Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An idea for fuel and steam engines.
2018-01-15, 10:49 AM
An idea for fuel and steam engines.
Currently, we get fuel in boxes. Apart from the little red canisters, which look pretty nice on small ships. Steam engines use materials, but can be annoying if you use them up on repairs.

As fuel is a liquid, I propose only offering the canisters as a box of fuel, and instead have a mechanic similar to air-pumps, where as an enclosed area of the hull can be pumped with oil instead. The space can be filled when resources are transferred. If the area is hit, oil will 'leak' and you will lose the resource at a rate depending on how big the whole is. The whole area could be explosive, so a HE shell could trigger and explosion scaling to amount of oil in the space. Being different from air pumps, an oil pump could be heavy. The oil would be heavy and not particularly buoyant. I believe this would save a lot of ships on block-count.

I think steam should work from a separate resource; coal. Coal will be a block as it is solid, and could offer beams and larger boxes. Coal would be space inefficient, but isn't explosive and offers some protection against incoming damage. Therefore, could be good for use between hull gaps, as is historically.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-15, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-15 02:12 PM by Normal69.)
RE: An idea for fuel and steam engines.
We had multiple resources a few big updates ago - it got simplified for one material.
That's why we still have a lot of types of material containers. Wink
I doubt they would take a step back.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-03-05, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-03-05 05:53 PM by ChilliganWithGilligan.)
RE: An idea for fuel and steam engines.
I like the idea as it can lead to more realism but the coding would be a nightmare from what I could guess, maybe just more sizes of fuel container (up to a 6x6) as essentially that would solve the issue of tons of small fuel cases, as far as the coal and steam engines idea goes I prefer the material burning simply for usability in adventure mode. However as aesthetic pieces go and maybe as an alternative fuel source for steam engines it could work because a lot of warships used coal as a type of sandbag to protect areas of the hull. And it could work do that the steam engine uses coal but if the coal runs out you can still use material (the equivalent of shoving your mattress into the burner lol)
P.s. sorry for the necro
Find all posts by this user