Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compcat dual engine with decent fuel efficiency (5x5x6 form factor)
2018-06-23, 06:57 PM
Compcat dual engine with decent fuel efficiency (5x5x6 form factor)
fiddled around with multi Engine setups to see if there was a way to cheese the system..and failed, though i ended up making this thingy.
it has 2400 max Power and can reach a fuel efficiency rating of at least 500 or a Little more but id say 500 is stable for the most part.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Decent Engine thingie.blueprint (Size: 36.49 KB / Downloads: 7)

Never sail out to far on the daft raft.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-30, 02:10 AM
RE: Compcat dual engine with decent fuel efficiency (5x5x6 form factor)
2400 in 5x5x6 is 16 PPBB (power per bounding box), which is really low for 500 PPF (power per fuel, which is likely what you mean with efficiency rating). *looks* Yeah, overall its not terribly great compared to the engines of people who spend way too much time making engines. Since it looks like I can give some general advice based on what I see in this thing, I probably ought to since it may help you out.

1. Multi-engine setups can work, and can be used to "cheese" the system to some point. Cylinders from different engines cannot share carburettors. However, once exhaust has left a cylinder and entered a pipe, any turbo it enters will affect a carburretor regardless of what engine that carburetor is on. So multiple engines can share exhaust just fine.

As it happens, this particular design would not lose anything from being a single engine design, other than having to remove one of the fuel blocks you slapped onto the engine (you can slap fuel anywhere on the vessel, but it is true that people can stick it inside engines wherever there is air so they don't have to put it elsewhere. Though putting resources in such a place works too)

2. Turbos get better the more exhaust they have going through them. So ideally, you do not want to split a pipe to feed two different turbos unless you have a LOT of gas in the pipes. In an ideal engine, every turbo will have a 3.93 (I think that's what the max is) efficiency multiplier.

2.5. This means that, in theory, you want to set up an engine to get exhaust from as many cylinders as possible (or at least enough to get max efficiency) before it enters the first turbo, and to then have the pipe go through every turbo in the engine in a row. Some designs may have situational exceptions, but this is generally true.

3. Your engine had some points where pipes passed over a cylinder without taking exhaust from them. Don't forget to grab it with L-junctions and throughput pipes and other such pipery.

If you feel up to trying to reverse engineer other people's engines, try looking at some of the intermittent multi-engines on Guaibee's Engine Platform, or the Useful Engine Raft II I made (and will post here soon)

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply