Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Paper Moon-class battleship
2018-06-21, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-06-21 09:25 PM by Iladge.)
Paper Moon-class battleship
The second ship I`ve made so far. Currently in the early prototype stage. Feel free to criticize.
Armor.
Armor on this thing is somewhere between method all-or-nothing and method just-nothing. it's not just called "paper", it is actually made out of it. Shields are yet to be placed. The current philosophy of the build: try to take an enemy down before it takes down you.
Movement
Around 12m/s average speed, slow turning rate. Nothing too special for its size.
Armament
That's where the ship is being shown at its finest. I`ve put best guns on it (at least from what I had).
Main weapons: 4 of 4x500mm 8M 16RPM (64RPM in total for just one turret)
Secondary weapons: 8 of 500mm 2M loaded with disruptor conduit shells
AA weaponry: 8 of 36mm timed frag
Torpedos: 24 of 7M in total
[Image: cJCNa6Gh.jpg]
[Image: eJh7MmVh.jpg]
[Image: FqL7kfgh.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Paper Moon-class battleship.blueprint (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 14)

"Stay alive, stay active, and get as much practice as you can." - Francis Albert Sinatra
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-25, 09:54 AM
RE: Paper Moon-class battleship
Looks pretty neat

(2017-10-09 09:22 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  Go take a shield generator, slap that on your ship and turn the bugger up to max.

KV-2: Derp Lord of the universe

Forward broadside is only broadside
2018-06-25, 11:32 AM
(2018-06-25 09:54 AM)That Guy Wrote:  Looks pretty neat

Thanks!

"Stay alive, stay active, and get as much practice as you can." - Francis Albert Sinatra
2018-06-25, 12:08 PM
Does some testing against it with my ongoing and unfinished battleship. Conclusion: good gods, that's a lot of firepower. (also, my turrets need better protection)

(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2018-07-12, 01:41 AM
Honestly, even in that unfinished state its remarkably capable of fighting other ships (I threw it against random high-point godly designs from various factions to see what would happen).

That central ammo magazine is probably larger than it needs to be. But at the same time, it makes just about every enemy out there try to aim for that magazine before anything else, seemingly. Which means they are not trying to shoot, say, those nice, overly strong guns you have that are BLOWING THEM TO PIECES. And its not like you actually NEED that magazine (there are a few others, which seem smaller and better protected anyway), so its just fine for them to shoot at it. We'll build a new one later. Out of the molten wreckage of that silly ship that foolishly went for some excess ammo instead of shooting the guns.

So some ideas I guess:

-Actually keep that central magazine, since it blowing up doesn't appear to actually cause much trouble. However, maybe replace the outermost boxes with heavy alloy? And maybe add a layer or two of armor on the hull on sides of that area? The longer the enemy has to shoot that excessive ammo bulge, the better. That area doesn't even have a pump or something, so its not like having holes in it actually hurts the current design of the ship.

-Shields would probably add a fair bit of survivability.

-For that, you need some engines. Fortunately, there is tons of room all over the place on that thing. Since its a big ship, you can probably go with fuel engines and get more efficient ones (a T2 like the blueline or a T3 might work well). Check out my engine raft for some decent engines to consider slapping in.

-Maybe put a couple advanced cannon ammo thingies around the ship with some alternate rounds for the main guns, and connect a few random ammo input things in each turret to each of them. So over 50% of the shots are still what they are now, but they also sometimes fire other stuff as well, like anti-shield EMP rounds or HESH stuff or stuff like that.

-Speaking of, I am still somewhat freshly back. How much does the tracer part actually help for advanced cannons these days? If its worth it then that's fine, but otherwise you could use that base bleeder thing that increases shell speed maybe? I'm not some expert on APS though so someone else can probably give better advice. Regardless, I'm stealing that turret.

-Eh, someone else probably knows armor better then me. I think the current way is to try to do some layers of metal along with some wood and maybe stone beams or something? Maybe switch some metal with heavy armor around those precious turrets just in case there is some nutcase AI that doesn't try to aim for that oversized central magazine first. If they do that they are insane though. How can they NOT want to aim at the glorious aim-magnet?! Blow them out of the water for their impertenence.

-Um, I didn't actually look at those secondary and tertiary guns, sorry. Still, you could temporarily disable the GIGANTIC CANNONS OF IMMINENT DEATH sometime (remove their wireless transceiver or whatever), and see how well it fights some stuff without them. You can then tweak the secondaries (or just their ammo) until they are optimized for fighting whatever it is you want them shooting at (likely deduced by the rate at which the enemy explodes like cowards). Which I would hazard a guess is smaller faster stuff that the ginormoturrets aren't as good at hitting.

-Paint. Please, PLEASE do NOT use fleet colors for anything more then, say, some lines here and there and maybe the top roof of the bridge or something. Imagine that you are playing an RTS game, and that fleet colors are those small fractions of the ship that are either blue or red or green or some other color depending on which side is using said ship. ...I'm one of those people that use a bright fleet colors scheme. So any time someone uses fleet colors to paint a whole ship, I get a bright blue yellow red and white thing. To be fair, this would actually be fitting if it were a Gundam.

