Poll: What is your favorte type of vehicle?
Ship (prefering broadsiding)
Ship (other)
Plane (attack runs)
Plane (gunship/broadsiding)
Mechs
Thrustercraft/Hovercraft (normal)
Thrustercraft/Hovercraft (broadside)
Thrustercraft/Hovercraft (forward broadside)
Submarine
Spacecraft (nonmoving)
Spacecraft (manouvering to attack)
Structure
Helicopter (broadside)
Helicopter (attack runs)
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
What's Your Favorite Type of Vehicle?
2017-11-02, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-03 03:13 PM by MizarLuke.)
What's Your Favorite Type of Vehicle?
I have recently been building a few stock-AI hovercraft designed to be able to fight any direction, but prefering broadside. The problem, is they have too much surface area to protect with the power I'm giving them. I know that forward broadsiders solve this, but they are a bit annoying to set up and sorta cheesy. I want to know what you guys like and find effective, so I can get some ideas since I'm having campaign trouble (totally not sue to stubbornness about using RTGs and not using ammo processors or ejectors, which I am sure very well might ignite an argument here).

(edit) Oops, forgot tanks, just check other for tanks and anything else I missed.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-11-02, 06:47 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-02 06:48 AM by mrvecz.)
RE: What's Your Favorite Type of Vehicle?
(2017-11-02 03:01 AM)MizarLuke Wrote:  (totally not sue to stubbornness about using RTGs and not using ammo processors or ejectors, which I am sure very well might ignite an argument here).

Well if you know the source of all of your problems, why dont you try and solve it ?

Because, pretty much these things are quite big issues, its like not using shields. Your get your ass handed to you by enemies who do use them.

Start using them, ejectors prevents your ship to go kaboom from random penetration, petrol engines will be way more cost, space and power effective and will let you be able to use shields and LAMS to prevent damage from happening in first place. Ammo proccessors massively increase your ships damage and survival ability as you dont need as massive ammo storage on board.

But thats if you want to play above normal difficulty, you can get away with innefective and underpowered designs on Easy or Normal

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-02, 07:59 AM
I manage without ejectors, but I tend to use clipless turrets which are usually empty anyway unless it's the start of the fight - and either they become empty rapidly or the turret blows up because the ship shouldn't be in this fight Tongue tetrising them is quite annoying though.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 07/04/18 for 2.1. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-11-02, 09:49 AM
Oh no, tetrising is good. the problem begans with sokoban, when you have to move furniture in small places. Big Grin

MizarLuke - in which part of the campaign you are?
I'm at the beginning of Neter, and try to keep DWG alive ass they keep sending me wooden boats as materials.
At last I could set up an auto-grinder squad, just small underwater bunkers of a few type: ammo producer, missile/torp shooter, and anti torp cannon.
These three types together could survive any DWG attack without damage, and persuade the enemy to hand over their bodies. Big Grin

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73
MULTIPLAYER!

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-11-02, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-02 02:25 PM by MizarLuke.)
I am on the hardest settings without affecting relative damage (first slider is at 1) I am currently fighting OW, I have gotten two RZ, and am just slowly pushing forward. I imagine I could also save myself some trouble by not destroying every single tile. My main problem right now is turret explosion issues crippling my main craft which should do fine, except explosions clip through the hull, kill the main gun, and my other nearby weapons. I have ~15k power even with RTGs powering the thrusters to keep it airborne and moving and decent strength shields. It had LAMS but they didn't work well enough so I removed them.

I know it isn't as optimized as it could be, but it has worked well for me until now. In my other campaign, in which I use smaller, higher altitude, more missile based thrustercraft made largely of HA, and with less hard campaign settings, I have defeated everything but Scarlet Dawn and LH. I started my new campaign because 2.0 came out.

I have been making a few steam powered things, and it has been working alright for me. I also noticed that RTG-powered fighters are simply unrealistic, and they would help me where I am right now. My designs should work against WF though. I also have a few smaller designs I should use against OW which dodge a lot better.

I am on 0% resource gain so farming doesn't work.

(2017-04-20 06:54 PM)Hikari Wrote:  I made something that has an impact of a type 1a supernova. The projectile already breaks laws of physics by going way past the speed of light.

2000mm HE Dakka Enthusiast
2017-11-02, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-11-02 06:49 PM by SynthTwo.)
Use only autoloaders for a more costly but massively less explodey gun solution. They're called clipless systems and to do so adds an extra 1.5 factor to the autoloader length bonus.

However you will be surprised at how not explodey they are.

A single layer of metal around the turret can contain the explosion of my 7x7x8 300mm guns. Also, make the front layer of your turret out of armor to prevent clipping from destroying the loaders as clipped splosions have to first kill a layer of metal.

Also since your guns face the enemy only the front side needs to be armored in this way.

I play on identical settings. Basically you need to build for cost effectiveness and efficiency. Maximum efficiency fuel engines and a strong LAMs are how I survive.

Shielding is a waste of engine power beyond strength 3. My most recent battleship has four or five layers of str 2 and is pretty tonky.

Quick edit: steam will bankrupt you really fast. It is not an engine type that is at all feasible without gaining resources on kill. Get a couple thousand ppf fuel engine and you're good. Spam the crap out of it.

The aforementioned battleship has 12 3200 power engines, using the 5k ppf ones off the forums here. It gets hours of combat time off of a miniscule fuel supply and thus can stay in the field almost perpetually.

25k of that Power to lams, 6 RTGs to run my rail guns, and the rest to shields and propulsion.
2017-11-02, 06:49 PM
(2017-11-02 06:35 PM)SynthTwo Wrote:  Use only autoloaders for a more costly but massively less explodey gun solution. They're called clipless systems and to do so adds an extra 1.5 factor to the autoloader length bonus.

uhh... do you mean it's a 1.5x reload time penalty? Because that's what it is.

The number 1 reason why I use FBTs is because it's so much easier to protect and add ejectors to hull-mounted guns than it is to turreted ones. As you noticed, they can focus the majority of their defences on one side, and present an almost inpenetrable wall of shields, HA and LAMs coverage (and maybe smoke or laser shields too).

On turrets clipless is indeed an option, the main priority is to encase your turret internals in a layer of metal or preferably HA that sits actually on the turret, and ideally is sealed off from explosions.

As for not using ammo processors, and using RTGs instead of fuel/steam engines: these are a false economy and you should use ammo processors and better engines for moar dakka and moar powah respectively. You need these big engines in order to sustain a decent LAMS, which pays off massively against CRAMs and some APS shells, as well as low-key missile spam (although flak CIWS is ideal for this purpose).

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-11-02, 06:52 PM
That's what it is. An additional factor of 1.5 to your load length bonus means an overall 50% reduction in load rate.

The easiest way to input thst 1.5 into my APS calculator is to just take the autoloader length multiplier and increase it by 1.5.
2017-11-03, 06:33 AM
I'm offended because tank isn't an option.

"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."-TheMightyJingles.

My last name is Proctor
The Proctor is a ship in the game
Yay. I'm happy.

Blueprint thread: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=28006
2017-11-03, 06:46 AM
My vehicle of choice is, alas, one of the least effective on the list.

Dammit nick, nerf flyers already! At this point you can carry more with thrusters than buoyancy!

A great nation is not a nation that rules the world. A great nation is a nation that realizes they don't have to.