Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AI for airship
2017-12-11, 07:38 PM
AI for airship
I have been making an airship which has two advanced cannons, and I want to stay at a certain distance. Also, I want it to strafe so that it circles the enemy while staying at that certain distance.

Two things:

A: is water AI better than air AI in this instance?

B: what do I need to do to ensure that my airship will strafe, thus keeping it at that certain distance?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-11, 07:45 PM
RE: AI for airship
strafing is currently only possible with lua (maybe with complex acb dohicky)

But, if circling is enough, you should use the naval AI, with ACBs or a PID controlling the height

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
2017-12-12, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-12 12:32 AM by HaliBURD.)
Hmmmm, so'm guessing you mean you want to stay bow in to the target but circle around the enemy vessel like, per say, a Helicopter gunship?

How about this: Rotate the design 90 degrees (can be done from the load or save menus i think) so that the side thrusters become the main thrusters. Then attach propulsion that can maintain distance at the front and aft end of the craft before you flipped it (Or just one end, if you are using dediblades). Have those be controlled by ACBs setting the backwards facing thrusters to activate when the enemy is too close and the opposite for the forward facing thrusters. Then use a normal aerial or naval AI set for a complete broadside angle.
In theory, this should have the craft propel itself "forward" maintaining the circle as configured in the naval/aerial AI. However in reality due to how the craft was designed, this is actually the left/right of the ship. The propulsion located on the bow and stern will regulate distance with ACBs activating the forward moving propulsion when too far and the back end propulsion when too close. This can be done with two ACBs controlling each dedicated area. One to turn the thrusters off and the other to reactivate them. Turning and keeping the angle straight towards the enemy vessel can be handled by turning controlled propulsion on one, or both ends of the ship.
All of this should (As I said in theory) make the ship SEEM like it's a forward angled in broadsider/strafer but in reality the ship is actually sideways mechanically. LUA is by far the more simpler option in this case, as you can probably just get a gunship code from here on the forums. But if you don't want to use it, this way can work.

Another way you can do this, is simply strap some thrusters to the left and right of the center of mass/drag and just activate them with an ACB to also simulate this effect. I'm pretty sure both can work equally. Though you will still need a Naval AI configured to reverse maintaining the attack angle as well as allowing naval AI to control the thrusters via the V button menu. If you do this with aerial AI, just do the prior concepts ACB activated propulsion. Heck, if you got enough recoil, you could probably get away with just a forward movement thruster that turns off when below the desired range.

^ *Has a serious problem when it comes to building.... Can never bother to change out of the wood building blocks*
Also loves making things fly..... Even if they really shouldn`t.
Makes the dirtiest, grimiest, Cringeworthy ship related puns ever.
[Image: aq47WXu.png]
2017-12-13, 04:45 PM
Another option is to keep it normal, and add thrusters on the side facing sideways, with ACBs set to always activate (using complex controls or thruster force settings) use forward broadside aerial AI settings (0, 180, 0 for the first 3)

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-13, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-13 05:19 PM by Kaonicping.)
(2017-12-13 04:45 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Another option is to keep it normal, and add thrusters on the side facing sideways, with ACBs set to always activate (using complex controls or thruster force settings) use forward broadside aerial AI settings (0, 180, 0 for the first 3)

I was also thinking of making a strafing FBT, which is basically just a one-sided orbiter but with the forward direction of the vehicle pointed towards the target. IIRC the singularity does something like this using a warp drive to be even more evasive. My plan was just as you had described, except you could put thrusters on both sides and maybe alternate them every 30 seconds or so.

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-12-13, 05:33 PM
Wait, doesn't the Hydra strafe?
2017-12-14, 09:07 PM
(2017-12-13 05:07 PM)Kaonicping Wrote:  
(2017-12-13 04:45 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  Another option is to keep it normal, and add thrusters on the side facing sideways, with ACBs set to always activate (using complex controls or thruster force settings) use forward broadside aerial AI settings (0, 180, 0 for the first 3)

I was also thinking of making a strafing FBT, which is basically just a one-sided orbiter but with the forward direction of the vehicle pointed towards the target. IIRC the singularity does something like this using a warp drive to be even more evasive. My plan was just as you had described, except you could put thrusters on both sides and maybe alternate them every 30 seconds or so.

I tried doing something like that, with complex controls and jets, but it only activates the jets for a single tick before stopping to wait, rather than staying on. I think it could be done with a altitude greater than -500 ACB (will always be on) and another that overrides it every 30 seconds, don't know if such a command could work.

You could, alternatively, try putting some always-on jets on a spinblock and rotating it to 90 every 30 seconds, and rotating it to -90 every 30 seconds delayed 30 seconds.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-14, 10:36 PM
my airship uses naval ai set up use jets both in and out of water. uses pid's to keep altitude and level. LUA is the best option though. It was broken in the dev test but seems to be working now.
2017-12-15, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-15 10:30 AM by Normal69.)
They can strafe, I have several units which can be piloted to do so. Not totally perfect, but the effect is still in the useful range. You just need to have nose and butt turning for that.
Me likes Mizarluke's confusion drive with spinblock. maybe a really quickly spinning one with the weakest propulsion could cheese all detection? Big Grin
Also you can make wonders with 6 ACBs (when craft receives [direction command] do control keypress number) and configuring different kinds of propulsion components for those keys. Hmm, I should make a prefab for that.

You need air ai if you wanna the craft to pitch and roll for movement, air ai moves in a looping flower pattern with the enemy in the middle.
Water ai is perfect for airships, because you try to prevent pitching and rolling. Just don't forget to set "jets used in air and water mode" in V menu. It makes a spiraling in/out movement pattern with the enemy in the middle.
Of course both movement patterns can be set to "hit head on" with the lowest settings.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user