-I wonder if you would take it seriously if I told you to make the ship fly? Slap a couple giant custom jet engines on it! People have made kingsteads fly before. Hell, I've duck taped three paddleguns together and made it fly before. Ah, the good old Flying Way Too Much Paddle Gun. I should really make another one of those. The original was from the days before CRAM. It really needs an update.

-...you know, this has nothing to do with THIS ship, but those giant turrets would be sweet on a battleship-sized frontal-broadside trimaran (well, it'd probably be shorter than a normal ship). But then, I just like trimarans. They do tend to be pretty good at frontal assaults though in this game, since even with three hulls its still a smaller profile to shield up with the best shields then the entire side of a boat. Plus, there is something that appeals to the idea of the ship firing six of those massive turrets all at once right at the start of the battle.

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.
2018-07-12, 01:48 AM
Tracers are good for guns firing at least 180-240rpm, somewhere around there. If it only fires 60-120rpm, then the tracers will only help make 1 or 2 shells more accurate. I suggest maybe making 1/4 or so shells have a tracer, but keep most of the payload. Idk what gun this is (just going on Kurama's comment), but you probably don't want it for mains (especially with those long barrels), and only on the secondaries if they fire 150rpm or so, minimum, especially if you mix shells.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-07-13, 01:23 PM
(2018-07-12 01:41 AM)KuramaFox Wrote:  *Snip*

Thank you! I will comment all of your writings a bit later. I already like idea of making the ship fly. It's called Moon after all.

2018-07-17, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-07-17 02:49 PM by Iladge.)
It took me long time to reply properly. Sorry for that.

(2018-07-12 01:41 AM)KuramaFox Wrote:  Honestly, even in that unfinished state its remarkably capable of fighting other ships (I threw it against random high-point godly designs from various factions to see what would happen). [Thanks for doing tests. I appreciate it.]

That central ammo magazine is probably larger than it needs to be. But at the same time, it makes just about every enemy out there try to aim for that magazine before anything else, seemingly. Which means they are not trying to shoot, say, those nice, overly strong guns you have that are BLOWING THEM TO PIECES. And its not like you actually NEED that magazine (there are a few others, which seem smaller and better protected anyway), so its just fine for them to shoot at it. We'll build a new one later. Out of the molten wreckage of that silly ship that foolishly went for some excess ammo instead of shooting the guns. [I actually need all of that ammo to supply those hungry mains and secondaries of the ship. If my calculations are right, It`s more beneficial to have that much ammo than having to waste materials at producing ammo]

So some ideas I guess:

-Actually keep that central magazine, since it blowing up doesn't appear to actually cause much trouble. However, maybe replace the outermost boxes with heavy alloy? And maybe add a layer or two of armor on the hull on sides of that area? The longer the enemy has to shoot that excessive ammo bulge, the better. That area doesn't even have a pump or something, so its not like having holes in it actually hurts the current design of the ship. [I`ll do so]

-Shields would probably add a fair bit of survivability. [I know but I`m not good at placing them. Also, engines are a problem since I`m bad at efficient engines]

-For that, you need some engines. Fortunately, there is tons of room all over the place on that thing. Since its a big ship, you can probably go with fuel engines and get more efficient ones (a T2 like the blueline or a T3 might work well). Check out my engine raft for some decent engines to consider slapping in. [Many thanks. I`ll definitely take a look at your engines. Also, it seems to be a solution to a problem of keeping shields powered.]

-Maybe put a couple advanced cannon ammo thingies around the ship with some alternate rounds for the main guns, and connect a few random ammo input things in each turret to each of them. So over 50% of the shots are still what they are now, but they also sometimes fire other stuff as well, like anti-shield EMP rounds or HESH stuff or stuff like that. [EMP anti-shield rounds are already here, on secondary cannons of the ship. And mains use universal shell. The only downside is lack of anti-submarine weaponry. Maybe I should dedicate one of the main guns to shoot supercavitation shells and give it separate AI.]

-Speaking of, I am still somewhat freshly back. How much does the tracer part actually help for advanced cannons these days? If its worth it then that's fine, but otherwise you could use that base bleeder thing that increases shell speed maybe? I'm not some expert on APS though so someone else can probably give better advice. Regardless, I'm stealing that turret. [From my testing tracers with even such low firerate give almost maximum boost. Considering how short barrel compared to the shell on mains, tracers are mandatory.] [also be aware that those turrets are SUPER hungry for ammunition]

-Eh, someone else probably knows armor better then me. I think the current way is to try to do some layers of metal along with some wood and maybe stone beams or something? Maybe switch some metal with heavy armor around those precious turrets just in case there is some nutcase AI that doesn't try to aim for that oversized central magazine first. If they do that they are insane though. How can they NOT want to aim at the glorious aim-magnet?! Blow them out of the water for their impertenence. [I already have heavy armour around turrets and don`t want to increase cost over 500k materials. But I will consider this as an option]

