Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I make a powerful Advanced Cannon?
2018-04-15, 06:32 PM
How do I make a powerful Advanced Cannon?
Hello Big Grin

I've been building land vehicles for a while now, and the only thing holding me back from building much better is the cannon. Whenever I build a vehicle, the cannon is always the under-powered component, making the vehicle not be able to penetrate itself or many other vehicles. Does anyone have any ideas or techniques they use to make advanced cannons much stronger? I use frags for the ammo btw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-15, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-15 07:33 PM by Skyer.)
RE: How do I make a powerful Advanced Cannon?
It depends what you want.
if you want to pierce something armored, but not shielded, AP/Sabot/Solid/bunch of GP or Sabot sabot Solid Work.
if you need to blast holes into things you use HE (only works on actually big shells)
if you want to shoot the Ammorack of something heavily armored have huge HEAT (Shaped charges) They do little damage but have a lot of penetration.
if you want to weak havoc inside of an armored thing, you use HESH (Squash Head), the stronger the most inner armor is the better for the shell (Glass is the best spall liner, since it has 1AP)
if you want to cook electronics you use EMP (with disrupter if you specificly target shields)
if you want to weak havoc to unarmored target or the deck things like barrels, detection equipment you use Frag.

there is no Best, it depends on what you want to do with it, and then try different things.

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-04-15, 09:42 PM
It depends on what the problem you have is. If all your APS are just small deck guns, then your problem is that tehy aren't big and can't be expected to do well. If you are using 500mm 8m shells against small fighters, your problem is that you are using the wrong shell. IF the problem is that your cannons are huge and have tons of open space, your problem is probably fitting in the right components.

For land combat, HE shells work extra well because they explode on a near miss if they hit the ground, and HEAT and HESH work well against the stronger armor of tanks.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-04-18, 03:30 AM
You've got 2 things to do with APS.

You need to fire fast and you need to fire big.
So you can go with small rounds, rapid fire. Death by a thousand cuts.
And you can go with big rounds. Hard hits hurt.
Or you can do both and have a rapid fire 500mm APS. That usually means you go big. It also means you get to pound hostiles and flip tanks.

For shell type, the most all purpose you can have is inertial frag. It severely gets countered by multi layered shields, but other than that it's a reliable source of damage.

At high gauges, >300mm HE and HE based shells (HESH and HEAT) are also great. Lower than that you usually want to keep it kinetic or frag.

Seen the various land based tournaments there've been? They are a good source of combat optimized cannons of various sizes since people post blueprints more often than not.

(2016-10-27 12:13 AM)Chromoid Wrote:  AdNecrias, you have earned this:
[Image: EObLzKD.png]
Bear it with pride, my friend. *salute*