Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Make it possible to gather resources anywhere
2017-10-10, 04:24 AM
Make it possible to gather resources anywhere
I suggest that we do away with resource zones and make it possible to drill wherever. The resource zone system is pretty restrictive, hard-capping the amount of material you can gather and where you can do it. I propose making resource gatherer parts much more expensive and much less fast at drilling, but allow them to be used in any numbers anywhere. This way you could have resource bases or cities anywhere you choose and have control over how much material you produce. The downside is the ability for players to eventually abuse this and gain infinite amounts of resource. If this idea is popular I will think up some solutions to that, but for now I want to keep my suggestion simple.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 05:39 AM
RE: Make it possible to gather resources anywhere
That would defeat the point of the campaign, the aspect of resource management and map control.

I said this multipletimes before, something being expensive doesnt really help.

This would pretty much bring back the issues with 5 resources. Where you dont have anything at the start and you are forced to sit and stare at resource counter for few hours till you can think about making anything reasonable.
But then this would re-instante the problem with Crystal resource, it was expensive at start but you could make more of it out of nothing at exponential speed.

Trust me, given also how AI factions arent really that aggressive, you might find yourself being left alone as you exponentially get your resource mining speed to thousands material per minute and it snowballs from there.

If you have problems with resource management and map control, open the editor and adjust them to your liking.

[Image: vP4vDHc.png]

Check out my Zrytix, Land RTS
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 05:41 AM
Right now RZ are incentive to declare wars, they also represent important places in lore and they are often a battlefield for larger battles as they are points of interest for AI too.

2017-10-10, 10:41 AM
Yeppsie, you need some strategic points to fight for.

Stinger10034, you seem to yearn for full metal map option of Total Annihilation.
You can do it!
Just hop in Campaign designer and make one.
If you need help on that, see my tutorial on Youtube, there are a few important things, then just understand the logic of, and it will be a breeze.

There are a few important steps, otherwise you will overwrite the original game files, so just take care.

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
2017-10-11, 04:55 AM
Perhaps some sort of gradient hybrid system. Where there's a base gather rate for all material gatherers that is extremely slow gathering resources for the same power cost as normal -- perhaps 1/10th to 1/100th of the speed. Being within the same tile as, or possibly within 2.5km of, a resource zone allows this output to increase proportionate to the distance to the resource zone but also means that the material gathered in such a way is drawn from the resource zone's reservoir. Being in the resource zone allows it to be used as normal.
2017-10-14, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-14 12:08 AM by Alpha393.)
... how about we just get a few more of them, and make most of the current ones infinite? Mainly the faction bases for obvious reasons.

One slightly more complex system that I thought of/saw somewhere else on the forums (I can't remember which) was 'deep drilling.'

Basically turn the maximum minerals in current resource zones into a second layer, so to speak. Current resource harvesters can only access the first layer, the accessible one we have now. The second layer would only be accessible via a drill subsystem which would be big, bulky, and very power-hungry, but has several notable advantages.

1: it will prioritize harvesting all minerals in the first layer, so resource harvesters are not required if a drill is running.

2: the second layer refills much faster than the first. At least 3x as fast.

3: the second layer tends to have a much higher accessible mineral cap than the first layer.

4: both layers share a mineral reserve.

Cons:
1: very power hungry. a minimal design would be ~6,000 engine power per second

2: resource hungry to set up. As it turns out, building a giant mechanical tube to the stuff we're digging is very costly.

3: fragile, generates a lot of heat and noise. In a game with detection systems. See where this is going?

4: Bulky. Very, very, very bulky. Only really practical for fortresses and structures.

5: slower than its own resource cost in harvesters. Would be offset by the overall increased drilling rate.

My fanfic

(2017-03-17 12:40 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  Ships are less fun than rockets
But spaceships are undeniably cooler than both.
2017-10-14, 08:51 AM
(2017-10-14 12:07 AM)Alpha393 Wrote:  'deep drilling.'

Now thats more reasonable and not capable of snowballing out of control.
However, i would still not want any infinite first layer, but the second layer could have like 5 times the maximum material stocks than the first layer.

So in practise, later in game you could afford to mine more resources out of your already existing zones, even if its short time boost.

2017-10-15, 08:17 PM
That is precisely how I wanted that to play out. Just picture having a world eater fortress that consists of an engine, turbines, and a huge freaking drill, just drifting around and gobbling up resource zones in a matter of hours.

My fanfic

(2017-03-17 12:40 PM)Gladyon Wrote:  Ships are less fun than rockets
But spaceships are undeniably cooler than both.
Yesterday, 11:56 PM
Perhaps the addition of some extra resource zones, particularly at cities, like the Fishing Village and the Fishbone cities. More RZ's I think are needed, particularly a decent number of smaller ones, perhaps along the borders of warring factions like around the SD and between OW and DWG.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.