Poll: Interested ?
Yeah
No
I don't care
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Just to know...
2018-04-24, 11:48 PM
RE: Just to know...
I would love for this to come back. My computer died a few months after I had gotten into it, and a Hurricane delayed replacing the computer. But now that I can play again, I would love to try and do things better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-05-01, 07:07 PM
You guys waited for my Bday to be active or it's just Cptn that brought you out ? ;P

Jokes aside, yeah, I don't have the time to run something very "serious" in the meaning that it's very time taking even tho that's what I originaly planned; basicaly what I had in mind was to add more freedom to the player by adding some sort of tech tree; also changing some of the rules to something that could work without being as contraining as the previous one, but wit hard caps; aka trusting the player to limit his crafts on his own but giving him a hard cap limit to know how to limit (backward engineering the rule); but as itwas getting absurdly complex I decided to just fix the previous ones using the same methods but simplified.

Regarding the RP/building balance; tbh what I prefer is the RP because as I'm used to RP a lot; comming in a RP with a whole plot and characters and plans and strategy is very easy to me and doesn't need time; it's about estimating what others may plan to do in case you do something that starts to take a slight more time; however for the building, it's what made me leave the project from the start, it annoyed me on many poit because of the build; a normal realistic DD for example takes me no more than 10h with minimal aesthetics; a DD for So35 took me nearly 30h let alone the mental effort to check everything you're doing is right for the rules and if you haven't forgot something, etc...
Besides in our faction, we did not co-op that soon, most of the discussion was about political issues; but when your faction leader gets rekt within the start of the war he started (Nebelux xD), you wonder how much the colab helped to improve designs :'), so yeah I haven't thought much about the colab building part

Tho I'd gladly invite everyone interested on my discord to discuss ideas of how we could turn the project, and rule it eventualy.

King of the Idrillian Kingdom ; my BP Thread ; my To-Do on Trello.

[Image: y8k6hzd5]
2018-05-01, 08:08 PM
(2018-05-01 07:07 PM)UnderTrack Wrote:  You guys waited for my Bday to be active or it's just Cptn that brought you out ? ;P

Jokes aside, yeah, I don't have the time to run something very "serious" in the meaning that it's very time taking even tho that's what I originaly planned; basicaly what I had in mind was to add more freedom to the player by adding some sort of tech tree; also changing some of the rules to something that could work without being as contraining as the previous one, but wit hard caps; aka trusting the player to limit his crafts on his own but giving him a hard cap limit to know how to limit (backward engineering the rule); but as itwas getting absurdly complex I decided to just fix the previous ones using the same methods but simplified.

Regarding the RP/building balance; tbh what I prefer is the RP because as I'm used to RP a lot; comming in a RP with a whole plot and characters and plans and strategy is very easy to me and doesn't need time; it's about estimating what others may plan to do in case you do something that starts to take a slight more time; however for the building, it's what made me leave the project from the start, it annoyed me on many poit because of the build; a normal realistic DD for example takes me no more than 10h with minimal aesthetics; a DD for So35 took me nearly 30h let alone the mental effort to check everything you're doing is right for the rules and if you haven't forgot something, etc...
Besides in our faction, we did not co-op that soon, most of the discussion was about political issues; but when your faction leader gets rekt within the start of the war he started (Nebelux xD), you wonder how much the colab helped to improve designs :'), so yeah I haven't thought much about the colab building part

Tho I'd gladly invite everyone interested on my discord to discuss ideas of how we could turn the project, and rule it eventualy.

Making it more accessible and less time consuming should be the first step before going anywhere.

And i would say the time investment and the obscene pages of rules are the biggest issues here. Throw realism out of the window, it doesnt do well in the game.

If i were you i would simply create an universe with its own sets of rules, something more akin to FTD "fantasy" tier realism. For example:
1) Craft has to actually fit in to a factory that makes it, so for 300m long battleship you need 300m long factory
2) Such factories can be only build on vulcanic terrain title only (Max 4 facs per volcano title ?)

Or

You can make 300 metres thick box of doom but
1) You need to have a factory big eneugh to build it
> Already increasing cost
2) You need to build such massive factory
> Delayed deployment time
3) You need to construct such freak contraption
> Delayed deployment time
Lets say theres a limit how fast can the factories make vehicles (Lets say such thing is 15 000 blocks and factories work at 1000 block per turn)

So, lets say the factory is 11 000 blocks to house said box, that means it takes 11 turns to make the factory, 15 turns to make such thing. In total, it takes 26 turns to make just one of such things while your economy suffers.

In 26 turns, either somebody raids your factory (Lets say Factories can be build only on "Lava" biome titles so it aint possible to place it in the backyard of yer empire. Or you are losing grounds due to weakened economy and lower regular unit production and you are gona lose anyway.

