Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[2.16] ERA vs kinetic shells depends on speed
2018-04-19, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-19 11:03 AM by FourGreenFields.)
[2.16] ERA vs kinetic shells depends on speed
As in the title, it seems the effect of ERA on armour-piercing projectiles depends on their speed (and the game-speed). At 222m/s the shells were reliably stopped entirely by ERA (tried over a dozen times, all shells stopped), while at 331m/s they would pass through every time (also tested >10 times). At 0.5 game-speed the faster shells would then be stopped again, so probably an issue with the physics-framerate.
Considering it's so consistent (unlike projectiles occasionally flying through stuff), I'm hoping it can be fixed.

The testplatform I used should be attached.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Testplatform.blueprint (Size: 83.98 KB / Downloads: 1)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-19, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-19 11:33 AM by Gladyon.)
RE: [2.16] ERA vs kinetic shells depends on speed
ERA is there to stop jets coming from shaped charger aren't they?
They aren't meant to stop sabot (at least, not over what their AC and health can stop, as any other block).

A sabot shell gain kinetic damage and AC if it has more velocity (you can see that in the ammo customizer using the rail draw to increase the velocity of the shell).
So, it's normal that the same shell, traveling faster, can go through more blocks.

That said, it seems that there's a problem with the game speed.
2018-04-19, 12:21 PM
RE: [2.16] ERA vs kinetic shells depends on speed
(2018-04-19 11:32 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  ERA is there to stop jets coming from shaped charger aren't they?
They aren't meant to stop sabot (at least, not over what their AC and health can stop, as any other block).

A sabot shell gain kinetic damage and AC if it has more velocity (you can see that in the ammo customizer using the rail draw to increase the velocity of the shell).
So, it's normal that the same shell, traveling faster, can go through more blocks.

I made sure that the shells I used can pierce 2m metal though, so it would seem very weird that they could not pierce 1m metal + 1m ERA. Moreover, the projectile-follow claimed they still had massive kinetic damage left.

And while that's the main purpose of ERA, both RL and in-game ERA has other effects. E.g. sabot can be weakened (but afaIk not fully stopped) by ERA in RL (might be a way to balance sabot-spam, once shields get overhauled?). In-game, HESH is also stopped (Which kind of makes sense - the shockwave can't pass through the armour if you just throw the armour away), as is frag (as in the description of ERA-blocks). Not tested: Description also says HE is weakened if exploding on ERA. I suspect Hollow-Point can also be stopped by ERA, but that's not in the description.