Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DWG Fortress (To replace the Of Oil and Pirates FishingHole)
2018-06-13, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-06-14 03:09 PM by MizarLuke.)
DWG Fortress (To replace the Of Oil and Pirates FishingHole)
I am well aware that this has in no way been asked for or suggested about, but I had an idea last night so I made this. I always send no more than a small fleet north, if I send anything at all, in the Neter campaign. The DWG have small tiles there and fleets rarely come through the north. This here is a fortress somewhat designed to fill that void, probably placed 2 or three tiles from the right and 1 tile south of the OW border.

The vehicle itself is composed of a modified Marauder and Corsair connected by a mostly flat area of wood with some buildings. Like the Fishing Hole, Davy Jones Outpost, and some other fortresses, there is an open area in the middle surrounded by buildings and other structures. The main gun is a single 2m HE CRAM on a slow-moving turret with both axis and elevation turrets mounted on the starboard stern area of the Marauder. Lore-wise it is a heavy siege artillery gun used to defend against OW attacks and support raids against protected convoys. It also features 8 missiles, 4 on the Corsair and 4 in a small building, 4 torpedoes, where the Corsair's bigger turret was, 1 small CRAM, where the Corsair's small turret was, and (I think) 4 autocannon turrets for AA and on a separate mainframe.

There are 2 ACB-controlled cranes, a rotating radar, an oil refinery, scattered storage for fuel and materials, and an (inefficient) engine in the middile of the Marauder. ammo is split between the Marauder and Corsair, and AI is in the larger multi-story building. Processing cards are in the two ships. No resource gatherers at the moment, as there is no RZ where I imagined it going, but if an RZ is added or if it is placed on the empty RZ to the northeast, I can add a small spinning gatherer. No repair capablities at all.

Some more stuff: I don't know how well I did on detection, so it may need adjusted some. The firepower is probably lacking, with only 2 CRAMs, 12 missiles (8 and 4 torps), and some autocannons. If it isn't enough I can add a few turret buildings, but I think that limited firepower is probably good for an early base. I originally planned on using a Bastion or other small OW Castle ship instead of the Corsair and putting the ammo in it, saying lore-wise that a recently captured Bastion provided a safe storage for volatile ammo. I think it would also do well to have a subvehicle ship like a Sledge, either in the center or docked off the Marauder or Corsair. It also lacks a name.

Full lore (if put North of the starting fortress and Sinner's Outpost, though I think being used in Oil and Pirates campaign may be best.):

A captain heading North to rain an OW convoy experienced engine trouble on his flagship Marauder. No spare parts were available and he was in mostly unused water. The captain decided to abandon any attempt to continue on the raid and instead had his men rig up some buildings to stay in until help could arrive. Nothing but driftwood came along so the Marauder was anchored permanently and dedicated structures were erected. A damaged Corsair was spotted on the horizen after weeks of nothing and it arrived after some signaling. The damaged Corsair, not seaworthy enough to carry the crew out and unable to repair, was implemented into the structure on the end of a dock and outfitted with new defenses. After a sighting of OW forces on the horizon, the Marauder's massive frontal gun was placed on a turret emplacement to defend against any attack. Due to the loss of Pirate Lord Ruger's fortress, traffic has picked up in the area so the previously useless pile of driftwood turned into a defended trading hub for passing fleets. Destroying it would greatly weaken the DWG's presence to the North, and make the OW glad to see a defense gone.

Like I said before, I know that this wasn't wanted, so feel no extreme pressure to add it, but I think it would be a good addition to the campaign and provide a little more variety to the campaign. I'm not sure if this would be best as a fleet-producing fortress or best off like a village or RZ guard, since if it makes fleets it could easily destroy the starting fortress while a player is out attacking to the East, but a message informing the player of this, the RZ and defenses East, and the village northeast some time after the declare war message could aide the player in understanding the situation. I hope you consider this, and thanks for reading.

Another possibility is that this could replace the FishingHole in the Of Oil and Pirates campaign, with minor changes. To whoever reviews this, tell me where it would best find a home nad I can modify it to fit that place or role.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint  Northwest Outpost.blueprint (Size: 207.78 KB / Downloads: 2)

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-06-14, 08:00 AM
RE: DWG Fortress (Meant for North of Player)
Looks pretty cool
If it's up north, maybe include some pieces from the OW
Also put a subvehicle spawner on the little pier with something small like a vanguard

If this fortress spawned in the same place as the fishing hole and replaced it, then it would be a nice bit of cross-campaign stuff

(2017-10-09 09:22 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  Go take a shield generator, slap that on your ship and turn the bugger up to max.

KV-2: Derp Lord of the universe
2018-06-14, 02:02 PM
The bits without the ships look a bit too "professional"

[Image: dwQYBvX.jpg]
2018-06-14, 03:07 PM
(2018-06-14 02:02 PM)Neldonax Wrote:  The bits without the ships look a bit too "professional"

Yeah, I posted on Dicord too and ABYAY disliked the current buildings. I've been working on getting a style similar to the buildings.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2018-06-18, 02:03 PM
RE: DWG Fortress (To replace the Of Oil and Pirates FishingHole)
Looking nice already!

It could use a little more "semi-desperate orkiness" in spots, but I 'll be happy to see how the end looks.

anything that makes neter come alive some more has my approval.

Imperium Age of Sail Dev Idea
2018-06-18, 10:32 PM
It's been rejected over on Discord. The buildings don't fit the style, and the ships aren't well enough implemented into the structure. It could maybe be fixed, but I think it isn't quite close enough to style. I may make another submission, to replace the FishingHole in the Oil and Pirates sub-campaign, but I'm not sure.

2018-06-19, 04:22 PM
Spent an hour or two tweaking the Visuals on my own accord.
I added a mill, command tower, crane, upturned ship hull-shelter and a copy of a small house, plus a few little details and some paint

.blueprint  Northwest Outpost.blueprint (Size: 359.9 KB / Downloads: 5)

also added a little barrack which roof' is made of a dingy.
The fortress now also has a shuriken as subvehicle.

Imperium Age of Sail Dev Idea
2018-06-19, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 09:13 PM by MizarLuke.)
Nice! I can't do aesthetics so well, so that is a major improvement over my version. I'll link the new post over on Discord, and see if Vorpalim or Karbengo or someone else likes it.

Old BP so it definitely won't get overridden and lost.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Northwest Outpost.blueprint (Size: 217.15 KB / Downloads: 0)

Today, 03:36 AM
Here's a version with some improvements off yours, Carolus.

I've moved the Corsair up, and integrated it more into the structure, and did some other minor tweaks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.blueprint  Pirates Cove.blueprint (Size: 328.96 KB / Downloads: 0)