Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PAC Lense Question
2017-11-20, 12:22 AM
PAC Lense Question
I recently spawned in the WF Perforator to look at the new PAC it recieved. I spawned in a Bulwark for it fight and watched it tear holes in the Bulwark. I wanted to see how much harm it could do to itself so I poked some holes in the PAC tubes. It fired, and nothing happened to the inside. When using lenses, PACs do NOT self-damage when they get damaged. This is I believe an unintended feature which gives PACs using lenses a great advantage. If this is intended, then I think that PAC lenses need a nerf. It gives the Perforator even more of an advantage than I though, so it may prove even more problematic.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-20, 02:39 AM
RE: PAC Lense Question
I believe it's a result of the weapon no longer recognizing that it's able to fire if all the lenses are damaged, since it's no longer facing the target in that case. I expect that if only one of a cannon's lenses were damaged it would damage itself.
2017-11-20, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-20 03:25 AM by Lincrono.)
(2017-11-20 12:22 AM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I recently spawned in the WF Perforator to look at the new PAC it recieved. I spawned in a Bulwark for it fight and watched it tear holes in the Bulwark. I wanted to see how much harm it could do to itself so I poked some holes in the PAC tubes. It fired, and nothing happened to the inside. When using lenses, PACs do NOT self-damage when they get damaged. This is I believe an unintended feature which gives PACs using lenses a great advantage. If this is intended, then I think that PAC lenses need a nerf. It gives the Perforator even more of an advantage than I though, so it may prove even more problematic.

this may be a bug, i remember this not being the case but it's been a while since i stress-tested a PAC.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
2017-11-20, 02:50 PM
I can do more exact and specific tests, but I cut through the turret on the inside, probably affecting all 3 PAC systems, and when it fired (I don't know how many) nothing on the inside was damaged, when I expected the whole thing ripped into pieces. I think the PAC recognizes to only fire on the connected lines, whereas to keep the self-damaging a property of all PACs, it should fire from any lines which have tubes attached, meaning that if you only use 4/5 possible lines, the 5th won't fire, but if one of the 4 gets damaged but not destroyed where it connects to the main PAC piece, it would fire. This (<) is what should happen (I think), but doesn't (I think).

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-11-20, 11:09 PM
If I remember correctly, when I let my design fight against the Perforator and it removed the upper half of the PAC, it still fired whenever my design got into the FoV of the upwardsfacing damaged tubes.