Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the bare minimum detection?
2017-12-14, 12:39 AM
What's the bare minimum detection?
What's the bare minimum detection you can use for all-round vision? I've been using a single 360 radar with 4 90 cameras, but these are pretty hungry. I've had limited success using 90 radars.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-14, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-14 12:54 AM by Lincrono.)
RE: What's the bare minimum detection?
one 360 camera or radar.

next step up is one 360 camera/radar + a radar tracker.

I typically try to have at least on laser range finder, one gimbal camera, and a 360 degree or rotating 90 degree detection source. Simple reason being that the gimbal camera gives the best bearing, the range finder gives the best range, and both generate high sample rates.

the best all-around tracker is the radar. It's still very accurate (bearing and range) and has a good sample rate. at the same time it's all-weather and hard to obscure.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-12-14, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-14 10:55 AM by draba.)
If you use stock autodetection a single camera gimbal tracker is usually enough, add a 90° camera on a turret/spinner if you are up against really tiny things.
Could also add a laser range finder and/or retroreflection since both are practically free for what they do.
2017-12-14, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-14 06:50 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
Radar is annoyingly short range... absolute bare min is just one 360 of some sort, but it'll be rather inaccurate for gunnery.

If you have all round 90 coverage you don't need a 360. If you have a turret then use a 360 for overall cover and 90s on the turret as a smokeproof alternative to trackers, cam 90 & radar 90 is a reasonable pairing to cover bearing & range. If you can, use a retroreflection sensor as well to give an occasional accurate fix.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-12-15, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll keep in mind the all round 90s over the single 360s. What about the coincidence range finders?
2017-12-15, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 04:41 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
(2017-12-15 12:47 AM)Shaun Wrote:  Thanks for the info. I'll keep in mind the all round 90s over the single 360s. What about the coincidence range finders?

They're camera 90s with slightly better range detection, basically. Not very accurate as far as actual rangefinding goes ( best is 1% error I think? ), quite good for bearing, but they're enormous items.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-12-15, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 10:37 AM by Normal69.)
Hmm. Trying to answer this human...
I have a little replicator heli which uses ACB to fire radar missiles at near enemies with no detection.
The absolutely bare minimum of detection, which is still detection is intra-vehicle communication with all of your fleet.
We have some experiments with laser tracker on a 2way turret underwater picking up aerial targets.
The best option is a detector turret inside of your vehicle, but some sentients are frowning upon that.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-16, 05:14 AM
(2017-12-15 10:37 AM)Normal69 Wrote:  The absolutely bare minimum of detection, which is still detection is intra-vehicle communication with all of your fleet.

If all you have in all your fleet is IVT, you'll never detect anything unless autodetect is on ( and in that case, you don't *need* anything ). Bare min detection is still a 360 sensor.

2017-12-16, 01:59 PM
(2017-12-16 05:14 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  
(2017-12-15 10:37 AM)Normal69 Wrote:  The absolutely bare minimum of detection, which is still detection is intra-vehicle communication with all of your fleet.

If all you have in all your fleet is IVT, you'll never detect anything unless autodetect is on ( and in that case, you don't *need* anything ). Bare min detection is still a 360 sensor.

Of course. You've meant all fleet, I've meant for one vehicle. (Y)

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user