Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sound barrier?
2017-10-10, 06:19 AM
Sound barrier?
Can the sound barrier be broken in neter? the fastest i've gotten so far is around 280ish mps using custom jet "noodles"

(2017-10-09 09:22 PM)Captain_Fox Wrote:  Go take a shield generator, slap that on your ship and turn the bugger up to max.

KV-2: Derp Lord of the universe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 06:24 AM
RE: Sound barrier?
Given how dense the atmosphere appears to be, it'll be a lot higher than earth...

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Update: Heavy & light tanks 29/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-10-10, 11:03 AM
Custom jet speed is hard-capped at 300 m/s if I remember correctly. I do not know where is the sound barrier on Nether btw.
2017-10-10, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-10 11:26 AM by Kaonicping.)
A long time ago we had crazy CJE abominations going at several km/s, so I'm pretty sure FTD doesn't consider the sound barrier. Also we could go fast more recently with gravram propulsion, and even today with exponential CRAM recoil, and these allow going faster than the speed of sound (I think Hikari made a gravram-propelled thingy go faster than the speed of light Big Grin).

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-10-10, 11:52 PM
Yes--I think the fastest I have ever seen on CJEs was around 10km/s, and breaking the speed of sound used to be fairly easy if you were optimizing for it.

Note that the present speed caps are not at all hard--thrust follows an S-curve, and the "cap" is the 50% point on that curve. CJEs especially can easily beat the cap. Dediblades have no cap, actually, but the fastest practical combat vehicle I have made with them topped around 220m/s.

Allr andask.
2017-10-11, 09:17 AM
(2017-10-10 11:52 PM)Blothorn Wrote:  Yes--I think the fastest I have ever seen on CJEs was around 10km/s, and breaking the speed of sound used to be fairly easy if you were optimizing for it.

Note that the present speed caps are not at all hard--thrust follows an S-curve, and the "cap" is the 50% point on that curve. CJEs especially can easily beat the cap. Dediblades have no cap, actually, but the fastest practical combat vehicle I have made with them topped around 220m/s.

Yeah that reminds me of pro-pain season 3 where someone (I think ferram4) had a super-fast dediblade-propelled kamikaze craft, although it probably requires a lot of space investment to get something bigger going as fast.

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-10-11, 06:37 PM
Dediblade vehicles are faster bigger: drag is proportional to area and the potential thrust from dediblades is proportional to volume. I think the issue is that it gets harder to justify making something 90% dediblades as the size increases.

Allr andask.
2017-10-17, 04:48 PM
I would note that we also have an actual speed of sound in game, given the option to make sounds delayed with distance. No idea what speed that uses, but I doubt it is the same as the water/wd40 densities that people throw around....