Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CRAM Cannons and energy weapons
2018-01-20, 12:03 PM
RE: CRAM Cannons and energy weapons
CRAM works better on crafts designed with defense in mind. They can overcome LAMs in barrages, 24 1500mm cram shells can easily over come Thyr's LAMs. Addition of fuses and good HE means they can tear apart armor airbursts. They can't overcome their slow shot though. Though if you shorten the distance, like shooting CRAMs straight down at targets, you can make hits a bit more reliable. They're also nice for campaign use, since their ammo consumption is very low, and don't pop completely, though the up front cost is high. Oh yeah, EMP on cram is fairly good at melting HA boxes in crafts.

Lasers are very good, though their effective goes up the larger the ship. They're the best scaling weapon, but they cost a lot of resources to run in a campaign, but they're very good for hitting air targets. When facing SD, you'll have the best results using lasers. Lasers, like missiles, allow you to make a fairly fast and/or agile craft and still be able to hit targets with ease.

PACs are hard to mount, but they are the weapon you use when you're having trouble damaging a heavy defensive craft. To be honest, PAC are a bit underwhelming when you actually mount and make a craft around them. The inaccuracy at range makes their use very limited, including the lack of fov.

If thread is cancer, run awey quik and let dem otder pepple deep wit it.
-Lemming 2k16 (Inner grammar Nazi intensifies)
(2016-03-27 12:23 PM)BaronBaconeer Wrote:  8/10 Builds things. BIG things. Will possibly cause someone's computer to crash in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-02-07, 05:32 PM
General question for anyone here...
How do I go about getting the kinds of accurate shots I find the enemy AI accomplishing? I get that the shells are lobbed at targets and that time and distance is iffy, but I've seen the faction ships just wreck things at range with accuracy that rivals the AP railguns of Advanced cannons

From what it seems, I fire a round, it has a 50/50 chance of hitting (<yeah, probably a worse chance). However, the enemy AI seems to not have the same problem. What would you say is the most important part to getting accurate shots to the target?

It's not really just the CRAM cannons either. I know they are slow and not designed for flying things or fast things, but I seem to have the same issue with Advanced cannons as well; and I'd at least expect to be able to pull off the same chances to hit as the enemy AI. Time to target isn't that bad as most of the Advanced cannons ammunition gets up to 500-600m/s velocity and I ensure the barrels are at a minimum for accuracy length, but I have to be missing something with either the AI targeting parameters or some setting on the gun itself. <CRAMS seem a heck of a lot more simplified so I have no idea where I'm going wrong with them.

Only good thing that's come from this is that I've managed to create a LAMS that can take out at least 5 CRAM rounds per enemy volley, but I would like it a lot better if my shots actually landed and destroyed the enemy instead of having to deal with these battles of attrition I've been getting stuck in.
2018-02-08, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-02-09 12:55 PM by Normal69.)
Small laser: I currently experimented and build a small laser into the nose of Ratatoa between the two turret-plates, an it seems to be effective enough.
Shaped like a drooping T, 2Q, 2*storage, around 2*4 loader cavities with 2*3+2*1 pumps, and 5-6 Ap cavities.
It has 4000 damage with 100AP, shot in every 9 seconds. uses not a lot of energy.

CRAM accuracy: somehow I've built a really accurate module (observe on Hauler Cabrio) which pinpoints the enemy almost 2kms away. But that could be attributed to my component design, and every unit containing an intra-vehicle transmitter.
Also anything near detects better than far - even an intentionally slow and inaccurate missile with radar buoy can help.

oh, and for PAC mounts I use pac spheres on lightblock base - that way they could be really accurate on tight fields.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-09, 03:31 AM
Lasers used to be awe-inspiring weapons. Did the engines update make them impractical? With the old fuel engines we could get a tremendous amount of power, and there was even a bug that a certain size engine went to zero fuel use. Made it easy to have massive lasers. But the new engines seem to take things too far in the other direction. You need a ship the size of a battleship to house enough efficient engines just to run a decent LAMS setup, let alone offensive lasers. Any engine designed around power while keeping minimal size (ie: fuel injectors) just eats up way too much fuel, seems like.
2018-02-09, 10:45 AM
I have no problem with new engines actually, they make sense with linear scaling unlike the old ones.
Also lasers to be able to melt a focking meter of metal with 0.05s exposure would need 4 nuclear reactors each having 1500MW power to run such a laser

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-02-09, 12:58 PM
How modular engines sound?
I began to experiment ammowise, but you can have two smaller sub-vehicles which are radiating electric power to the main one.
The engine drones should focus on protection, and enemies will target the main one because weapons, ammo, et cetera...

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-02-09, 02:35 PM
Lasers are also heavily countered by smoke and the newish laser absorb shields. My only craft with offensive lasers in the adventure mode and powered by RTGs. The RTGs make up most the cost, but the laser is very strong, capable of killing a metal beam every 1/4 second hit. Most lasers now don't use destabilizers.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-02-09, 05:58 PM
(2018-02-07 05:32 PM)Levits Wrote:  General question for anyone here...
How do I go about getting the kinds of accurate shots I find the enemy AI accomplishing? I get that the shells are lobbed at targets and that time and distance is iffy, but I've seen the faction ships just wreck things at range with accuracy that rivals the AP railguns of Advanced cannons

From what it seems, I fire a round, it has a 50/50 chance of hitting (<yeah, probably a worse chance). However, the enemy AI seems to not have the same problem. What would you say is the most important part to getting accurate shots to the target?

It's not really just the CRAM cannons either. I know they are slow and not designed for flying things or fast things, but I seem to have the same issue with Advanced cannons as well; and I'd at least expect to be able to pull off the same chances to hit as the enemy AI. Time to target isn't that bad as most of the Advanced cannons ammunition gets up to 500-600m/s velocity and I ensure the barrels are at a minimum for accuracy length, but I have to be missing something with either the AI targeting parameters or some setting on the gun itself. <CRAMS seem a heck of a lot more simplified so I have no idea where I'm going wrong with them.

Only good thing that's come from this is that I've managed to create a LAMS that can take out at least 5 CRAM rounds per enemy volley, but I would like it a lot better if my shots actually landed and destroyed the enemy instead of having to deal with these battles of attrition I've been getting stuck in.

Do you have detection systems for your AI? You also need to fiddle around with the averaging times for each mainframe in the detection menu (press Q on a detection block). Faster rounds need shorter averaging times. For lasers, set the averaging times to the lowest setting.

Stick in a couple passive radars, some passive sonars if you're in the water, and load up on the trackers. The camera and IR camera gimbal trackers are good for bearing and the laser rangefinder and radar gimbal are good for range. Stick some 90 deg. radars and 90 deg. cameras here and there for backups. If you want to use stuff like the 9m rangefinders, retroreflections, and the wireless snooper, for detection purposes only, set their priority to 0.1 in the detection screen since their data is largely useless due to slow update rate. Make sure to add enough processing cards to your AI.