Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
July week 1 update
2018-07-05, 07:15 AM
July week 1 update
Things are going well and definitely nearing the release of the new patch.

One final thing that I am porting over from FS to FTD is the reference frame system which gives the game a double precision "universe frame" for keeping track of the exact absolute position of objects in the universe but allows the game's main frame of reference to constantly shift so that all the action is happening near the Unity Game Engine point of origin. Because unity's game engine is single precision if you move too far from the point of origin various bad things start to happen. The most obvious flaws are with the shaders (toon outlining and shadows are particularly messed up by this) but objects start to vibrate as the position resolution decreases and the physics gets messed up. FTD suffers from this badly if you are engaging in actions across the map. It can be seen even if you just fly in a straight line in a fast plane for a few minutes.

The new code creates a main reference frame and adds all objects to that frame. If the frame is moved (i.e. to put it nearer the camera) then all objects automatically adjust their positions in unity automatically.

Having already done all of this for FS I don't think it'll take very long to use the same code for FTD. So far so good. FTD already had a thing called the WorldPosition which was offset from the GameWorldPosition.. but the offset was only changed when the game was loaded, and it was never updated during play... so a lot of the code half exists already.

This change also helps to support planets much larger than Neter. Neter was intentionally chosen to be not much more than 20km by 20km to avoid these issues. With the new code you could make a planet that is as large as you like (single precision breaks down above about 20km, whereas double precision would take you out to the edge of the solar system before you loose resolution!)

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-07-05, 08:53 AM
RE: July week 1 update
Great news actually. May it posdibly lead, ahem, to longer ranges maybe?

Makes things.
magic cheese must burn?
Find all posts by this user
2018-07-05, 09:02 AM
(2018-07-05 08:53 AM)DraWay Wrote:  Great news actually. May it posdibly lead, ahem, to longer ranges maybe?

It could lead to a larger custom campaign but it wasn't intended to change the engagement ranges.

What is the current limitation on the range? I would have thought you can engage with an APS out to a very long range given the lack of atmospheric drag

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2018-07-05, 10:19 AM
Nick You posted this 3 times Big Grin

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-07-05, 10:54 AM
(2018-07-05 09:02 AM)Nick Smart Wrote:  
(2018-07-05 08:53 AM)DraWay Wrote:  Great news actually. May it posdibly lead, ahem, to longer ranges maybe?

It could lead to a larger custom campaign but it wasn't intended to change the engagement ranges.

What is the current limitation on the range? I would have thought you can engage with an APS out to a very long range given the lack of atmospheric drag

Well the AI of course won't engage beyond 5 clicks, but manually it's not an issue to shoot at something 7 clicks away.
I do think the range could go up to 10 clicks max, even if it's not very efficient to do so.

Anyway, thanks for the update! Really pleased with the changes coming

Procrastination level is over 9000
2018-07-05, 11:17 AM
Hmm, larger maps being viable ? Too bad nobody will utilize this. Neter will stay the same and having such large map is detrimental for CC since people cant fill it and not making it boring.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
2018-07-05, 12:02 PM
A larger map for Neter would only be nice if the tile grind ceizes to exist.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2018-07-05, 01:22 PM
It sounds good, and it sounds good from a MULTIPLAYER perspective, too!

These updates are really great:
-for us players we see that you're making things better
-for you developers it places pointers about what you all do, and when

Thank you!
(this is still my favourite game compared to all existing and planned games)

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
2018-07-05, 01:24 PM
Quick message from the future!
Larger maps will be utilised by the working multiplayer mode.

Ps: what is a "click"? A map square?

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
2018-07-05, 02:12 PM
Current limitation on range? For campaign, actually it's map size. Then AI and your devs point of view on ranges, but even if we had unrestricted AI it would be useless on major part of current map, not so much open spaces.

Hmm speaking of campaign, in current state big map may be not needed. Imagine moving your 10 m/s battleship across the neter map... Or ten of them.

Makes things.
magic cheese must burn?