Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Maybe it's time to change the forum's bot-check ?
2017-12-04, 08:27 AM
Maybe it's time to change the forum's bot-check ?
THere's been lot of bot post recently, by lot i mean a LOT, like 3/4 per forums topic, it's kinda annoying, isn't there a bot check when you try to register ? wouldn't it be better to ban the ip of the people doing this forl ike, the past 2 week ?

Roses are red, violet are blue
Omaera mo shindeiru
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-04, 08:31 AM
RE: Maybe it's time to change the forum's bot-check ?
The bots are really annoying I agree.
I just dont know can change the registration procedure. .

But I think the google im not a roboter checkbox would be enough

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-12-04, 08:36 AM
(2017-12-04 08:31 AM)Skyer Wrote:  The bots are really annoying I agree.
I just dont know can change the registration procedure. .

But I think the google im not a roboter checkbox would be enough

I see often Re-Captcha checker on many forums and website, dunno if it's free though. the forum is getting bigger and bigger, it's maybe a good time to at least improve the register with someone to protect people from scam bot :/
I'm gonna drop this in the FTD discord, if a mod can see it

Omaera mo shindeiru
2017-12-04, 07:53 PM
There have been other discussions on this, and the IPs greatly vary, so that wouldn't work. Presumably a bot checker would, don't know if there is one, if it works, or what. I hope it gets fixed though.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-12-07, 12:49 AM
I've seen a lot a sites just use a JS slider as a captcha, given its relative prevalence it must work to some degree.

Gehm's corollary: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced
2017-12-07, 05:23 AM
This was brought up between some of the KotL and mods internally when there were apparently about 30-some bot posts while I was sleeping. The main issue is that there's a security vulnerability in the capcha that just doesn't seem to be working right and allowing bots to easily bypass it.

To my knowledge, the only person who can really have it changed in any sort is Nick. We've addressed this issue to him so hopefully we get some type of improved security at some point. Believe me, I hate the bots too and was one of the main reasons why I took the request to become a forum mod.

Terrus Asunder, my custom campaign
2017-12-07, 02:26 PM
(2017-12-07 05:23 AM)ABYAY Wrote:  This was brought up between some of the KotL and mods internally when there were apparently about 30-some bot posts while I was sleeping. The main issue is that there's a security vulnerability in the capcha that just doesn't seem to be working right and allowing bots to easily bypass it.

To my knowledge, the only person who can really have it changed in any sort is Nick. We've addressed this issue to him so hopefully we get some type of improved security at some point. Believe me, I hate the bots too and was one of the main reasons why I took the request to become a forum mod.

If it was in my possibility, i would really like to be a forum mod, but yeah , not sure that the staff will accept even more forum mod, so i just hope Nick will fix it sooner or later Smile

Omaera mo shindeiru
2017-12-07, 06:31 PM
I think forums has enough moderators
But the prevention of spam bots entering in first place would be nice.
Something i mentioned before, a FTD related captcha

"How many factions are in Neter main campaign"
Something that can be checked in the game within a minute, so a legit player can just launch the game to look for information

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-09, 09:50 AM
(2017-12-07 06:31 PM)mrvecz Wrote:  I think forums has enough moderators
But the prevention of spam bots entering in first place would be nice.
Something i mentioned before, a FTD related captcha

"How many factions are in Neter main campaign"
Something that can be checked in the game within a minute, so a legit player can just launch the game to look for information

While that does work, I feel it should be more random, otherwise a bot create can go " Oh, the answer is 7, make it say 7 in that box"
so maybe a more generic captcha like "Please tick all squeres containing vehicles" and having a FTD screenshot

Oh jeez
-
The Age of Sail is upon us...
Alpha 0.2.1 coming December 25th!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-12-09, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-09 09:54 AM by Skyer.)
That could work too, Smile

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.