Poll: What do you think about the suggestion?
Good idea
Bad idea
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Increase material cost of all weapons and fuel
2017-12-19, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 03:41 PM by draba.)
Increase material cost of all weapons and fuel
For now things that are good in combat are usually completely packed with weapons/engines.
On top of that there's no reason to ever use the really fuel-efficient engines that newbies tend to like a lot.

My suggestion:
  • Increase material cost of all weapon systems(APS, CRAM, PAC, lasers, missiles) to ~3x the current value
  • Until shield rework is here decrease shield power needed to ~50%, buff disruptors to 2-3x current damage
  • Increase fuel and steam material cost to 3-5x the current value

Result:
  • Optimal designs use a smaller portion of their volume on weapons, having empty space and internal compartments would be more attractive
  • Optimal designs use a smaller portion of their volume on engines, some room to play around with efficiency
  • A slight overall durability buff
  • Propulsion power draw is a bit more noticeable, speed slightly more expensive

Wouldn't break anything and would shake things up a bit IMO.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-19, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 02:06 PM by Normal69.)
RE: Increase material cost of all weapons and fuel
Neutral idea for me - I still experimenting with fuel, so I can't have a stable opinion - and I will stuff an unreasonable amounts of weapons everywhere, anyways. Smile
Also I am not an optimizer type - if it works, then it works - so I have a disability to use really precise optimisation.

Just for your interest, if fuel and steam cost will rise, I'll return to full RTG powered shared electric energy distribution fleets, and no or low cost energy weapons.
Happy holydays!

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-19, 02:14 PM
(2017-12-19 01:48 PM)draba Wrote:  For now things that are good in combat are usually completely packed with weapons/engines.
On top of that there's no reason to ever use the really fuel-efficient engines that newbies tend to like a lot.

My suggestion:
  • Increase material cost of all weapon systems(APS, CRAM, PAC, lasers, missiles) to ~3x the current value
  • Until shield rework is here decrease shield power needed to ~50%, buff disruptors to 2-3x current damage
  • Increase fuel and steam material cost to 3-5x the current value

Result:
  • Optimal designs use a smaller portion of their volume on weapons, having empty space and internal compartments would be more attractive
  • Optimal designs use a smaller portion of their volume on engines, some room to play around with efficiency
  • A slight overall durability buff

Wouldn't break anything and would shake things up a bit IMO.

I'm a little bit uncomfortable about things with no internal room getting a nerf since I've never really built anything else, but I think this would be for the best.

I do think giant spamcannons should be prohibitively expensive if shields are ever going to be optional.

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-12-19, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 02:25 PM by draba.)
(2017-12-19 02:14 PM)Kaonicping Wrote:  I'm a little bit uncomfortable about things with no internal room getting a nerf since I've never really built anything else, but I think this would be for the best.

I do think giant spamcannons should be prohibitively expensive if shields are ever going to be optional.

Same for me, never built anything else since there was no reason to(though air gap in armor could be good now).
This is a minimal effort non-breaking change that'd reward the more "natural" building styles a bit.

(2017-12-19 02:05 PM)Normal69 Wrote:  Just for your interest, if fuel and steam cost will rise, I'll return to full RTG powered shared electric energy distribution fleets, and no or low cost energy weapons.

Nothing preventing you from doing that Smile
As a heads up, for 30 minute battles RTGs would still be worse than fuel engines if fuel cost was increased to 10x the current value.
2017-12-19, 02:55 PM
I think injector engines are fine.
Good power, but require a lot of fuel volume or it will be run out of fuel very fast.
Need frequent returning to the base to refuel.
2017-12-19, 03:14 PM
(2017-12-19 02:55 PM)killshoot Wrote:  I think injector engines are fine.
Good power, but require a lot of fuel volume or it will be run out of fuel very fast.
Need frequent returning to the base to refuel.

That comes up pretty often, injectors are bad compared to turbochains:
- sameish PPV for 10 minutes(IIRC worse if turbos can be 9x5xN)
- almost double the cost for 10 minutes
Only useful if you have something really small that can't get full bonuses on inlines(and for some reason don't want steam turbines + batteries).
2017-12-19, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 03:22 PM by Eagle.)
One thought though: If fuel is to become more expensive, an option for drained or semi-drained fueltanks should be present so that you don't have to bear all the initial cost of purchasing fuel but can refine and fill up.

In any way, I'm getting really tired of the forward broadsider meta in Neter and the spamguns, so this is a thumbs up from me.

Procrastination level is over 9000
2017-12-19, 03:36 PM
(2017-12-19 03:21 PM)Eagle Wrote:  One thought though: If fuel is to become more expensive, an option for drained or semi-drained fueltanks should be present so that you don't have to bear all the initial cost of purchasing fuel but can refine and fill up.

In any way, I'm getting really tired of the forward broadsider meta in Neter and the spamguns, so this is a thumbs up from me.

Yes, buying empty tanks in the campaign would be a godsend(you can refine fuel much cheaper than the nominal 1/10 ratio).
2017-12-19, 03:45 PM
+1, though I think it may be best to reduce it to ~2x cost for weapons, and 2-4x for fuel. Keep in mind that this will be negative towards the player, since enemy ships will spawn at the same rate, while the player will need to pay 2-3x as much for certain essential parts. I think it would be a nice change for adventures too, meaning that you don't pack your ships or aircraft even more full of weapons every time you get some resource, encouraging building armor and such.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2017-12-19, 03:47 PM
This should be acompanied with all resource increases in campaigns. Since only racking the prices for... useful things will only make the campaign bigger and bigger drag before you get anywhere.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user