Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In-Depth Look: A FtD Tutorial Series
2017-10-09, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-11 03:52 PM by yoshinator11.)
In-Depth Look: A FtD Tutorial Series
It was suggested by a viewer of mine to post these tutorial videos onto the FtD Tutorial Forum. So I decided to do just that.

In-Depth Look is a tutorial series I've been doing. I'm planning on releasing at least 1 tutorial video a week, although when during the week depends on varying circumstances.

Please keep in mind, I don't advise using ONLY my tutorials. Fact Checking is importnat, especially when FtD's mechanics change so often.

These are the episodes I have out so far:

Episode 1: Back to Basic Blocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ST7lWZ4...vxw03c010c

Episode 2: Slippery Slopes (And what they do.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZYs0VXhxU

Episode 3: Paper Armor? Not anymore! (Link no longer working)

Episode 4: Floating and Flying (Link no longer working)

Feedback is appreciated. More to come soon!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-10, 01:29 PM
RE: In-Depth Look: A FtD Tutorial Series
I hearthly recommend it to any junior engineers, and senior ones who like to delve in. (Y)

From the Depths english playlist starts here, before that it's hungarian:
https://youtu.be/Ltdx0yVI9cA?list=PLImar...ZokVtdBa73

[Image: 6yFiDvF.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-10-10, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-10 09:49 PM by yoshinator11.)
So, I've decided that the work I've done isn't as good as I want it to.

So I'm going to be re-doing some of these tutorials over time in order to further refine them. Honestly, I feel like I rushed some of them in order to get them out there. I'm going to try to fix that over time.

The original videos that I find unsatisfactory won't remain up while I work on the newer versions. Once I finish the new ones, they will replace the old ones. The ones that I think have no informational issues will remain for now.

Furthermore, I'm NOT going to be uploading a tutorial a week. I feel like that time constraint is what caused me to rush in the first place, and has prevented me from putting in my best effort. Therefor, tutorials will come out when they come out. There's not going to be a set date anymore.

Hope I can improve my content further in order to help everyone out with this game.
2017-10-10, 10:43 PM
Maybe you should collect opinions and plus info from your viewers before rushing to change again? Wink
I see that your vids induce helpful comments, but I am just a koala. Big Grin

Also please put the vids together into a playlist, for easier watchification.

2017-10-11, 03:51 PM
Well, I came to this decision because of several circumstances.

I've noticed that in 2 of the videos, I made some tiny mistakes that would require me to rework the entire thing. I don't plan on spreading false or incorrect information, so I unlisted the offending videos.

People do seem to like the videos, but I think I can do better. If what I made helped them before, the improvements will help even more.

I DID have all of the videos in a tutorial playlist, but that just has all of my tutorials that I've done in the past. You're right, though, I should make an individual one for In-Depth Look.
2017-10-12, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-12 07:58 AM by Normal69.)
Yepp I way pretty surprised this morning when the next video wasn't yours.

Some points I come up by the titles, not necessarily good ones:
3) armour stacking, effect of slopes like WoT, and reduced stacking with not full beams, emp channeling, durability vs repairability, armour lattice (90 degree turned layers), missile and barrel clipthru, weight, radar return, damage types and their effects, subobject damage
4) weight, buoyancy, sails, wings, balloons, dediblades, propellers, jets, ions, air/helium pumps, AI/non-AI pids, passive/pid/acb stabilization, unit type on E-tactical (water/land/air/all), water/air propeller/jet usage on V screen

2017-10-12, 10:20 PM
(2017-10-10 10:43 PM)Normal69 Wrote:  Maybe you should collect opinions and plus info from your viewers before rushing to change again? Wink
I see that your vids induce helpful comments, but I am just a koala. Big Grin

Also please put the vids together into a playlist, for easier watchification.

(2017-10-12 07:56 AM)Normal69 Wrote:  Yepp I way pretty surprised this morning when the next video wasn't yours.

Some points I come up by the titles, not necessarily good ones:
3) armour stacking, effect of slopes like WoT, and reduced stacking with not full beams, emp channeling, durability vs repairability, armour lattice (90 degree turned layers), missile and barrel clipthru, weight, radar return, damage types and their effects, subobject damage
4) weight, buoyancy, sails, wings, balloons, dediblades, propellers, jets, ions, air/helium pumps, AI/non-AI pids, passive/pid/acb stabilization, unit type on E-tactical (water/land/air/all), water/air propeller/jet usage on V screen

Thanks for the suggestions! I figured the best way to figure out what to do was to trade feedback, so, here goes . . .

3)
From what I understand, Armor Stacking is Armor Layering, which was in Episode 3, but I messed up the bonus numbers, which means I have to redo the first part of the video. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

For slopes, I talked about the ricochet properties they have in Episode 2, but I didn't discuss their effects in armor layering. I showed an example of this in Episode 3, but that was taken down to be redone.

I was planning on dedicating a whole episode to damage types, such as EMP and Fragmentation. I was going to have examples of how to counter said damage in that episode.

That wasn't exactly something I was going to cover in episode 3, although I should mention material cost a lot more throughout my videos.

I went over Armor Lattice in Episode 3 as well, which also ended up being the example for episode 2. (The example I had in there was missing from the previous episode, by the time I noticed it was too late.)

If by that, you mean clipping through enemy hull, I'm fairly certain that doesn't happen. If you mean your OWN ship's hull, I was going to go over that in a later episode, where I talk more about things such as advanced cannons and turrets.

I had gone over weight in Episode 4, but I guess it would be worth mentioning it in episode 3, seeing as some blocks are heavy enough to sink ships on their own.

I was going to go over subobject damage in the episode about damage types, seeing as I'd be talking about the counters between damage types and blocks.

4)
Episode 4 was mainly going to be about building hulls for craft. mixing in things such as lift and thrust probably wasn't a good idea, seeing as propulsion would inevitably intertwined with lift. I may just move that into Episode 5, which I've decided would be more about propulsion than AI, which I had said would be the next topic in episode 4.

Air/Helium pumps are necessary for episode 4, however, and they were already added into it, so that's covered.

I didn't want to go over that in episode 4, because 1. I don't have a solid grasp on how to set up PIDs yet, and I wanted some more time to figure them out, and 2. It would require me to explain the mechanics of AIs, PIDs and ACBs all on one episode, as well as everything else. The one thing I wanted with this series was to keep it as short as I possibly could. (To be honest, this series is mostly for people who have NO idea what they're doing when they buy the game.)

Unit type would cover AIs, see above for reasoning.

The one thing I didn't plan on covering, however, was the V menu's use in construction. (beyond checking the vehicle cost and setting up what propulsion is used, that is.) I've never used it to build my craft, honestly, because it seemed more tedious than trial-and-error. (Though I can see the benefit to NOT using TaE, it's probably more frustrating.) It's a large, sometimes confusing page of numbers that all rapidly change all at once, and believe me, I'm only 600+ hours in, and if I can't understand it, most new players certainly won't.

Though it probably would help to learn HOW it can help.

That's all I have, for now. Hopefully trading feedback like this can get this all down to a science.