Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Make building a lot easier on us
2018-03-05, 06:57 PM
Make building a lot easier on us
I'm sure this must have been suggested in the past...

When you place a block of X length, the mouse cursor moves forward X number of blocks. For example, placing a 4m beam longways will move your cursor 4 meters forward, so you can rapidly place the next one. Similarly, if you place a 4m beam sideways, the cursor moves 1m. What we need is for the same behavior to occur when deleting blocks. Currently, building something large and then changing your mind as to the design is a pain in the butt if you have to delete long beams lengthwise. If you delete/right-click a 4m block lengthwise, the cursor only moves 1m backwards rather than 4m. This prevents you from being able to hold the delete key to rapidly delete unwanted blocks. So please, make delete move the correct length/width of the block being deleted. Or at least make it an option.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-03-05, 07:28 PM
RE: Make building a lot easier on us
(2018-03-05 06:57 PM)Targa Wrote:  I'm sure this must have been suggested in the past...

When you place a block of X length, the mouse cursor moves forward X number of blocks. For example, placing a 4m beam longways will move your cursor 4 meters forward, so you can rapidly place the next one. Similarly, if you place a 4m beam sideways, the cursor moves 1m. What we need is for the same behavior to occur when deleting blocks. Currently, building something large and then changing your mind as to the design is a pain in the butt if you have to delete long beams lengthwise. If you delete/right-click a 4m block lengthwise, the cursor only moves 1m backwards rather than 4m. This prevents you from being able to hold the delete key to rapidly delete unwanted blocks. So please, make delete move the correct length/width of the block being deleted. Or at least make it an option.

It's already been suggested, and done, and removed because it was more painful to use than the current system.

If you remove a 4m beam and the cursor go back 4m it will only work if the cursor was on the end of the beam, if it was in the middle then you won't have your cursor where you expect it to be.
It would be needed to implement a more complex behavior in order for such a feature to be really usable.
I've added it to my todo list, and if I can find a 'good way' to do it then I'll do it.
2018-03-05, 07:46 PM
The way I remove beams lengthwise is to have a beam selected, facing towards the way I'm deleting, and to click each time the cursor turns red and click moving me still in the direction of moving. The beam prevents me from accidentally placing more blocks.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-03-05, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-03-05 08:36 PM by vyrus.)
Why not move to the next block in the direction you're deleting? Only drawback I could see there would be that it's probably hard to implement that behavior, but it should be possible.

If we're after quality-of-life changes to building I've got some suggestions too (although maybe making separate threads is a better idea):

Have an option to leave the cursor in-place when switching between sub-constructs\hull. When making a very tall turret's armor and forming the hull around it I often switch back and forth, which causes the build cursor to reset all the way down to the turret base, killing a lot of time. So maybe an option or key modifier (shift-[ or shift-]), since most of the time you want the build cursor at the sub-construct you just selected.

When you access the ammo intake UI it will always reset your camera back to the avatar on closing. Do I need to say more? It's kind of infuriating, especially if you're setting a bunch of intakes to different shells.

While this happens very rarely, sometimes I'm building something squarish and actually want 2 mirror planes (x and y at once).

Build queue \ history would be amazing. I don't know how painful it would be to implement, but being able to ctrl-z would really make mistakes more forgiving; especially the ones where you cut off the wrong half of your craft.
2018-03-06, 11:45 AM
(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  Why not move to the next block in the direction you're deleting? Only drawback I could see there would be that it's probably hard to implement that behavior, but it should be possible.
There may be no block before that one.
It's probably something like that we should do, but there are a few 'wrong cases' to manage, and yes, it's quite a lot more complex to implement than just going back one block...

(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  If we're after quality-of-life changes to building I've got some suggestions too (although maybe making separate threads is a better idea):
I've linked that thread to my 'todo list', so it may be a good place for that, if the thread do not spiral out of control...

(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  Have an option to leave the cursor in-place when switching between sub-constructs\hull. When making a very tall turret's armor and forming the hull around it I often switch back and forth, which causes the build cursor to reset all the way down to the turret base, killing a lot of time. So maybe an option or key modifier (shift-[ or shift-]), since most of the time you want the build cursor at the sub-construct you just selected.
If I understand well, it would be for the key-based mouse building mode only, and as long as you do not exit that building mode then the game should remember the last position of the build cursor on each SubConstruct?
That is a good idea, I usually exit build mode, move the camera to the next place I want to build, and enter build mode again.
But as you pointed out, it would be more efficient in some situation to be able to return where we were.
That said, I'd like that feature to be linked to a better way to go to a SubConstruct.
Currently, if you have 20 of them it's a real nightmare to use the keys.
That's the main reason I always exit build mode and point the camera to the SubConstrcut I want to modify and enter build mode again.
I never use the keys to go to the next SubConstruct or to the MainConstruct.

(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  When you access the ammo intake UI it will always reset your camera back to the avatar on closing. Do I need to say more? It's kind of infuriating, especially if you're setting a bunch of intakes to different shells.
Yeah, I'll see what I can do for that one...

(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  While this happens very rarely, sometimes I'm building something squarish and actually want 2 mirror planes (x and y at once).
For now, I'm looking for small improvement, that one would need to modify, and probably re-code, a large part of the code, so it will have to wait that we finally decide to completely clean that part of the code, and it may take a while...

(2018-03-05 08:36 PM)vyrus Wrote:  Build queue \ history would be amazing. I don't know how painful it would be to implement, but being able to ctrl-z would really make mistakes more forgiving; especially the ones where you cut off the wrong half of your craft.
Unfortunately, I see no easy way to do it.
In fact, the only way I see would be to save a blueprint (in memory only) each time a block is added/removed.
And then, delete/pop the vehicle when you undo.
The problem is that will not work as-is, because when you pop a vehicle it's not in the same state it was when you saved it.

In fact, it would be exactly the same as putting the vehicle out of play and then in play, so a lot of variables would be reset, which means that it's out of a question to do that while in battle.
Maybe having that feature only when the vehicle is frozen, but even then, it may have a lot of unwanted side-effects.

I know that feature would be a premium, but it's very hard to implement, especially without any ill-effect.
2018-03-06, 12:23 PM
Rect remove?
2018-03-06, 01:44 PM
(2018-03-06 12:23 PM)moonruner Wrote:  Rect remove?

That one would also be very welcome.
We just have to decide what to do with blocks which are half into the zone.
I think we should remove any block which has at least a part in the zone, so we ensure the full zone is completely empty.
2018-03-06, 03:50 PM
I find ] greatly useful for setting my APS turrets and their turret blocks as I tend to start with main weapons and then place secondaries and AA guns
2018-03-06, 05:15 PM
I never put them in the right order, so...

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-03-07, 12:23 AM
I wasn't even considering the fact that beams only have a 1m square "starting point", and if you delete from the middle of a beam your cursor will end up in the wrong place. However, I would think that most people are like myself, in that when you're laying out a large ship hull you do it with all the beams facing in the same direction. My current method (which works fairly well) is to go out past the end of the beams, then double-tap the direction key so the cursor is moving fast, then spam right-click.

One of the things that is an issue is that when you "cut" a large section off a vehicle, you need to make sure that the part you want to keep has more mass than the part you're cutting off, otherwise the game will discard the wrong part. This is not helpful if you want to delete more than 50% of what you have.

So how about this as an alternative to being able to quickly delete beams and/or cut out huge sections of your ship:
Make a menu like the "Capture Prefab" menu (you can call it "Delete Selection"), except that it only has a setting for width, height, and length, and that whatever you put in the bounding box gets deleted when you click. I would love to have that.