Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cram Defense
2018-02-11, 11:00 AM
Cram Defense
Hi,

Im trying to not use Laser Defense Systems and i wonder if advanced cannons or Missiles can be used to destroy Cram shots much like they can hit Missiles Smile

or are the only Cram defences to not be hit or shoot them down with laser defense system?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-02-11, 11:03 AM
RE: Cram Defense
Sorry. Only shields, lasers and armour will work. APS, laser (and probably a sufficient CRAM system) can shoot down missiles, but only lasers can take out CRAM shells.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-11, 02:36 PM
okay

how good do shields work against cramcannons? I thought that the faster the shell the more effectiv the shield. Cram Shells are often very slow. Is there any sense in shields against Cram Shells?
2018-02-11, 04:02 PM
They worked reasonably well for my experimental bomber, considering its small powerplant, however it's shields are highly sloped so they stopped some of shells hitting them.
Metal armour can bounce CRAM shells especially for underwater hits.
2018-02-11, 07:38 PM
hmmm,

so, how much laserdamage would you recomend when shooting down most Cram Shells?

how much engine Power is needed when i dont want to rely on armor?
2018-02-12, 01:07 AM
(2018-02-11 11:03 AM)YD12 Wrote:  Sorry. Only shields, lasers and armour will work. APS, laser (and probably a sufficient CRAM system) can shoot down missiles, but only lasers can take out CRAM shells.
CrAMS (CRAM Anti-Missile System) weapons are possible. Explosion damage affects missiles out to the explosion's nominal radius, so a high-power CRAM system can function something like an APS flak anti-missile system.
That said it's exorbitantly impractical.
2018-02-12, 08:32 AM
Your best bet instead lams are water and movement.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-12, 03:27 PM
Best cram defence is indeed moving out of the way. Some shells can have up to 2000 health, so you need a pretty enormous LAMS to kill a full volley off.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 12/01/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-02-12, 08:11 PM
Speed, maneuverability, and LAMS. High-strength or layered shields can also work.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-02-12, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-02-12 11:05 PM by Levits.)
(2018-02-11 07:38 PM)zirid Wrote:  hmmm,

so, how much laserdamage would you recomend when shooting down most Cram Shells?

how much engine Power is needed when i dont want to rely on armor?

Personal testing shows that a minimum of 7000 to 8000 damage is needed to successfully intercept a Cram shell at the LAMS default 500meters. These tests being spread between 3 firing points for added redundancy and coverage on my test ships and platforms.

Armor Penetration is not a large concern but also worth considering.

I found that at around 5000 damage, the lasers were unable to intercept the Cram shells reliably within 500meters. This could be due to the random accuracy of the beams but at 8000 damage, there is a clear difference in shells being detonated.

However, the more damage output the better. The problem is that the size of the laser system to reach 8000 damage is rather large and the amount of power needed to sustain such a thing indefinitely is upwards to 30,000 engine power.

At least that is what I've tested so far. I've yet to get into actually playing around with the laser generation blocks to see exactly what does what.

It is also worth noting that I did not test any of those systems out past 500meters. It is potentially possible that 5000 damage is enough as long as they begin firing at the Cram shells sooner; as in further away.