Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your favourite fictional universe?
2018-04-12, 03:42 PM
Your favourite fictional universe?
I was wondering - we see a lot of great builds on the workshop and around here that are greatly inspired by existing settings, concept art of existing universes, ...

From the depths is obviously a building game that lends itself well to enacting and living nerdy fantasies from star wars to anime, so I decided I'd ask what is everyone's favourite fictional universe hereabouts?

Mine would be Fading Suns (originally by Hollistic, which also made a lot of early WH40K video games, the inspiration shows)

It not only has a lot of 40K vibes (a whole postutopian neomedieval feudal theme), it's aproximately also 1.5 times more grimdark and at a far more believable "power level"

Imperium Age of Sail Campaign Custom Campaign Dev Idea

Check it out here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-04-12, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-12 04:09 PM by Skyer.)
RE: Your favourite fictional universe?
If I would know that many fictional Universes... Big Grin
I Like the Gothic Universe (And Risen for that matter) Played those when I was small, Never managed to finish them though, I'm really bad at finishing games :/
Kerbal Unvierse is fun, Because well derp Big Grin and 10x higher gravity for mass Big Grin

Homeworld is interesting universe, Didn't play the campaign to much though.

Well like I said, I don't really know that many, I universes, I'm still only 16 (17 in 2 months) so I didn't see//play that much, And read even less books for that matter

My builds are mostly based on IRL things, and that's also my design style.

BTW, I've managed to get myself to read "A Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy", I love its randomness Big Grin

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-04-12, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-04-12 04:37 PM by benzo711.)
Universes where the main protagonist is a robot.

I like to imagine me and my faction invade theirs and since I imagine me and the Armads being cyborgs they're torn over whether to resist or not because cyborgs are technically living beings (and usually in universes like that there's a rule where robots can't harm living things).

Either that or universes where there's a war on because I imagine the Armads joining in on no particular side for the fun of it.

"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."-TheMightyJingles.

My last name is Proctor
The Proctor is a ship in the game
Yay. I'm happy.

Blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28006
2018-04-12, 05:36 PM
For me it's the universe created by David Weber, the Honor Harrington series.
I'm currently re-reading all the books (in the correct order this time).

I really like the abundance of characters and the physics Weber used.
As I love science-fiction and old naval battles (with ships of the line), his universe where you get both of them mixed is exactly what I always wanted.

Unfortunately, the ships are horrible, really horrible..... but I don't mind in a book.
2018-04-12, 08:07 PM
I'm not terribly original, so it's got to be star wars. Not disneybullshitfuckery wars, but PROPER, EU star wars, with admittedly a large dose of headcanon and of ignoring things I think are stupid (I don't care what the canon says, there is no fucking way a guy was able to pull star destroyers down from space with the force).

I've always kinda hated "hard" scifi. It always feels so... dull. Like, everything is technically correct, and characters and such are technically good, but there's no sense of fun. I also kind of feel like it's attacking my dreams of spaceships jetting of to unknown stars and grand adventure, or clashing in epic battles. It always feels lie they're going "AAACCTUUALLY, space is probably going to be really hard and kinda spaghetti, and your dreams are childish!" This may have as much to do with fans as the material itself, but one way or another it persists.

A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.
2018-04-13, 08:53 AM
Worlds of Roger Zelazny, especially Amber (10 books, 3 roleplaying games), which is a multiverse with all the possibble realities between the great power poles of order and chaos.

Altough my faction has it's roots in Warhammer 40000, the philosophy is vulcan, the technology is borg, the society is cybran, and the mood is curious, and having fun.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-13, 11:51 AM
WH40, its clone Starcraft and all Blizzard made universes in general. They are very good at world building.

And of course, Command and Conquer universe, mainly the Tiberium branch of the franchise.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-04-13, 04:42 PM
Has to be the WH40k universe without a doubt

[Image: Screenshot_2017-03-12_12.08.10.png]

I'm gonna cuddle you meow :3
2018-04-13, 07:24 PM
(2018-04-13 11:51 AM)mrvecz Wrote:  WH40, its clone Starcraft and all Blizzard made universes in general. They are very good at world building.

And of course, Command and Conquer universe, mainly the Tiberium branch of the franchise.

Did you just say WH40K is a clone of starcraft? Bruh, do some research....

A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.
2018-04-13, 08:11 PM
(2018-04-13 07:24 PM)Unhinged mechanic Wrote:  
(2018-04-13 11:51 AM)mrvecz Wrote:  WH40, its clone Starcraft and all Blizzard made universes in general. They are very good at world building.

Did you just say WH40K is a clone of starcraft? Bruh, do some research....

I've only ever played 2 WH40K games and I agree that it is nowhere near a Starcraft clone.

"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."-TheMightyJingles.

My last name is Proctor
The Proctor is a ship in the game
Yay. I'm happy.

Blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28006