Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to make Rail Cannons consistent?
2018-04-14, 10:14 PM
How to make Rail Cannons consistent?
Simply put, I am working on a ship that is planned to have 16 500mm cannons as primary. I plan to use a Rail system to help the projectile move quickly, but in order to get a decent speed, I need 40,000 draw from each gun. How can I set up the ship so the guns won't steal from each other and all projectiles fired have the same speed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-14, 11:23 PM
RE: How to make Rail Cannons consistent?
Just provide enough engine to charge whatever the draw is from all of them, and leave some reserve ( ie don't make the guns draw from 100% of the battery ). I'm not sure what you mean by "steal from each other" - the guns charge from battery before they fire, there's nothing that can deplete something already charged other than firing the gun.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-04-14, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-14 11:46 PM by oventoaster955.)
So... since I plan to have 16 of these, I should set the power draw to 6.25% per gun? Didn't know it was that simple...

Also, Rails draw straight from the batteries. Logically speaking, I would need a minimum of 640K batteries to achieve the 40,000 draw I need for the guns. Is this correct?
2018-04-15, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-15 04:01 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
Assuming you've a fire rate of 20rpm per gun you're going to need about 214k ( fuel ) engine power to keep up with the guns ( no idea what sort of steam engine would give 215k charge/sec ). As long as you have that you can fill all your guns even with 40k battery, I think, they charge up over the entire gun cooldown period rather than all in one go. I'd use more as a bit of a buffer myself ( hence not telling the guns to use all of it ) but the battery is only there to convert engine power to rail charge.

I will say though that that is a complete waste of engine power & thus RP burned in fuel, high velocity railguns are practically useless. The laser or PAC you could build with that sort of power would be monstrous.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-04-15, 07:01 AM
The Rails are primarily meant to get the shells up to a speed decent enough for a 2km range - the shell is is basically a minmaxed HESH round with 2GP and 13 HE modules with special factor 1. Compared to my previous HESH designs, they output a spalling metric of ~470 m/AC compared to the previous 360.
2018-04-15, 08:59 AM
40k draw just for that ( especially something like HESH ) is insane though. The stacking penalty on 13 HE modules will murder you too...

2018-04-16, 02:07 AM
At that rail charge, try using some railgun casings. Just plug in the rail charge value (40k) and see if the muzzle velocity goes up.

I would suggest changing 1 or 2 HE to GP or ralgun casing, because you will need so much less power for slightly weaker shells.

The more railgun magnets you have, the less battery power they will need access to (they use the same amount of power, its weird).

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast