Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gun mechanisms
2017-10-10, 08:05 PM
RE: Gun mechanisms
(2017-10-10 07:34 PM)Nick Smart Wrote:  Although the inspiration for things on things did come from seeing Gladyon actually achieving it... in a mod of all places!

To be honest, my plan was to convince you to do it, I guess it worked Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 08:15 PM
THIS. IS. AWESOME. I always love me more stuff to tinker with Big Grin

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
2017-10-10, 08:50 PM
got the "piston" part moving.. can be set by player or linked to various different inputs.

here it is set to rest in an out stretched position
Armour shown on the recoil assembly, and on the elevation turret.

[Image: 3cb3aa6911.png]

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 09:57 PM
The cannons in FTD were always a little odd. It's neat to see the game take yet another step towards realism.

(2017-10-10 07:47 PM)Skyer Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 07:46 PM)Vylkatzis Wrote:  
(2017-10-10 07:44 PM)Skyer Wrote:  We will get tanks in the "Void" which will basicly be land if I understood it right

Awesome then! Now I'm hyped for FS too.

Btw, where can I see the thread about this Void?

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=27491

According to Discord Q&A sessions with Nick, that's no longer current - void stone will be generated by energy crystals carried by ships instead, and the land combat stuff was put on the backburner, though Nick is still planning to have some sort of land combat in a release later down the road.

Steam username: Soar | Discord username: Cranky corvids
2017-10-11, 09:14 AM
Beware of floating point precision on recoil dissipation less cannons
2017-10-11, 11:52 AM
Will extra armor added to the barrel or elevation impact it's performance in a realistic manner? ( For example gun elevation requires more power if you add more armor further out at the barrel where it's torque will be higher )
2017-10-11, 03:07 PM
How faster gun would be?
In FTD, There are large magazine clusters under cannons and it turns in azimuth.
In real life, (snip because many and many guys posted 16in Mk6)
How about in FS? I afraid huge cluster woud elevate with barrel on piston recoil buffer.

I'm curious about barrel length. he larget penalty of longer barrels in FTD is asdthetics, not any ship performance.
2017-10-11, 06:47 PM
Nick elsewhere talked about FS having realistic internal ballistics, which should yield realistic optimal bore lengths as long as propellant burn rates are realistic.

("longer barrels are more accurate" is purely video game physics--IRL, longer barrels tend to be less accurate because they are hard to stiffen. The one notable exception is that a barrel short enough that the propellant does not burn entirely before the projectile leaves exacerbates fluctuations in muzzle velocity from burn rate variation between cartridges.)

Allr andask.
2017-10-11, 07:06 PM
(2017-10-11 06:47 PM)Blothorn Wrote:  Nick elsewhere talked about FS having realistic internal ballistics, which should yield realistic optimal bore lengths as long as propellant burn rates are realistic.

("longer barrels are more accurate" is purely video game physics--IRL, longer barrels tend to be less accurate because they are hard to stiffen. The one notable exception is that a barrel short enough that the propellant does not burn entirely before the projectile leaves exacerbates fluctuations in muzzle velocity from burn rate variation between cartridges.)

It is what barrel positioning systems are for. It is employed on tanks for quite a long time. Naval guns could theoretically use it (I didn't see it on any, probably because weight is of less concern on ships than it is on tanks).
2017-10-11, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-11 09:13 PM by Soar.)
Longer barrels increase muzzle velocity by containing a greater proportion of the explosive force of the propellant before the projectile leaves the barrel, which causes the projectile to have a flatter trajectory, which reduces the amount of inaccuracy caused by distance estimation error. This is the reason they are generally thought to be beneficial to accuracy.

However, it's true that that relationship is all already baked in in the interaction between the detection mechanics, muzzle velocity, gravity, and (in FS) projectile mass and air resistance - in real life, I don't think it has anything to do with the actual random dispersion of the shots.

Steam username: Soar | Discord username: Cranky corvids