Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alloy vs metal
2018-01-01, 03:08 AM
Alloy vs metal
At a bonus of only 90 HP and 2 Armor, at the expense of 8X more weight (!) why would I ever use Metal, unless I need armor in a compact space? I can easily layer 4m of alloy, and it'll be half the weight of metal at the bonus of much more HP and armor per weight.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2018-01-01, 03:32 AM
RE: Alloy vs metal
Because metal still costs the same, so if weight isn't a concern (or as much of a concern, for example with ships, where you can probably get away with 2 or even 1 alloy then the rest of the wall as metal without any serious issues), it is still a stronger option in all aspects.

Alloy nowdays is a fairly tempting trade-off however, especially for air units where using alloy instead of metal means you need a fair amount less lift to stay airborne, meaning you can use less lift systems or have overall thicker plating.
2018-01-01, 04:55 AM
Or you could look at it that metal has 25% more HP and 15% more armour for the same cost. Use alloy when you need lightness or bouyancy or the dubious advantage of low radar return, else why would you *not* use metal?

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 12/01/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2018-01-01, 05:59 AM
Completely forgot about cost. Makes sense though.