Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Different way of cooling your gun
2017-12-04, 11:23 AM
Different way of cooling your gun
Hello, as the title say, i think it would be very nice to have different type of cooling for our weapon :
most of the high-rate weapon use fluid based cooling, while for exemple minigun use air cooling (the barrel brass air to cool while firing)
I think we oculd have 2 cooling ssystem, similar to the autoloader :
one air cooling : the one we have, nothing much to say here
one water cooling : better cooling, but would be for exemple a 2x1 block for the vent of the actual gauge.
It would lead to more simple and less space extensive machine gun or automatic gun for small ship, as lot of gauge is needed to have fast firing weapon with just one barrel (which look far better than have 6 barrel to make sure the gun is cooling faster)

most of the naval turret fire more than 1 time a second, you often see video of modern naval wit ha 100mm ish gun turret that goes pow pow pow pow. but in FTd you need LOT of cooling to ave just one barrel, why hence the water cooling gauge

Roses are red, violet are blue
Omaera mo shindeiru
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-04, 07:15 PM
RE: Different way of cooling your gun
Actualy it is posible to reach realistic levels of cooling with a small gun. Here is how big of a gun you need to get an AK-130

You still have to think of that IRL you have a big fat autoloader bellow the deck

[Image: foeYdvy.png]

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-12-04, 09:20 PM
What needs to be looked into before we worry about alternate cooling methods is that at the moment, if you want to increase the fire rate of a cannon of a given caliber, it's ALWAYS better to add more gauge increasers and barrels than to add more cooling units.

A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.
2017-12-05, 03:42 PM
I think that for subs and underwater turrets, if a firing piece is touching water, it will have 1/2 cooldown time, may be hard to balance though.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2017-12-05, 03:43 PM
(2017-12-05 03:42 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I think that for subs and underwater turrets, if a firing piece is touching water, it will have 1/2 cooldown time, may be hard to balance though.

ehhhh no, that not how it works

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-12-05, 03:49 PM
Not exactly intentional water-cooling, but IRL, underwater turrets aren't used (to my knowledge). I may just be rather uninformed. How would it work? I assume more for cooling the barrel than firing piece, but what else?

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2017-12-06, 03:38 PM
This is where my half-thought out idea for water reservoirs, pipes and heat sink blocks could be useful Tongue

My DeviantArt Page Full of Shenanigans
________________________________________________________________________________​______________________
[Image: AKdMikcl.png]
2017-12-07, 02:25 PM
I may have sayed thing wrongly, but water cooling for turret is just like, water pipe wrapped around the barrel to cool it faster, and it was just so we don't have to each time we make a gun, have to make a minigun if it's a low gauge one Smile , as for exemple, most tank have only one barrel, and having a minigun tank if you want to make WW1/WW2 replica is kinda , ... yeah well not realistic, it would just be the cooling equivalent of the beltfed, lot of cooling, but limited in time if used to fast, like real machingun/cannon that DONT need additional barrel to be cooled Smile

Roses are red, violet are blue
Omaera mo shindeiru
2017-12-07, 08:51 PM
Ahh the water tank around the barrel.

My DeviantArt Page Full of Shenanigans
________________________________________________________________________________​______________________
[Image: AKdMikcl.png]
2017-12-07, 08:58 PM
Did someone say water tank around the barrel?
[Image: BgTZIh0.png]

also, this is also watercooled
[Image: 2HC45Mg.jpg]