Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Time for a new Tournament?
2017-11-15, 01:41 AM
RE: Time for a new Tournament?
(2017-11-15 12:22 AM)Zebgef Wrote:  So, lots of good feedback so far.

Regarding the Fauxbi Offensive being too complex, I think the simplified rules I'm thinking of make it pretty straightforward. I see it working like this:

There are a set of different vehicle classes (Armoured, support, Aircraft, Helicopter or Gunship. Each one has some fairly straightforward limitations (only armoured can use HA, only aircraft and gunships can use jet propulsion, etc - it's going to be simpler than FO season 1).

Each entry must contain vehicles from at least 3 classes, and no class can make up more than 50% of the vehicles in the entry. Realistically that's a minimum of 3 vehicles that are about 20k mats each. You can make more if you want, but you really don't need to. I will probably set a limit of about 10-12 vehicles per entry and a total mats limit of 200k. To me that sounds easier to build for than say Battleship Brawl.

If I decide to add the collaborative team element to this then I'd just add the rules that each team member must have designed at least 1 of the entries, and their entry or entries must make up at least 20% of the overall force mats.

Does that sound workable?

Sounds good. I think literally everyone who's commented so far has said 'yes' to team stuff, so please do Big Grin

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-15, 08:04 AM
I would love to geek out with somebody else making a tournament entry.

I missed the Fauxbi tournament, so I'm totally down for one of those =P
2017-11-15, 08:30 AM
I honestly really like the idea of a team battle option (#4), however I feel as there should be some clarification on the subject.

A post above assumes that designs will be entered, then put into random teams. I hope this is not the case. This could mean that designs with the same strengths and weaknesses could end up on the same team, making that particular team prone to loss.

Instead, I think it would be a much better idea to establish teams, and THEN have teams proceed to building. This way, players on each team can communicate to each other regarding designs and balancing the team to create an effective and powerful force (say one player builds a very tanky missile-based vehicle while another builds a glass cannon with tons of APS firepower to balance DPS and defense).

I think this coordinated team effort will lead to some of the greatest battles ever seen in FTD!
2017-11-15, 09:10 AM
Yes, the idea would be to assign teams first, then build entries together.

I've seen one response that seemed lukewarm on the teams idea. However, it's by far the most popular part of my ideas so far, so it looks like it'll probably be a team battle of some sort. Well, if I can get enough interest - the one downside of teams is that I need 3-4 people per entry, so to get say 8 entries to have a decent sized tournament I'm going to need at least 24 people, which is more than the original Fauxbi got.

So yeah, tell your friends!
2017-11-15, 09:11 AM
(2017-11-15 08:30 AM)WallacEngineering Wrote:  I honestly really like the idea of a team battle option (#4), however I feel as there should be some clarification on the subject.

A post above assumes that designs will be entered, then put into random teams. I hope this is not the case. This could mean that designs with the same strengths and weaknesses could end up on the same team, making that particular team prone to loss.

Instead, I think it would be a much better idea to establish teams, and THEN have teams proceed to building. This way, players on each team can communicate to each other regarding designs and balancing the team to create an effective and powerful force (say one player builds a very tanky missile-based vehicle while another builds a glass cannon with tons of APS firepower to balance DPS and defense).

I think this coordinated team effort will lead to some of the greatest battles ever seen in FTD!

It was only a single post that pointed to the random team usage. It was done in Jimmer's team deathmatch tournament a little while back.

I think too that teaming up with designers and THEN build the entries will be much nicer, but I think that is already where this tournament is going. Smile

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
2017-11-15, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-15 09:44 AM by WallacEngineering.)
(2017-11-15 09:10 AM)Zebgef Wrote:  Yes, the idea would be to assign teams first, then build entries together.

I've seen one response that seemed lukewarm on the teams idea. However, it's by far the most popular part of my ideas so far, so it looks like it'll probably be a team battle of some sort. Well, if I can get enough interest - the one downside of teams is that I need 3-4 people per entry, so to get say 8 entries to have a decent sized tournament I'm going to need at least 24 people, which is more than the original Fauxbi got.

So yeah, tell your friends!

Lol except I have no friends who play FTD because the game is far too advanced for them (all my friends play Call of Duty lol)

As far as rules go, I feel like these would be some decent guidelines:

- 75K Materials limit per player (300K per team if using 4-player teams), 125K Materials limit per player (250K per team if using 2-player teams)

- Ban cheaty weapons such as Gravitation Ram shells and Tactical Nukes

- Limit of 2 Aircraft for 4-person team, or 1 Aircraft for 2-person team (Hovercraft that maintain an altitude below 30 Meters under normal operation are not considered to be aircraft)

- Maximum of 2 Similar Type designs per 4-Person Team (I.E. A team cannot have 4 submarines, but can have 2 submarines + 2 of another vehicle type). 2-player teams cannot use the same type of design.

- Must have separate designs for all players (no compiling into a large single vehicle), however if a design on a 4-person team uses say only 50K Materials, then those extra Materials can be used by the other players to improve their designs, so long as at least 50% (37.5K) of Materials is used by each player (So minimum design per player is 37.5K, maximum is 75K). In the end, all teams must come to a total of 300K Materials or less, same concept applies to 2-player teams.

- Altitude limit for flyers is 120 Meters above sea level (To avoid designs that cannot be hit)

- Altitude limit for submarines is -80 Meters below sea level

- Maximum Speed of 80 Meters per Second regardless of vehicle type

- Spawn Distance 1.5 Km (750 M from Center), Maximum Range 2.0 Km, out of bounds border at about 2 Km from center if possible

EDIT:

- Regardless of team size, all teams receive 20K materials spread evenly throughout designs for repairs and ammo processors.

- No Layering of shields, single layer ONLY!

- Fuel Engine power plants ONLY!

- Anything I may have missed?
2017-11-15, 09:36 AM
1 would be fun. I'd most probably enter. But it might be a bit too much work/time for some people. A mix of 1 and 4 sounds good to me. Smile Less work per person and the teamwork part would make it more unique.
2017-11-15, 09:39 AM
(2017-11-15 09:18 AM)WallacEngineering Wrote:  Lol except I have no friends who play FTD because the game is far too advanced for them (all my friends play Call of Duty lol)
You can team up with participating designers, so no worries!

As far as rules go, I feel like these would be some decent guidelines:

- 75K Materials limit per player (300K per team if using 4-player teams), 125K Materials limit per player (250K per team if using 2-player teams)
That's a bit much as a total per team. 300K per side is quite a lot. Maybe less, but not more, I'd say.

- Ban cheaty weapons such as Gravitation Ram shells
And PAC, and LUA and all those standard bans.

- Limit of 2 Aircraft for 4-person team, or 1 Aircraft for 2-person team (Hovercraft that maintain an altitude below 30 Meters under normal operation are not considered to be aircraft)
a 4-man team might be a bit much. 3 is a team, 4 is a crowd.

- Maximum of 2 Similar Type designs per 4-Person Team (I.E. A team cannot have 4 submarines, but can have 2 submarines + 2 of another vehicle type). 2-player teams cannot use the same type of design.
Forced variance in vehicel type is good I think.

- Must have separate designs for all players (no compiling into a large single vehicle), however if a design on a 4-person team uses say only 50K Materials, then those extra Materials can be used by the other players to improve their designs, so long as at least 50% (37.5K) of Materials is used by each player (So minimum design per player is 37.5K, maximum is 75K). In the end, all teams must come to a total of 300K Materials or less, same concept applies to 2-player teams.

- Altitude limit for flyers is 120 Meters above sea level (To avoid designs that cannot be hit)
That is an exceedingly low ceiling. 300 is better, just limit top speed to say 100m/s. Missiels and proper APS will be able to hit not-too-erratic flyers going 100 or less, AFAIK.

- Altitude limit for submarines is -80 Meters below sea level

- Maximum Speed of 80 Meters per Second regardless of vehicle type

- Spawn Distance 1.5 Km, Maximum Range 2.0 Km, out of bounds border at about 3-4 Km from center if possible
Usually there is a max range to closest opponent. I say make that max range no more than 2km, or it will become very hard to give an overview of the battle when it is recorded.

EDIT:

- No Layering of shields, single layer ONLY!

- Fuel Engine power plants ONLY!

- Anything I may have missed?
Added some thoughts. more input, anyone?

Everything that ever started to exist, has a cause.

(There is) A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
-Ecclesiastes 3:3
2017-11-15, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-15 09:47 AM by Zebgef.)
So, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think you're getting ahead of yourselves with specifying rules. I'm not yet 100% decided if it's going to be a land or sea tournament (or maybe even a space tournament! But probably not a space tournament).

Can we stick to general principals rather than jumping into rules sets right now?

But, to give some more concrete stuff - whatever happens, the max distance will be 1.5km and I may well have a firing range limit lower than that (say 1km) to keep the battles from getting too spread out. That caused all sorts of problems in the Fauxbi Offensive.

And the teams will be 250k mats AT MOST, probably less (say 200k) this is mostly just for performance reasons. I have a pretty powerful machine, but it struggled at times with the Fauxbi Offensive at 250k mats. Reducing the limit a little will help the game run more smoothly.

And there's a good chance shields will be banned outright - they just aren't very interesting to design OR watch. I'd rather force people to come up with good armour schemes or evasion techniques.
2017-11-15, 09:51 AM
You need shields if you have APS guns in the mix. Otherwise, glass cannons with insane alpha strike will dominate everything