm not good at cheese. Although I suppose I could enter a full course meal...
2018-07-19, 08:06 AM
Please also disallow blueprint editing. It shouldnt have to be included as a rule really, but considering you say "All blocks, weapons, etc. are permitted. All weapons are allowed, all strategies and vehicle designs are accepted. Bring on the cheese if you want to, but make it look good." it probably is best to include it anyway.
Another piece of info is missing: how long will a single round last?

Furthermore: 100K is acceptable. I think it should be possible to refit something to fit those rules and still be sort-of effective. Smile

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
2018-07-19, 10:33 AM
i'm slightly interested, but i've only ever used earth settings when running away

"Anata no soba de! " - Hearts of Iron phrase.
2018-07-19, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-19 09:46 PM by BioPhoenix.)
(2018-07-19 03:07 AM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  For maps, I'd suggest one of the 'no landmass' maps.

Dunno if I'd enter this, I'd love to, but I'm not good at cheese. Although I suppose I could enter a full course meal...
Cheese is not required! As I see it the goal of these tourneys isn't necessarily to win, but to enter at all and have fun with it. (And in this case to help analyze the meta under different physics conditions.)

(2018-07-19 08:06 AM)NutterChap Wrote:  Please also disallow blueprint editing. It shouldnt have to be included as a rule really, but considering you say "All blocks, weapons, etc. are permitted. All weapons are allowed, all strategies and vehicle designs are accepted. Bring on the cheese if you want to, but make it look good." it probably is best to include it anyway.
Another piece of info is missing: how long will a single round last?

Furthermore: 100K is acceptable. I think it should be possible to refit something to fit those rules and still be sort-of effective. Smile
Added a rule about blueprint editing. I'd already said that matches would most likely be on a ten minute timer maximum, but I've highlighted it for emphasis. Most single battles in the campaign don't take that long, at least in game-time.
2018-07-20, 11:38 AM
(2018-07-19 09:36 PM)BioPhoenix Wrote:  
(2018-07-19 03:07 AM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  For maps, I'd suggest one of the 'no landmass' maps.

Cheese is not required! As I see it the goal of these tourneys isn't necessarily to win, but to enter at all and have fun with it. (And in this case to help analyze the meta under different physics conditions.)

So actually it IS about meta. Finding the Earth physics meta.
How about 'take a neter-meta vehicle from your own designs and make it work in earth-meta'? At least, that's what Ima do.

Also, I just didnt read carefully enough I suppose. Time WAS stated. Sorry! Angel

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
2018-07-20, 01:02 PM
(2018-07-19 02:38 AM)BioPhoenix Wrote:  **cut**

Would be nice if you could record a demo battle to showcase the Earth-like physics.

primum non nocere