Or enemies already have sufficient units to take that thing down, multiple fighter squadrons, bombers and combat airships, tactical nukes or missile cruisers.

Having all BP public (or atleast a picture of them) could discourage obscene vehicles, if one guy has 9k meta hovership while everyone else has normal looking and creative units guess who will they gang upon.

Not sure how many of these rules were active in the So35 but i'll throw them here anyway.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-05-02, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-05-02 09:15 AM by NutterChap.)
It is the realistic theme, both in looks and functions, that attracted me at first. Just throwing that out the window doesnt work for me, personally.

I do agree the rules were way too complex, but IMHO the BP checkers were either unavailable or untrustworthy. And you must have some way of BP checking, otherwise, some people will cheese and cheat the flying crap out if the ruleset.

BP checkers must be honest, transparent about their own designs, and they should follow the same rules. Last time, these were some of the biggest issues AFAIC.

Also, a 'tech tree' simply showing what technology can be used from which date forward, would be a good help. A simple RoF table for APS. Not use weight but resource cost. And some of that Risk style playing with units and factories on a world map would be good. Just dont make the borders fluent: static plots of land, like on a Risk playfield.

Is there a list already of people joining?

Another idea: the only way to involve aircraft strikes on the sea is to have aircraft carrying ships around, or be close enough to a land based airfield. If CVs spawn in with the aircraft as subvehicles, perhaps there is a role for CVs, finally.

And take a look at the ruleset of sea encounters by harnas1977. I think you could take a page from his book. And have confrontation battles filmed, and played out using tournament mod. That makes the outcome of the battles transparent, you can learn what the units of the other is capable of, it is a showcase of those units in action and... I think it is fun to watvh. Of course, 1 battle per confrontation, and make the rules such that battles wont take longer then say 5 minutes. After that it is a matter of health% remaining. If you want you can do an assessment if the unit's ability to move. When lost, the crew will scuttle the ship regardless of health. Unless of course a ship remains on your team that is capable of towing.

Intertwining RP in this, what do you widj to support, in this rendition of so35?
Resource sharing between nations
Uboat vs convoy scenarios
Harbor blockading
Bombing of cities and facilities
Siege of key positions like cities
Invasions like normandy and salerno
Joint strike by allied nations including posdible division of land
Building industry and getting it destroyed
Long range (propaganda) weapons like V1 and V2

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
2018-05-02, 01:54 PM
Throwing realism out of the window is out of the window, it's the base point of it removing it is just insta-no Tongue

Anyway, my tech tree idea was that I would figure out what kind of tech and stuff could be allowed or improved as time goes down, for example a player could spen tech points to unlock HEAT, HESH or Sabot ammo (was used for tankery in late WWII)
Or they could reduce the RoF delay to improve the RoF, etc... but as you guess it's far too complex; tho the idea of preparing a table and indexing tech with their unlock date could be a good idea.
For the map, we had a newer idea; basicaly there is a direct improvement of the map by cptn and sylv; and my map; I can't realy explain you sylv's map beside sthe fact it has 400 tiles; for my map it's simple, I made "Regions" which are all composed of 3 "Provinces"; those provinces follows national or regional borders as much as possible; basicaly the rules would stay pretty similar, however a player would start with a region but stats would be held by the provinces, also, you must conquier a whole province to gain control over it, a region can be splited, but a province cannot; unless specific agreement between the team and the players involved.

Regarding the CV part, it's a no, simulating such battles was an hell, including base bombing would be nearly impossible or very annoying for the team.

Last point, it's a RP not a tourney ;P tho battles were already using the tournement mod iirc; but with the amount of units and the fact that the team's PC can't always hold up, the fact we can't delay the thing to task others which aren't even involved makes it even worse, so prob a no;

"Intertwining RP in this, what do you widj to support, in this rendition of so35?
Resource sharing between nations
Uboat vs convoy scenarios
Harbor blockading
Bombing of cities and facilities
Siege of key positions like cities
Invasions like normandy and salerno
Joint strike by allied nations including posdible division of land
Building industry and getting it destroyed
Long range (propaganda) weapons like V1 and V2"

What does the 1st sentence means in english ? Tongue

2018-05-02, 01:58 PM
Also, if we used mass instead of ressource cost, there's an actual reason for that ;P

2018-05-14, 01:36 PM
One thing I noticed was that many designs began to look alike in a way or another, with heavy focus on specific niches due to certain limitations. Prototypes should be able to make an interesting one off weird variable. With the potential of certain ones getting an altered mass produced model. It would allow some oddities to appear earlier than their mass produced equivalents in the real world. Shake things up a bit. Also one of the issues is that if the technology has the capabilities to do something at that time, but no one in the real world thought of it, or received funding to make it until years later, would that mean that ideas are forced stagnated? If even another could have "thought" up the idea.