Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My campaign fleet
2018-07-12, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-12 06:10 PM by GiantSnake.)
My campaign fleet
Hello everyone. I made this thread so I can dump all my designs that I use in my current campaign playthrough here. I consider myself to be OK at the game, neither amazing nor terrible. The ships are slightly stronger than similarly sized & priced Expert-difficulty Steel Striders designs on average, so I'm pretty happy with how strong they are.

BTW, they use fleet paint. I may decide to change this at some point, since not everyone's fleet paint fits my style, but for now I'll stick with it. My style is a mix between modern & futuristic for most of my designs, with even some WWII influence creeping in in certain instances.

Now, onto my ships.

Salamander-class light frigate
This ship is one of my 2 "starter" craft at the moment. It's the larger of the 2, but actually not as useful. I don't really know what to do with this thing but it's a solid all-rounder design so I can't complain.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51149]
Cost: 45k resources
Volume: 4905
Armament
1 200mm multi-purpose frag gun
1 54mm light AA sabot gun
10 missiles

Defences
Reflect shielding
Missile Interceptors

Strengths
Good against DWG & LH vessels
Can do most roles
Suprisingly tough
EMP missiles very effective against OW ships

Weaknesses
Slow
No anti-sub defences
Not very effective against heavily armoured targets

Medusa-class corvette
The smaller of my 2 "starter" ships. This one is smaller, cheaper but has a much worse cannon and is overall more frail, as well as lacking good defences.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51150]
Cost: 37k
Volume: 3331

Armament
2 146mm frag cannons
6 HE torpedos
4 AA frag missiles

Defences
Reflect Shields

Strengths
Cheap
Torpedos hit hard
Cannon is effective at anti-air
Missiles deal with microfighters effectively
OK armour for it's size

Weaknesses
Small & compact. 1 hit from a CRAM volley can cause serious internal damage
Cannon is less effective against ships
Almost useless against airships
No active defences aside from shields

Spark-class heavy frigate
The workhorse of the sea, and my oldest ship which has been constantly modernized for well over a year now. It's always been based on the same prefab hull, and has never failed me in the campaign. Thanks to R0sefall for the hull, as when I first made this ship I had no idea how to make good hulls.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51148]
Cost: 61k
Volume: 5859

Armament
4 1320mm CRAM cannons
2 1119mm CRAM cannons
12 frag missiles
1 36mm light AA cannon

Defences
Reflect Shielding
Missile Interceptors
Sonar Buoys

Strengths
Powerful armament
Tough
Well protected against most advanced cannons & missiles
Fast despite it's bulky hull

Weaknesses
Expensive
This version does not have smoke installed.
Not as effective at killing aircraft as it is at killing ships

Paladin-class heavy cruiser
A defensive powerhouse of a ship. This is also quite an old design that has gone through multiple variations over time. This current one was never even intended to be used in the campaign, and was just a testbed for my first CIWS using a hull that wasn't even my own. Thanks to TheLightLOD for uploading their hull on the forums. I heavily modified it to fit the guns & engine on, as well as added a lot more armour which eventually resulted in a ship that ended up being accidentally very good.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=51147]
Cost: 208k
Volume: 22280

Armament
10 1771mm pendepth CRAM cannons
2 1273mm HE CRAM cannons
4 36mm AA deck guns
6 36mm AA guns
10 frag/EMP missiles
12 HE torpedos

Defences
Reflect shielding (double layer in some areas)
Missile interceptors
Sonar buoys
CIWS cannons

Strengths
Really durable, especially when broadsiding
Ridiculously strong main armament that can cripple a ship in a few volleys
Competent at killing small to medium fighter aircraft
Missiles can distract LAMS for the CRAM shells to get through
EMP missiles effective against shielded targets
Torpedo armament hits pretty hard
Fast for it's size

Weaknesses
At the moment, it doesn't have smoke. I will fit this & my other ships with smoke when I fight the Lightning Hoods though.
Armour near the front of the hull is thinner to reduce price & increase buoyancy
Expensive
It's very long, making it easy for torpedos to hit it.
Struggles against big battleships. It's only a cruiser, and is made as a defensive ship to draw fire, not for 1v1in Excaliburs.

I will post my planes soon, and hopefully I'll keep updating this as I add more to my fleet.
Plans
Light/Medium Cruiser "Krait"
Light AA Cruiser "Iguana"
Refit/upgrade my destroyer
Aircraft Carrier "Commander"
Battleship "Champion"

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint  Medusa Mk8.blueprint (Size: 100.17 KB / Downloads: 3)
.blueprint  Paladin Mk7 B Repaint.blueprint (Size: 488 KB / Downloads: 3)
.blueprint  Salamander Mk5.blueprint (Size: 129.98 KB / Downloads: 4)
.blueprint  Spark Mk8.blueprint (Size: 146.41 KB / Downloads: 4)

My BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-12, 07:28 PM
RE: My campaign fleet
Some good ships all around. My only concern is the lack of APS as main guns on the big ships, or as anything other than AA, that is, while I myself typically go for no more than 2/3 of the main armament as CRAMs, even on more dominantly CRAM ships. It's all up to you, though, and I'm guessing some other ships yet to come may have some main APS.

On the Salamader, that looks like bigger than 200mm for the main gun. Am I correct, or is the image slightly decieving?

You could also indicate which guns on the Paladin are CIWS, I don't see any mention of them in the description below.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-07-12, 08:54 PM
RE: My campaign fleet
(2018-07-12 07:28 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Some good ships all around. My only concern is the lack of APS as main guns on the big ships, or as anything other than AA, that is, while I myself typically go for no more than 2/3 of the main armament as CRAMs, even on more dominantly CRAM ships. It's all up to you, though, and I'm guessing some other ships yet to come may have some main APS.

On the Salamader, that looks like bigger than 200mm for the main gun. Am I correct, or is the image slightly decieving?

You could also indicate which guns on the Paladin are CIWS, I don't see any mention of them in the description below.

On the topic of the Salamander's gun, yes that's bigger than 200mm. The picture there is a picture of the Salamander prototype which was identical to the regular one aside from the gun. It was originally a 333mm HESH spamgun but it ran out of ammo too quick and was useless against anything with shields, so I replaced it with a different gun.

Also, I'm aware of my usage of CRAM cannons. I use them simply because I really like them, but I do have dedicated AA ships to deal with aircraft. I typically choose what ships to put into battles depending on what the enemy fleet consists of. I have a destroyer that is similar in size to my large frigate that I will use instead of it if it's a predominantly air based fleet, but swap it out if the biggest threat is a ship, for example. The same is true for my cruiser. I have a WIP anti-air cruiser that can be used instead of it if an enemy fleet consists of mostly planes.

I typically build my larger ships to be very good at one specific thing such as anti air or anti ship ect. My battleship will be the exception to that rule since it will be a generalist ship designed to just kill everything.

My BP thread!
How to win neter. Step 1: Get that godly battleship to spawn inside a mountain. Step 2: Steal it.
I reply to people way too much.