Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Request] - Efficient Cannon Designs
2017-12-16, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-19 01:16 AM by YD12.)
[Request] - Efficient Cannon Designs
Does anyone have a efficient methods of creating Advanced Cannons/CRAM Cannons? I want to pack the most components into a single space.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-16, 07:58 AM
RE: GIVE ME THE SWASTIKA!
There is no good turret all around, especially if it goes to size,you cannot mount a 13x13x10 turret into a PT boat can you? and a 3x3x10 is not good enough for a BB for main battery, that's the reason why I build custom for EACH of my ships, to this point I have not used the same gun on multiple ships yet, as I customize the gun to the ship, not the ship to the gun.

So if you want to get a turret build a) specify for size stats and what you want
b) don't make some think that this is an ad because of its name Tongue

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
Find all posts by this user
2017-12-19, 04:01 PM
RE: [Request] - Efficient Cannon Designs
For CRAMs, there are a few designs that allow you to get the most efficiency or connections in a certain circle, I can put some together if you want.

For APS, I tend to use a 3x3 center of coolers with autoloaders around it. Not using clips typically works best, but having 2 or 3 clips per loader also works ok. There is a spreadsheet for determining the best ratio for coolers to autoloaders. I recommend building it exploded, ie just a blob above deck to determine how much of everything you need, then add everything together in a turret. Look up turret circles if you don't know them.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2017-12-20, 04:50 AM
Sure, go for it. My CRAM cannons probably aren't the best.
2017-12-20, 12:08 PM
There is no perfect APS gun, but here are some important tips:

1) Work out the cooldown time and reload time; the reload should never be significantly more than cooldown (if it is swap some autoloaders for cooling units and your DPS will increase)

2) Find the optimal number of separate guns, that is max(floor(V/4V_g), 1), where V is the total volume of all the APS components and V_g is the volume of the barrels, mantlet, firing piece and all gauge increase, splitters, cooling and recoil absorbers needed for one gun. This formula assumes there are no tetris issues so if you are having trouble fitting it into an oddly-shaped space perhaps go with fewer guns. BTW, unless you have very big guns this formula is almost always 1.

3) Autoloaders should have 2 clips each, tetris notwithstanding, or on small guns clipless tends to be best

4) If it is not turreted, it should have ejectors on every loader. If it is, aim to have ejectors anyway (ejectors pointing into the bottom of you ship is safer than no ejectors at all)

5) Beltfed guns have better DPS while firing, and for gauges above 250mm if you put enough inputs on the beltfed loaders they are a free upgrade compared to 1m autoloaders and only ever have to reload for 0.5 seconds max

6) For tiny guns just go direct-fed

7) You'll probably need some way of shooting DCs at them since shields are pretty much a hard counter to APS in the current meta

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2018-01-12, 08:18 PM
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...#pid347420

This is the result of a fair bit of CRAM tetris study. If you study it yourself you'll be able to find some useful techniques, I think. If you want a smaller gun, give me a specific size/damage request and I'll see what I can do.
2018-01-12, 09:42 PM
APS-guns were a mystery for me for some time, but here is the Tutorial which made it finally click for me:

Maybe it helps you too

Some may know me as the most boring, consistent person on the planet, others as the most irritating erratic.
If you can't make sense of my sentence structuring, don't worry. Me neither. Language and I are at odds sometimes.
2018-01-13, 01:33 AM
(2018-01-12 09:42 PM)GerJS Wrote:  APS-guns were a mystery for me for some time, but here is the Tutorial which made it finally click for me:

Maybe it helps you too

Thankyou. And to all the other halp Big Grin