Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A couple questions about the campaign
2017-12-18, 01:35 AM
A couple questions about the campaign
I've been playing the game for a total of 143 hours now and most if not all of them were spent in the vehicle designer, and i got some questions regarding the campaign.

Is it better to design vehicles in the designer and port them to the campaign, or build them in the campaign?

Is it possible to never use lasers during the campaign?

Lots of small ships or few big ships?

and to prevent future questions i'd appreciate links to good guides to follow, or just things to look at to learn stuff, i'm somewhat experienced when it comes to building vehicles at this point but i always like learning new stuff.

All in all i really want to play the campaign but i never get around to it because i spend all my time in the vehicle designer adding more forces to my fleet instead of actually playing the campaign.

Thanks in advance and also hello forums.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-18, 02:09 AM
RE: A couple questions about the campaign
Most people build in the designer I think. You can build in the game, but you will be under a Time crunch and it would be best to forego some form over function, and it's harder to test things.

Of course it is!

Mixture of both. Like in real life. But of course you can spam 50,000 resources worth of tiny stuff, but you'll lose most of that in every later battle. Tiny spam is good for the start until you get 3 or more infinite resource zones. Then you can start going bigger.
2017-12-18, 06:56 AM
1) It depends, sometimes you have to build with resources in mind so you could build directly in the campaign, but beware since time flies, you are giving enemy AI time to build its forces to attack you. So making vehicles in designer and checking the price constantly is the safest and most useful way to make new vehicles.

2) It is, lasers are way to easily negated by smoke and laser absorb shields, require considerable infrastructure for gut damage. Though you should supplement the lack of "Hitscan" weaponry by particle cannons or railguns since certain factions have tiny jets that can dodge most conventional ammuntion with ease.

3) Big ships all the way, your resource investment wont go puff so quickly in battle against factions beyond DWG

Now some general tips
1) Dont use RTG's
2) Dont bother building structures and fortresses, keep everything mobile. Structures and fortresses are extremely vulnerable to flanking. Fortress AI wont turn towards its enemies unless you micro it and structure cannot turn at all once placed. Keep everything mobile so you can retreat if you cannot win the battle.
3) Use repair bots and repair tentacles in reasonable number (Eneugh to prevent getting paper cutted to death, but watch out since its economy hog)
4) Try to fight factions in 1vs1, dont go against multiple factions at once
5) Board as much as you can, scrap useless units for buttload of resources
6) Use shields, without doubt, this single block can render alot of cannons absolutely useless. Drasticly increases survivalability of your units.
7) Always keep some kind of backup force.
8) Its best to make 1 or 2 giant blobs of combat formations as your sole fighting force, AI is so dumb it will charge at the closest (And probably the same fleet that is destroying its vessels) and engage with your strongest unit formation. Meaning two things
A) Theres no point in building defences on your RZ's since AI wont get to them since it gets shredded by your main fleet in the front lines
B) Its pretty much all in, if you do lose all of your units in a single battle, then you know you are screwed and should reload a save before that calamity would happen.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-18, 03:07 PM
I'd recommend building in the designer so you can build things for the future that you can't afford in game yet, it is possible to not use lasers although they are my preferred main weapon of choice, and I'd recommend starting with small ships, then get some medium to big ships, then substitute the small ones with mediums and work your way up to large. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing the resource system that requires trade routes. That makes the game much harder later on.
2017-12-18, 08:52 PM
To answer your questions

1. It's better to build in designer though building in campaign is the best way to pass time if you don't (for whatever reason) wish to use the acceleration buttons.

2. Yes, lasers make life easier vs fast targets, but there isn't a campaign ship that can't be killed without them.

3. A better way to ask this is: fleets or monoliths? I prefer fleets. A fleet of ships offers you far more flexibility in combat and can better handle battles in rapid succession (since you can disengage part of the fleet to repair). Contrary to popular belief, small ships can be made both very durable and very powerful, esp if they heal each other. If you practice giving orders a little it's not hard to keep them alive, and in the event that you do make a mistake (or the enemy makes a good move) and lose a few it's much cheaper. A fleet can generally afford to lose a few ships, but a massive dreadnought that takes a lucky hit to the main engine can cost you the game. Furthermore, there are increasing numbers of campaign designs that excel at wrecking singular large vessels. It's also worth noting that a group of smaller ships can easily have a lower operating cost than a single large ship of the same total purchase price. This is because the cost to move and protect a larger hull is often not linear with cost.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-12-19, 12:17 AM
Thanks much for the replies guys i've gotten a fair amount of clue on how to approach the campaign now.

And now i've started work on a little helicopter/airship but decided to start making the guns first and have run into another issue.

This godforsaken gun can't shoot accurately past a meter or 300 no matter how much i extend the barrel it couldn't hit the broad side of a 2000m away barn
[Image: 1uM23Xb.jpg]
[Image: 2zETK8B.jpg]
[Image: 6Py95ya.jpg]

It's a real shame considering these shells pierce through about 6 layers of wood but because the DWG is usually small ships i'll have to rely on missiles and waste ammo using this thing regardless.

I've given myself terminal brain damage trying to wrap my head around figuring out how to make it work without turning it into a railgun, but i just can't get anywhere so i hope you guys are more knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.

Also excuse the size of these goliath images i don't know how to rescale em with forum commands.
2017-12-19, 03:25 PM
I recommend building a small fighter first, nothing big, just a few missiles, ~80-100m/s top speed. It can deal with just about everything early game.

Post the blueprint of the vehicle with the turret so we can look at it better. I can't view the images right now, but I recommend checking the shell, make sure you use a shell head, and not too long of a shell.

Simple weapons, particularly the auto cannon and simple laser can do very well early game. Set the max range for the laser to 500. It doesn't use power, and just uses a small amount of ammo, so is great early game. I recommend a small laser for AA or for LAMSif you struggle against aircraft or missiles and CRAMs.

missiles are nice and easy to use early game, since most things can't defend against it. Try using radar missiles, sice they don't get distracted by flares.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-19, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 03:56 PM by Landmineman.)
I placed a camera on the other side of the platform because the sole radar wasn't tracking things well enough, it definetely improved the accuracy but i feel there's ways to get even more accuracy on it.

Here's the blueprint, and thanks for the tip, i'll make a jet if the helicopter ends up obliterated.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  TestPlatformStartingPlatform.blueprint (Size: 125.81 KB / Downloads: 5)
2017-12-19, 06:54 PM
(2017-12-19 03:56 PM)Landmineman Wrote:  I placed a camera on the other side of the platform because the sole radar wasn't tracking things well enough, it definetely improved the accuracy but i feel there's ways to get even more accuracy on it.

Here's the blueprint, and thanks for the tip, i'll make a jet if the helicopter ends up obliterated.

Use a rangefinder (not the laser one). Those provide very good bearing and range accuracy. Radar tracking is the best though, but that uses more processing power from the motherboard thingymaboper.
2017-12-19, 07:24 PM
(2017-12-19 06:54 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  -snip-
motherboard thingymaboper.

Might that be the AI mainframe and general purpose processing power things? lol

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.