-Um, I didn't actually look at those secondary and tertiary guns, sorry. Still, you could temporarily disable the GIGANTIC CANNONS OF IMMINENT DEATH sometime (remove their wireless transceiver or whatever), and see how well it fights some stuff without them. You can then tweak the secondaries (or just their ammo) until they are optimized for fighting whatever it is you want them shooting at (likely deduced by the rate at which the enemy explodes like cowards). Which I would hazard a guess is smaller faster stuff that the ginormoturrets aren't as good at hitting. [Secondary cannons are only for destroying shields and they do this fine. Tetraries (or in my case AA) are quete fine. I should test them myself when I will have some time]

-Paint. Please, PLEASE do NOT use fleet colors for anything more then, say, some lines here and there and maybe the top roof of the bridge or something. Imagine that you are playing an RTS game, and that fleet colors are those small fractions of the ship that are either blue or red or green or some other color depending on which side is using said ship. ...I'm one of those people that use a bright fleet colors scheme. So any time someone uses fleet colors to paint a whole ship, I get a bright blue yellow red and white thing. To be fair, this would actually be fitting if it were a Gundam. [I kinda like the look of the default metal and wood, but since the ship called Moon, I can paint it in some shades of grey.]

-I wonder if you would take it seriously if I told you to make the ship fly? Slap a couple giant custom jet engines on it! People have made kingsteads fly before. Hell, I've duck taped three paddleguns together and made it fly before. Ah, the good old Flying Way Too Much Paddle Gun. I should really make another one of those. The original was from the days before CRAM. It really needs an update. [I heavily doubt that my skills of building are sufficient, but launching the ship called Moon to the sky would be symbolical.]

-...you know, this has nothing to do with THIS ship, but those giant turrets would be sweet on a battleship-sized frontal-broadside trimaran (well, it'd probably be shorter than a normal ship). But then, I just like trimarans. They do tend to be pretty good at frontal assaults though in this game, since even with three hulls its still a smaller profile to shield up with the best shields then the entire side of a boat. Plus, there is something that appeals to the idea of the ship firing six of those massive turrets all at once right at the start of the battle. [I think it would be much easier than building the Paper Moon: Make one hull with two enormous guns and copy it until it`s trimaran. For a person as lazy as I am this sounds good. Also, the area/perimeter rate would be better on trimaran which as you mentioned makes shielding easier.]

2018-07-17, 06:12 PM
If that central magazine is actually needed for long-term fighting (relying on sheer capacity or just passive regen), then perhaps still shrink it slightly for more armor anyway. You can slap down some ammo factories around places you have some room to keep the ammo level up. They need power but you can slap in some steam engines, or if its intended for campaign use, some T2 or T3 fuel engines like Bluelines, Neptunes, Foxtrots, Saturn IIs, or some such.

As for the multi-hull idea... well, you could always try for the hell of it making a variant where you lopp off the back half of the ship and then duplicate the front half or something, making an approximately equivalent catamaran that does frontal broadsides. Well, if someone tried that it would probably be best to cut it off right between the forward and aft secondaries.

But its not like the single-hull version of the hull is bad or anything. The shape looks good enough, it seems pretty stable, and while it is a wider target (when showing broadside) it also is a little harder to hit with long range arcing shots then a wider boat, since long range arcing shots may land too far or too near. A wider, shorter ship may be easier to shield and armor due to lower surface area, but it is also "rounder" as a target to attacks coming in from above (where its target profile is not just the frontal appearance, but rather the appearance from in front and a bit up).

As far as flying goes, definitely could just for the hell of it sometime slap a custom jet or two on it randomly and see what nonsense ensues. If going for a serious attempt at flying, may be better to just take some of those turrets, and try to build some flying thing around them.

That said, the "easy mode" of a flying ship (which I see done surprisingly little) is the Final Fantasy 4 airship style. In other words, a ship that has overly large propellers at the top of (and possibly mid-way-up) several masts. Its true that being on masts means they are exposed, but they also are, well, on thin spindly masts that have a very small profile. And you can set up some decorative "rigging" that connects the masts to each other at the tops with a 1-block thick line of painted pipes or something, which technically causes a mast to still function if a shell hits it in only one spot.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:...irship.jpg

Having the lift that high up above the center of mass basically means that you can all but ignore the danger of tipping over. Lose a mast, and even then its more a concern of tipping over to front or back, but to a point that can still be corrected.

It does however mean that for most ships, the masts would conflict with central turret space. So you'd probably need to have, for instance, the turrets closer to center coming out the bottom of the ship instead or something. So in the end, it probably would be difficult to convert the paper moon into an airship even with propeller masts.

Personally, I think that the Onyx Watch should actually have this sort of thing as their "aircraft." Which is to say, ships that (canonically) would sail on the sea surface like normal ships to conserve fuel, and then fly into the air upon entering battle. Naturally, they would pretty much just be your standard OW ship design except with propeller masts on them. It especially fits because OW has a number of ships that like to mount cannons rather than using topside turrets, and this weapons arrangement actually works well for a propeller-mast airship (side-facing or side-mounted guns don't need to compete with masts for space on top of the ship after all).

Your giant expensive powerful warship of doom can be destroyed by dropping an anvil on it. One day, I will finally have enough engines to actually make a ship without stopping to make more engines.