Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gun mechanisms
2017-10-10, 07:24 PM
Gun mechanisms
Dev post here about the way we're integrating "guns" into FS.

You should sit down for this Wink

So as you may have picked up you can place "moving objects" (turrets and spinners in FTD parlance) on other "moving objects".

So we are working on some standard WWI anti-tank and WWI ship guns...

We've split the gun into just two parts - the firing chamber and the barrel. with barrel modifications (the end, the evacuator) being additional "secondary layer" components that can be stuck onto the barrel. Barrels come in a range of lengths and match to the gauge they are attached to. The chamber has a set gauge, or a small range of selectable gauges.

Ammo will be very customisable.

What is exciting is that we've split the gun design into (up to) three levels of moving objects:
1) the azimuth base unit
2) the elevation "pin" on which the barrel is pitched up and down
3) the moving recoil slider rack on which the gun is built

this means that you can place your armour plates on your gun in such a way as they
1) rotate but do not elevate
2) elevate with the elevation pin but do not move under recoil
3) recoil with the chamber and barrel when it fires

It also means that you can use the "recoil slider rack" and various future "pistons" (in space engineer talk) to retract or extend guns- or anything else.

All three levels have an insane amount of options for hooking into manual or automatic controls.

Here is a picture of a very early prototype

[Image: 2a592d2606.png]

and with some armour plating

[Image: 00dcd3a283.png]

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 07:29 PM
RE: Gun mechanisms
Jesus

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
2017-10-10, 07:31 PM
(2017-10-10 07:29 PM)mrvecz Wrote:  Jesus

Christ.

You are amazing Nick or was it Gladyon's idea?
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 07:33 PM
Mine and Khaz's.

Trying to figure out how to get the recoil mechanism into the gun and then it clicked.

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
2017-10-10, 07:34 PM
Although the inspiration for things on things did come from seeing Gladyon actually achieving it... in a mod of all places!

2017-10-10, 07:43 PM
But why do we need anti-tank guns while we got no tanks? Or we're about to get something like "flat pseudo-earth" in order to try land vehicles?
2017-10-10, 07:43 PM
This will be Awesome!

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-10-10, 07:44 PM
(2017-10-10 07:43 PM)Vylkatzis Wrote:  But why do we need anti-tank guns while we got no tanks? Or we're about to get something like "flat pseudo-earth" in order to try land vehicles?

We will get tanks in the "Void" which will basicly be land if I understood it right

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
2017-10-10, 07:46 PM
(2017-10-10 07:44 PM)Skyer Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 07:43 PM)Vylkatzis Wrote:  But why do we need anti-tank guns while we got no tanks? Or we're about to get something like "flat pseudo-earth" in order to try land vehicles?

We will get tanks in the "Void" which will basicly be land if I understood it right

Awesome then! Now I'm hyped for FS too.

Btw, where can I see the thread about this Void?
2017-10-10, 07:47 PM
(2017-10-10 07:46 PM)Vylkatzis Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 07:44 PM)Skyer Wrote:  

Awesome then! Now I'm hyped for FS too.

Btw, where can I see the thread about this Void?

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=27491