Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CRAM Cannons and energy weapons
2018-01-06, 11:56 PM
CRAM Cannons and energy weapons
After far too much time spent tinkering on designs and building ships, I noticed that there were two things that I almost never found a purpose for.

Every CRAM cannon I built was vastly out-performed by a smaller, lighter, and cheaper advanced cannon. They became useless against small, fast, distant, or well-armored targets due to their low velocity and lack of customization. I knew they're meant to be larger, but no matter how gargantuan and dense I made these cannons, the massive damage never outweighed their problems.

Lasers have a similar issue. I had always wanted to use them in this game, but mid sized ships with large engines and lasers were still outgunned by smaller, less fuel hungry designs. Once or twice I used them against fast moving craft, but defense systems are the only thing I use them for regularly. As for particle cannons and rail guns, the batteries needed to make them stand our were too large to be used.

I love this game and the idea of using different weapons now that custom cannons are long gone, but I feel like I'm missing something that lets these interesting weapons be effective.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-07, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-07 12:08 AM by Skyer.)
RE: CRAM Cannons and energy weapons
In some ways i agree, it is pretty much so that ACC are very good, but ery well designed CRAM can be very cheap and quite competetive, so.me ppl in the forum know how to builds CRAMS in a very special way.
Lasers also have to be designed well to work and the biggest thing about them is that they are hitscan.

It doesnt strictly mean that ACC s are the best they just are the most versatile ones.

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-01-07, 01:18 AM
Personally, i think that CRAMS are pretty much one of the few things which can quickly break a well armored and shielded battleship - at least before the shield nerf. Basically, if you have a large enough shell with inertia fuse, the shield distance and strength won't matter. I also like to make CRAM bomber planes which are typically quite effective.
2018-01-07, 01:32 AM
(2018-01-07 12:07 AM)Skyer Wrote:  Lasers also have to be designed well to work and the biggest thing about them is that they are hitscan.

I'm still trying to get laser to work, but so far a design with the most efficient reasonably sized engines, high armor pierce, and pulsed beams uses about 7000 fuel to kill a kalmar or any other crappy DWG ship. Many of the shots go under water and do minimal damage. Do you have or know of any designs that I might take a look at to see a more practical laser?

Also, where can I get information about these "special" CRAM cannons on the forums?
2018-01-07, 10:03 AM
I don't remember who build them, Ask in the commponent design for crams, "How to build very eficient CRAMs" or something like that.

Lasers will always need a lot of power, I would recomend going for a single beam(only one cavity lenght thingy) 1 or 2 Q switch and no Destabilizers and a few freqvency doublers until you get 20ap or so.

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2018-01-07, 10:14 PM
Efficiency or no, CRAMs are just bad. They suffer too heavily vs anything that's far away, fast, flying, underwater, has LAMs or has competent shields.
Lasers are currently a bit undertuned and the wavefront is bugged, but still decent as backup hitscan.
Dunno what you mean with PACs, they're pretty great, if hard to mount.

Uses the golden ratio.

[Image: n4pzmbo]

Fat_ninja - today at 1:40 PM
Would the perfect pair of boobs be 1.6 times the size of the body or vice versa?
2018-01-08, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-08 09:52 AM by Normal69.)
See my latest neter video about why you need crams - my Ribsub could have killed that Perforator in the end with crams.

Also I see people complain about the ineffectivity about crams who are using inaccurate fuseless only explosive ones.

Try for a timed+penetration depth+inertial fuse, and frag+EMP+explosive+AP payload = that is heavenly. :3
In case of glancing off/near miss, it goes of, peppering everything with frags and explosion - if it hits, it penetrates deep, then all damage types are going off inside the enemy.

Also you can make compact bomb-chuted ones, like on my Monk recon-terror plane.
(I think the dimensions are 3*3*5 there)

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2018-01-08, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-08 06:07 PM by MizarLuke.)
CRAMs are pretty bad, but they do alright if spammed, some things like BB Brawl ships, small 3x3 inhull CRAMs spammed with 10 to a side can do quite a bit of damage.

I may do a CRAM tetris tutorial here at some point.

For lasers, they are great AA, and if done right, can easily drill though armor. I have a fairly small laser in my adventure playthrough that, when I tested it in the designer, can kill each of the 5-6 AI and ammo storages protected by HA in the OW Eyrie in about 5-10 hits, firing 4Q.

They are best for AA and LAMS, they do poorly as main weapons, I think.

I never use PACs, and railguns only rarely. I recommend a small bit of railgun, just 1 attachment and a couple rails, with 10-20 rail chargers where you can fit them. It can easily speed up the shell 100-200m/s and can increase accuracy.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2018-01-12, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 2018-01-12 03:03 PM by Tryptic.)
(2018-01-07 01:32 AM)lizard2547 Wrote:  Also, where can I get information about these "special" CRAM cannons on the forums?

There aren't many of us. CRAM cannons will never be truly competitive until the devs agree to increase the velocity cap to 250 or 300 (something that almost happened in this patch)

I have been quietly working on the Ultimate CRAM project with Nutterchap for several months now. He started with smaller CRAMs while I started with bigger ones, and we're meeting in the middle, sort of. Here is one you may find useful:

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...#pid347420
2018-01-17, 03:07 AM
Tryptic, I would be willing to join you in your quest, especially if you need tetris help. Do you happen to know what tetris shape Nutterchap is using for 3x3? There is a more efficient setup using all three dimensions, sorta like the 5x5 engine tetris using carburetors.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast