Poll: Do you like the current low health effect, as of version .16?
I like the effect, it adds to the game.
Partially; the idea is good, the execution needs some work.
I dislike it, in the current state.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
option to disable low health visuals
2018-07-13, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-13 07:06 PM by temeter.)
option to disable low health visuals
Currently, at low health, the screens darkens and gets sprinkled with water droplets. Please add an option to disable that effect.

To elaborate my problem, I find it disorienting, it's a strain on my eyes trying to see anything and generally just makes the experience of getting injured really frustrating. Maybe that is the intent, but it doesn't really add anything for me, besides getting annoyed at the game. I find the effect just dreadful, the only really obvious and straightforward annoyance I got with the game.

I like FTD a lot, but this effect honestly feels to me like a rushed placeholder. I have never seen something like that in a game before, and was surprised to see that there is not an off-switch for such an intrusive, exaggerated effect. As an anecdote, I watched a youtube video from Lathland, who seemed to have more or less the same reaction as me, when he found that there was no option to disable it - like it was natural that something as extreme should be optional. Some people on the Steam forums shared my opinion, others were fine with it.

Also, I've added a poll out of curiosity, to see if others feel the same. Obviously, having the effect optional would make just about everyone happy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-13, 07:27 PM
RE: option to disable low health visuals
It is intended to get you to keep your character safe and to try to get you to avoid capturing, like the death mechanic, but I agree that it is not the best of solutions, and one which really annoys players rather than fixes the issue specifically. It's been brought up many times, but has yet to be patched out.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-07-13, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-13 07:57 PM by temeter.)
(2018-07-13 07:27 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  It is intended to get you to keep your character safe and to try to get you to avoid capturing, like the death mechanic, but I agree that it is not the best of solutions, and one which really annoys players rather than fixes the issue specifically. It's been brought up many times, but has yet to be patched out.

Yeah, I think I get what they're trying to do here, but it 100% makes the game worse for me. Games almost never obstruct your view that way, because it's just a really unpleasant experience.

Feels like one of these issues where a dev might have trouble understanding the game from a players perspective, tbh. For a dev, it might be a flawed game mechanic with a purpose that is fine as a placeholder, for me, it's like having my screen puke at me.

It doesn't even do a good job at discouraging capturing, all of the more difficult vessels are very tedious to capture either way because of personal weaponry vs heavy armor (even normal beams take like minutes with a minigun).
2018-07-13, 11:11 PM
+1, literally nobody enjoys being blinded in a game about building ships and watching them fight.
2018-07-14, 12:40 AM
Maybe keep the low health visuals, but tie them to the heartstone system somehow? Like being immortal as long as you're on a ship with a fully operational heartstone. Part of the crew, part of the ship, except with robotic technomagic shenanigans instead of curses.
2018-07-15, 04:44 AM
I think that red vingetting would be alot better. (Did I spell vingetting right?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-15, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the current effect, but limiting it to the edge of the screen and not decreasing brightness. The fact that you can't see at all at low HP us very frustrating. Even at 80% HP the effect is very distracting, but some splotches at the edge of your vision is standard for first person games.
2018-07-15, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-15 06:26 PM by temeter.)
(2018-07-15 04:44 AM)YD12 Wrote:  I think that red vingetting would be alot better. (Did I spell vingetting right?)

Honestly, think a red screen would be even more distracting, and more strain on the eyes. But the red screens in other games are very different; vignetting is generally limited to the borders, though, and the center of sight is always clear. That way you can smear all over the screen, but since your eyes tend to focus on the crosshair, the actualy sight is mostly unaffected.

The newer Battlefield's, taking a note from Call of Duty (which isn't necessarily for the best), have a fairly strong effect, but the center of sight is clear:

http://i.imgur.com/G00raZo.jpg

Or the new DOOM:

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/waterlogg...ycockroach

Basically this:

(2018-07-15 07:43 AM)Skullsploder Wrote:  I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the current effect, but limiting it to the edge of the screen and not decreasing brightness. The fact that you can't see at all at low HP us very frustrating. Even at 80% HP the effect is very distracting, but some splotches at the edge of your vision is standard for first person games.

I would say that it's heavily depending on the type of game. The big mainstream console focussed shooters like CoD and Battlefield tend to have a stronger version to create some artificial tension, but keep the focus points clear. Other FPS have much more limited effects in this regard.

I'd say it's more distracting on PC because of the closeness to a screen, and some PC-only shooters like Crysis 1 kept the screen effects to an absolute minimum. A game like From the Depth probably doesn't need strong effects at all, considering the mostly passive gameplay.
2018-07-15, 06:37 PM
It needs to be reworked

Right now its a countermeasure to boarding if heartstone isnt disabled. Also it makes wounded players worse at manual control.

The problem is how slowly it regens without skill points. I would change it that player has low HP (so the same as is it now) but regenerates very quickly so if you get hurt but survive you will be blind for few seconds but will be able to see again very soon.

Being charged by heartstone should increase players regen and damage resistance so if you get hit in the cockpit you will be blind for a second or two but you will be back in action pretty much instantly when compared to the current regen rate without Brawlers skill points.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-07-15, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-16 01:55 PM by temeter.)
(2018-07-15 06:37 PM)mrvecz Wrote:  It needs to be reworked

Right now its a countermeasure to boarding if heartstone isnt disabled. Also it makes wounded players worse at manual control.

The problem is how slowly it regens without skill points. I would change it that player has low HP (so the same as is it now) but regenerates very quickly so if you get hurt but survive you will be blind for few seconds but will be able to see again very soon.

Being charged by heartstone should increase players regen and damage resistance so if you get hit in the cockpit you will be blind for a second or two but you will be back in action pretty much instantly when compared to the current regen rate without Brawlers skill points.

At lesat to me, regen isn't the issue, it's more that a game like FTD should never use that kind of sensory deprivation as a "mechanic". I mean, it's just such a bizarre thing to do, just look at this thread how many people hate it. This is an awesome fun building game about creating ships and sending them into battles, not an sm torture simulator that's supposed to give you that kind of extra punishment if you get hit by a stray bullet.

And that's before we even go into the effects of that mechanic. I boarded a lot of ships, and I don't think those blindfolds ever stopped me from doing so; if something did, it was either my death or despawning, and that was never caused by the blinding effect.