Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Autopilot for planes
2018-01-16, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-16 11:25 AM by GronScott.)
Autopilot for planes
I would like an autopilot block for from the depths! This is how I would want it: it would be able to land (Safely) It would be able to take off and dogfight. It would cost alot (Like 5k) or more because it is amazing. This should also come with a runway block. Runway blocks should be placed x amount of blocks under the runway and follow it the entire way. Also slowing down should take longer so big planes cant just slow down in 3 seconds. You should be able to create patterns for planes to fly into the airport (like in patrol mode for the ai but planes try to up ling with them)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-16, 01:51 PM
RE: Autopilot for planes
The Aerial AI card actually already have autopilot functions if you think about it. Combat mode basically puts it in level autopilot (unless there are enemies around) and fleetmove are used to set up patrols and flight routes.

Use fleetmove instead of patrol, aircraft manages much better on fleetmove waypoints than patrol (depends on aircraft, I guess?) and you can loop fleetmove waypoints easier, fleetmove waypoints also save with the game so you can set up a route and it will stay there for the rest of your game. Just don't set your fleetmove waypoints too far apart or the AI will decrease altitude too much between them and crash.

Taking off is normal in FtD but the AI can't do soft landings. I use conventional STOL aircraft almost exclusively and I build runways using rubber blocks, they take off from runways and even confined carrier decks pretty nicely, even when PID'd.

With some creative use of ACBs and docking stations, you should actually be able to set up pretty believable AI landings if you want to. Maybe FtD's AI will be capable of conventional landings in future but it would be difficult to program. Maybe your runway idea could be used to assign aircraft to, which then controls assigned aircraft into a smooth animated landing.

If you don't like the thick atmosphere of Neter slowing down aircraft so quickly, you could always edit the Neter campaign in the campaign editor and set the conditions to Earth-like, this may screw up quite a few of the other factions' planes though.
2018-01-17, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-17 07:33 PM by MizarLuke.)
RE: Autopilot for planes
This would be a bit complex and add many more difficult things. 5k is a huge cost for small fighters, doubling the cost. Aerial AI or LUA can do most of what you wanted.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.