Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hydrofoils run aground
2018-05-14, 12:00 AM
Hydrofoils run aground
So I've had a lot of fun making some awesome hydrofoil designs, but every time there is any ground on the map at all, I either have to take manual control of the movement or accept that my designs will just run headfirst into the terrain.

How can I prevent my hydrofoils that cannot reverse from running into the ground, and instead either circling or serpentine as needed?

Also, I recognize this may be a trivial issue for many of you, but for some reason, I've had a lot of issue finding any on-topic pages on google.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-14, 05:42 AM
RE: Hydrofoils run aground
A Lua terrain avoidance program might be the best bet. If not you're going to need to set up a very well-tuned system of ACBs that detect and then turn away from shallow water.

In a more meta sense, most tournaments have no-land maps and I find this is why the 'N' menu and fleet move exists for easily issuing fleet commands to multiple ships.

Wish I could give you a better answer, but the AI just isn't that strong.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2018-05-14, 05:55 AM
There should be a minimum depth setting on the naval ai from what I recall, as well as a checkmark 'disable reverse.'
2018-05-15, 11:01 AM
(2018-05-14 05:55 AM)vyrus Wrote:  There should be a minimum depth setting on the naval ai from what I recall, as well as a checkmark 'disable reverse.'

In practice it's almost entirely worthless, unfortunately. Lua is the only reliable way.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-05-15, 01:08 PM
(2018-05-15 11:01 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  
(2018-05-14 05:55 AM)vyrus Wrote:  There should be a minimum depth setting on the naval ai from what I recall, as well as a checkmark 'disable reverse.'

In practice it's almost entirely worthless, unfortunately. Lua is the only reliable way.

I allways set min-depth to at least 50m (that is, for a ship with a draught of about 3m), and it keeps my ships away from the shore well enough. The algorithm used sucks, but it's not entirely worthless.