Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should the Naval AI be simpler?
2017-12-11, 10:07 PM
Should the Naval AI be simpler?
I've been driven over the edge. Trying my best to make a craft constantly broadside is such a pain, as is getting a ship to head straight to the target!

As such, I've came up with an idea for a simpler naval AI:
  • The AI has a selection of; Broadside, Attack and Retreat, or Ram.
  • Broadside allows the selection of a fixed broadside distance. The craft will try its best to keep this distance. A second slider could select the maximum angle for correction, allowing a semi-broadside or straight on sail until the broadside distance is met.
  • Attack and Retreat is very simple. Attack distance is the distance at which the craft turns straight towards the enemy. Retreat distance is the distance from the enemy at which the craft retreats.
  • Ram needs no explanation or sliders. Your ship will simply head straight towards the selected target.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-12, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-14 06:07 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
RE: Should the Naval AI be simpler?
That is actually making it more complicated... what needs changing is it to actually obey the order you give it, so it won't sail directly at it's target ( or directly away ) if you give it an angle that should make it broadside. It's surely not actually meant to do that Tongue

Also, I don't want a fixed broadside distance, I want my ship weaving.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-12-13, 02:28 PM
RE: Should the Naval AI be simpler?
Terrain avoidance, and possibly friendly avoidance are also needed. I typically get the naval AI to work, particularly for thrustercraft. Naval AI works good for fast, fast-turning things.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast