Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Economical CRAM Cannon Battleship: Conqueror
2017-11-09, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-15 11:53 AM by Kunighit.)
Photo Economical CRAM Cannon Battleship: Conqueror
[Image: EYV5F5I.jpg]

[Image: dav9LtP.jpg]

[Image: SGNrDt0.jpg]

[Image: VII30K7.jpg]

Stats:

Block Count: 7948
Material Cost: 136630
Top speed: 16.3 m/s

Armament:
--3 x3 1320mm CRAM Cannons firing HE at a 9.94 reload
--2 x2 110mm Advanced Cannon secondaries firing HE at .5sec reload
--1 x2 200mm Advanced Cannon secondary firing HEAT at 1.12 sec reload
--1 x3 80mm Advanced Cannon AA firing flak at .53 sec reload
--2 x3 20mm Auto Cannon Deck guns firing solid in 1 sec 9 round bursts

Defenses:
--Single layer power 2.9 shields
--4 Q switch LAMS with firing angles for 3 Laser munitions defenses (optimal)
--1 metal: 1 air: 1 metal mostly with 3 metal at its thickest

Info:

This ship was designed from the start to be a pure gun boat built around 3 bow mounted CRAM cannon turrets. These turrets were quite a challenge for me to make as I have practically no experience making turret mounted guns with CRAM cannons. But thanks to user SASEASASINI thread about cram tetris I was able to put together a set of serviceable 3 gun turrets. As the build continued I developed another goal for myself, make this ship cost under 100k material. This goal proved to be a little too much for my sensibility when i comes to properly armoring things but at least the the end cost fell around that goal.

The end result of this is (hopefully) a early game capital ship that can still be a strong spammable support craft at end game.

Also... I'm totally open to suggestions on increase the effectiveness of the weapons without changing the gauge of them or increasing the cost, the LAMS as well.

Update: Fixed shielding. Forgot to place shield units on wood for EMP resistance ><.
Update 2: Improved CRAM cannons and fixed first shot CRAM cannon inaccuracy. Improved 200mm secondary's traverse speed. Added another rudder. And tweaked AI.
Update 3: Improved secondary fire rate. Reduced boiler resource drain. Increased shield strength and improved layout. Lowered AI placement in the hull. Added a second heat engine and more fuel capacity. Increase battery capacity. Improved LAMS. Improved detection equipment. Added an AI for the main guns. Tweaked AI.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Conqueror.blueprint (Size: 369.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-09, 07:33 AM
RE: Economical CRAM Cannon Battleship: Conqueror
Looks pretty sweet. I dig the superstructure/bridge

Just a slight pet peeve:

"All or nothing" armor, historically, means your citadel/guns has the thickest possible armor (the 'vitals' of the ship) and every thing else on the ship (bow, stern, superstructure) has essentially no armor.

This strikes much more as a heavy cruiser, or maybe a battlecruiser: a relatively heavily gunned ship that lacks strong defenses against it's own size weaponry.

(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-11-09, 08:27 AM
Heavy cruiser - cruiser with 6-8" guns, got nothing to do with actual weight! plenty of light cruisers were bigger. This thing does have the battlecruiser ethos though, "stick some huge guns on it & don't bother with the armour"... We don't need to do citadels, we tend to put "citadels" round precious components, so armouring schemes are somewhat untraditional ( agreed it's not really "all or nothing" other than how most FtD ships are ).

This is certainly economical to build - I'm a little worried about running costs though, irrespective of any fuel costs lightly armoured ships tend to need a lot of battle repairs so it might be worth armouring it more to save RP later.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 04/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-11-09, 11:23 AM
*chuckles* I am fully aware of the difference of a 'light' and 'heavy' treaty cruiser. Thanks Smile

(2017-11-09 08:27 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Heavy cruiser - cruiser with 6-8" guns, got nothing to do with actual weight! plenty of light cruisers were bigger. This thing does have the battlecruiser ethos though, "stick some huge guns on it & don't bother with the armour"... We don't need to do citadels, we tend to put "citadels" round precious components, so armouring schemes are somewhat untraditional ( agreed it's not really "all or nothing" other than how most FtD ships are ).

This is certainly economical to build - I'm a little worried about running costs though, irrespective of any fuel costs lightly armoured ships tend to need a lot of battle repairs so it might be worth armouring it more to save RP later.

Mods/extra blocks

Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-11-09, 07:30 PM
I haven't looked at your ship yet (I'm not on a good computer for it), but looking at the CRAM tetris page, it is actually very inefficient. The metal between the different systems doesn't help, you should put normal pellets there, since both cannons get to use them. I actually just recommend making a cannon as you would for one barrel, with all the parts together, then split the 6-way chain to get multiple barrels. I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the CRAM tetris page actually isn't very efficient.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-11-09, 08:43 PM
I hadn't even looked at the actual CRAM tetris. I'm by no means an expert CRAM'er but yes, that 'stack' could use a bit of work. the autoloaders/ammo boxes can all be setup more efficiently and shared between the barrels, as long as each firing piece and set of gauge increases are kept separately. I've attached a raft a friend constructed showing his 'tetris' style and some example turrets

(2017-11-09 07:30 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I haven't looked at your ship yet (I'm not on a good computer for it), but looking at the CRAM tetris page, it is actually very inefficient. The metal between the different systems doesn't help, you should put normal pellets there, since both cannons get to use them. I actually just recommend making a cannon as you would for one barrel, with all the parts together, then split the 6-way chain to get multiple barrels. I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the CRAM tetris page actually isn't very efficient.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Cram_Tetris.blueprint (Size: 194.67 KB / Downloads: 4)

Mods/extra blocks

Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-11-11, 02:44 AM
(2017-11-09 08:43 PM)Greyfell Wrote:  I hadn't even looked at the actual CRAM tetris. I'm by no means an expert CRAM'er but yes, that 'stack' could use a bit of work. the autoloaders/ammo boxes can all be setup more efficiently and shared between the barrels, as long as each firing piece and set of gauge increases are kept separately. I've attached a raft a friend constructed showing his 'tetris' style and some example turrets

(2017-11-09 07:30 PM)MizarLuke Wrote:  I haven't looked at your ship yet (I'm not on a good computer for it), but looking at the CRAM tetris page, it is actually very inefficient. The metal between the different systems doesn't help, you should put normal pellets there, since both cannons get to use them. I actually just recommend making a cannon as you would for one barrel, with all the parts together, then split the 6-way chain to get multiple barrels. I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the CRAM tetris page actually isn't very efficient.

I updated the turrets with your friend's CRAM layout. They work fairly well now. Thank you.
2017-11-12, 01:49 AM
There is no such thing as "economical" when building CRAM weaponry of any kind. Only spectacular.
2017-11-12, 05:02 AM
You are welcome. I was the same way a few months back before I started building serious ships for tournaments. Sometimes you just need to see how it is organized and it just clicks

[/quote]

I updated the turrets with your friend's CRAM layout. They work fairly well now. Thank you.
[/quote]

Mods/extra blocks

Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-11-15, 11:51 AM
After using the Conqueror in the campaign for a bit a few flaws were found and addressed. The first problem was the boilers consumed too much resources. So another heat engine was added w/ batteries and boiler burn rate was reduced to .7 during combat. Second problem was the LAM system was just...bad. So improving it was fairly easy (after looking at some OW in game designs). The third problem the shielding was a little weak with a few gaps. So now it has more shield running at 1.0 power higher.

Now its only missing smoke for late game use an i believe it should be complete.