Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Nerf the bloody lift sources already
Today, 01:26 PM
RE: Nerf the bloody lift sources already
(Today 02:11 AM)Lightning Foods Wrote:  I think thrust power is not the problem because planes in Neter are slow. The problem is, air in Neter is toooooo heavy. I feel flying in Neter is like swimming in jelly. Flying things should fall much faster.

So you mean that we should increase Neter gravity? That would it become harder for ships to stay afloat?

Quote: I would certainly like for aircraft to be properly fast, and actually fall rather than drift down when disabled, however, unfortunately making that at all workable would require a full rework of all weapons except I suppose hitscan ones, and probably a thousand other things as well. If I were in charge of the game, I would do it anyway, however nick has said somewhere or another that he likes things to be slower.

I think it is possible to make gravity affect shells and vehicles differently like now missiles are currently not affected by gravity at all if they have working thrusters. FTD is in alpha and that means that everything is subject to change, right?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Today, 02:23 PM
(Today 01:26 PM)Kapun Wrote:  
(Today 02:11 AM)Lightning Foods Wrote:  I think thrust power is not the problem because planes in Neter are slow. The problem is, air in Neter is toooooo heavy. I feel flying in Neter is like swimming in jelly. Flying things should fall much faster.

So you mean that we should increase Neter gravity? That would it become harder for ships to stay afloat?
Air density and air drag. A wide enough craft and it simply has too much drag to fall at all.
Today, 03:58 PM
I think air density/drag are a different (though related) issue than the block balance one. Neter has a thick, soupy atmosphere, and apparently pretty low gravity, as well. I'm OK with that, and as Mechanic said, it's a design decision on Nick's end. Personally, I really love those big stupid DWG airships and wouldn't want to see them go.

For me, the real issue is that, as I have outline above, flotation technology is inferior to flight in cost and volume efficiency, in addition to the other advantages the latter has. Buoyancy needs to be made more effective, and/or power costs for blades and thrusters need to be greatly increased. The latter probably requires the least tinkering with existing designs. I also think it's ridiculous that wings and blades don't even need to be exposed to air, but it sounds like that's a tougher one to fix.
Today, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: Today 07:22 PM by Kapun.)
Maybe instead of nerfing airships we should buff ships? Just make them sink less (make water heavier)?
Today, 08:08 PM
In my opinion, buoyancy numbers feel good. The amount of stuff you can put in ships feels about right. If we increase buoyancy, you just end up with ships becoming as solid as airships are. As it is, when building ships I feel like I have to worry about weight enough to be challenging, but it doesn't feel overbearing or unreasonable.

H͢elp!̵ I'͝ve bee͡n t̛rapped͜ ͏i͝n̢ ́my͝ co̕mpu͜t̴er! ҉A ҉bo̵t͢ ͏c̶o̷n̨ţrol͢s ҉m̸y͘ body͏!