Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trying to classify a ship I'm making
2017-11-15, 10:37 PM
RE: Trying to classify a ship I'm making
Well - there have been nuclear powered destroyers, and most of our nuclear ships are actually pretty small ( subs ) so we have a lot of infrastructure for dealing with small naval nuclear installations, there's no particular reason you couldn't build a nuclear railgun cruiser. There are obvious cost benefits to concentrating on less, larger ships but then you have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, and it's far less flexible when you want to deploy. There are good reasons to have large carriers ( not least because you need the ship to be a certain size to even be usable ) but I don't see a particular need for anything else.

Torpedos are harder to counter than even the most complex current missile - it's only last year that there's been any form of active hard-kill anti-torp defence installed anywhere. I'm not sure it'd be possible to build a "cruise torpedo" but with the way sensors & processing is still developing I think the threat from torpedos might get worse. Subs deploying small short-ish range drones to carry a torpedo or two nearer the target is something that hasn't made it into practical form yet, but that's a pretty scary idea.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 29/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-17, 10:29 AM
RE: Trying to classify a ship I'm making
(2017-11-15 10:37 PM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Well - there have been nuclear powered destroyers, and most of our nuclear ships are actually pretty small ( subs ) so we have a lot of infrastructure for dealing with small naval nuclear installations, there's no particular reason you couldn't build a nuclear railgun cruiser. There are obvious cost benefits to concentrating on less, larger ships but then you have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, and it's far less flexible when you want to deploy. There are good reasons to have large carriers ( not least because you need the ship to be a certain size to even be usable ) but I don't see a particular need for anything else.

Torpedos are harder to counter than even the most complex current missile - it's only last year that there's been any form of active hard-kill anti-torp defence installed anywhere. I'm not sure it'd be possible to build a "cruise torpedo" but with the way sensors & processing is still developing I think the threat from torpedos might get worse. Subs deploying small short-ish range drones to carry a torpedo or two nearer the target is something that hasn't made it into practical form yet, but that's a pretty scary idea.

you're about 1/2 right on the small nuke ships, the boomers are significantly larger than a cruiser, and the attack subs are a bit smaller than say the arleigh burke. From my perspective it's not so much a matter of can we do it on a ship that small, it's does that maximize the reactor? I just don't believe you could really mount enough systems to take advantage of the full power output. as for some kind of larger railgun cruiser, or battleship, I would envision it as a partner to a new generation of smaller aircraft carriers of which it would be about the same size and offer similar strike capabilities but maximizing different aspects.

as for torps? I don't deny they are a danger, but only a few nations field truly good subs and getting into range for them places you in direct conflict with our own subs. This is a somewhat less dangerous issue than cruise missiles which can be easily acquired, and used for standoff-saturation strikes. Singular, large ships will always be prime targets in this environment, but the size you'd need for a futuristic cannon ship would be far smaller the payoff compared to an Iowa or a Nimitz is not the same.

-Do not bring forth an argument as fact that can be disproven with a 10 minute Google search.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply