Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need advice with a destroyer*
2017-12-02, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-12-02 02:09 PM by Monochrome Goat.)
Need advice with a destroyer*
I've been working on a custom campaign for a while, the premise being that each faction represents a different age of naval combat. To shorten it up, each faction has a lot of unnamed ships that you would expect to see during the said age (brigs and sloops during the age of sail), but also 1 or 2 "boss" ships that represent an intermediary between ages.

Alright, so Regele Ferdinand is currently the boss of the second age, and it represents a battleship from the end of the 19th century. There are no spoilers on this forum, so i'll just link to the picture to not clutter the post.
https://i.imgur.com/OGwi51h.jpg

HMS Odessa is the boss of the third age
https://i.imgur.com/cw5imjH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NZF5QcA.png

And this is just an unnamed destroyer from the third age
https://i.imgur.com/UJqLZmi.jpg

My problem is that the destroyer is absolutely useless. It can't even go against a Kalmar, and the predreadnought just annihilates it. I don't know whether i should buff it or nerf the other 2. Is this ship a good representation of the early destroyers? And if not, how can i improve it?

I know i'm not exactly making the best looking or the most realistic ships, but i enjoy comming back to the game after a long pause and building somewhat historical ships. For reference, Regele Ferdinand was built over 8 months ago, HMS Odessa late spring, and the unnamed destroyer yesterday and it's still a work-in-progress.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Early Destroyer I.blueprint (Size: 109.47 KB / Downloads: 4)
.blueprint  Regele Ferdinand.blueprint (Size: 209.88 KB / Downloads: 4)
.blueprint  HMS Odessa.blueprint (Size: 393.56 KB / Downloads: 5)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-12-07, 02:53 AM
RE: Need advice with a destroyer*
Well given the Kalmar is a battleship of it's own right, the fact it gets pwned in a gunfight is pretty correct. Maybe make it faster/keep further away? I can show you my two destroyers if you'd like to see them. Big Grin They're both late 1800 to early 1900 designs. Big Grin If there's a way to upload blueprints without being the OP of a topic...
2017-12-07, 08:03 PM
Oh, i'd really like to see them, a comparison would help a lot Smile . Could you possibly upload them to dropbox or google drive?
2017-12-07, 11:35 PM
(2017-12-07 08:03 PM)Monochrome Goat Wrote:  Oh, i'd really like to see them, a comparison would help a lot Smile . Could you possibly upload them to dropbox or google drive?

Aha. Figured it out. I couldn't upload with a quick reply. XD

So the Foreign-class is the older class, similar to your current destroyer, actually. But seems more tanky than the Rat-class A-variant. However, the Rat-class is capable of outputting more damage (more guns), and is supposed to be a somewhat later design. The Foreign-class needs to be updated with the smokestacks having tiny steam generators set to the lowest amount and piping going straight up them. Enjoy! Big Grin

I know for a fact the Rat-class is able to devastate a kalmar solo, and the two of them together (one of each class) can seriously damage a Jacob's Delight. (That thing has sooooo many guns...)

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Foreign-Class Destroyer.blueprint (Size: 105.62 KB / Downloads: 7)
.blueprint  Rat-Class Destroyer A-Varient.blueprint (Size: 135.88 KB / Downloads: 8)
2017-12-08, 09:05 AM
Jacobs delight is master of dakka then comes

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-12-08, 11:16 PM
(2017-12-08 09:05 AM)Skyer Wrote:  Jacobs delight is master of dakka then comes

Yeah. Why is it 'easy'?