Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two small propulsion-related suggestions/fixes
2018-03-20, 05:12 PM
RE: Two small propulsion-related suggestions/fixes
(2018-03-20 11:01 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  As I said, it won't be an easy one to fix...

grab wheel velocity, reset wheels, restore wheel velocity ?
Assuming you can slip some code in before they are reset.
And you don't mind horrifying hacks Blush
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-20, 06:31 PM
(2018-03-20 05:12 PM)vyrus Wrote:  
(2018-03-20 11:01 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  As I said, it won't be an easy one to fix...

grab wheel velocity, reset wheels, restore wheel velocity ?
Assuming you can slip some code in before they are reset.
And you don't mind horrifying hacks Blush

It's a Unity wheel, so it's behavior is ruled by physics, I cannot just set its speed, I have to apply some force to make it move.

I don't mind horrifying hacks as long as they get the job done, but I do need some time to understand Unity wheels a bit better to know what I'm doing.
2018-03-20, 07:29 PM
(2018-03-20 06:31 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  I don't mind horrifying hacks as long as they get the job done, but I do need some time to understand Unity wheels a bit better to know what I'm doing.

heh, yea. Hopefully you can get some info off of Nick about it, wheels have been in a pretty weird place for a while; they work, but they could use a lot of tweaking.
2018-03-20, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-03-20 11:05 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
The 20 wheel limit was solved for KSP in some way ( they may have just used a rigidbody per wheel & summed everything into the main vehicle rigidbody, I dunno ) but they also definitely don't reset vehicle velocity to 0 when a wheel breaks. Nick seems to have done something a bit odd involving virtual wheels here, how exactly does the current code handle excess wheels? the tooltips seem to suggest it picks the best 20 somehow, but I've not actually ploughed through anything to work it out and you have Smile

T+G - I meant +ve & -ve keys together simulate the T+G behavior for default controls of "stop", not that they have to be bound to T&G.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-07-16, 09:09 AM
The drive maintainer thing is related to the fact that pressing 'T+G' sets the ship's forward command to 0.
So, the maintainer does the same thing with its commands, if you send an 'increase' and a 'decrease' command simultaneously, then it will reset to 0.

So, you have to ensure that you never send both commands if you do not want the drive to reset to 0.
2018-07-21, 09:15 PM
(2018-07-16 09:09 AM)Gladyon Wrote:  The drive maintainer thing is related to the fact that pressing 'T+G' sets the ship's forward command to 0.
So, the maintainer does the same thing with its commands, if you send an 'increase' and a 'decrease' command simultaneously, then it will reset to 0.

So, you have to ensure that you never send both commands if you do not want the drive to reset to 0.

Why would an ACB do that in a frame though? the AI shouldn't be sending forward & backward commands in the same frame, surely?

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.