Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gun mechanisms
2017-10-13, 08:41 AM
RE: Gun mechanisms
(2017-10-12 04:28 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  So, why not set it where it becomes to be ugly? After all, it's a game, so aesthetics count.

That would achieve the same goal I am asking for, since the reason we perceive them as "ugly" is that they don't look realistic and probably wouldn't work in reality either.

Real barrels have the ratios of length:width they have because they would perform worse if they were made significantly longer ( or significantly shorter ).

The challenge is defining which parameters would worsen or improve with barrel lengths and how, in such a way that it both "feels" realistic and feels balanced so you get design trade-offs and not a no brainer length everyone must always use. One very important real consideration as mentioned was barrel wear / life, which I doubt the game will take into account for example.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-13, 09:48 AM
RE: Gun mechanisms
Barrel wear thats an interesting point, since that is one of the reason why there are multibarrel weapon with high RoF, thats also a point why so huge guns were so Lamb useless (800 railgun fir egzample could only fire 2-5 shots before needing to change that massive barrel, its wasnt really worth it, similar thing why todays artilery don't use those big 200mm guns anymore.

So if the game would have it it would make a very interesting point of balance for the "campaing"

There is always a weak-spot if you search Hard enough.

If you fire enough AP at that shield, at some point you're going to come through.

There is no "best" I wouldn't even say there is anything universally good, Good is subjective, I find everything bad even if it's in theory good against this or that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply