Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Development update October 2017
2017-10-02, 07:23 PM
Development update October 2017
Hi guys,

Sorry I have personally been away from the forum for a while, leaving Khaz, Majyst & Scarlet to man the fort for a bit.

As I'm sure a lot of you are aware at the start of the year I diverted my attention onto a different project which is called Forgotten Shores and (without going into too much detail about it here) it is essentially supposed to be a re-imagining of From The Depths that is made with the benefit of hindsight & experience, but also taking the engineering realism, industrial complexity and human elements to a level of much greater depth.

You'll be aware that this project has taken me much longer than I wanted it to and that I haven't been adding to FtD very much this year (with the exception of the 2.0 patch).

The reason for this is that I have invested so much time into Forgotten Shores that it makes a lot of sense to put that bit of extra effort into it in order to be able to release it to you guys, rather than diverting my attention away from it at this final hour which would mean that the fruits of 2017 wouldn't be enjoyed until I had time to come back to it and finish the first release.

To put it simply I'd rather invest one month in Forgotten shores so that you can experience and benefit from 11 months of fruitful development, than invest one month in FtD so that you can experience 1 month of fruitful development.

I can only apologise that Forgotten shores has taken this long (and continues to take time) to "pay off" for you guys- but I really think it will be worth it.

I want to guarantee to you that once the initial releases are made of it I will be diverting a large portion of my time back to FtD- and where possible any nice features of Forgotten Shores will be copied back into FtD.

Thanks for your continued patience Smile

Reviewed FtD on steam yet? It's the #1 thing you can do to help FtD (and future games by Brilliant Skies!), so please take the time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-10-02, 07:26 PM
RE: Development update October 2017
Thank you Nick for updating us on what is going on.
Find all posts by this user
2017-10-02, 07:58 PM
Faint voice in the distance Strategic AI....

One bad meme a day (or week)

[Image: TpjGhypPwrAxzQRwMQNv1hQdXZymrlRruKexYFXi...-h302-n-rw]
2017-10-02, 10:29 PM
Awesome. Creating/developing both projects will lead to experience and refinement of future and current games. Thanks for the update and best of luck.
2017-10-03, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 02:16 AM by MizarLuke.)
Sooo, does this mean that in about a month you plan on releasing FS then getting back some to developing FtD? If so I, and I think most others, would be glad to see it.

However, I would appreciate it if you spent about a week now working on a few bugs and suggestions, just minor things, before getting back to FS because FtD could use a small bit of work, like fixing some bugs, fixing the metal texturing (most slopes have trouble joining the metal plating design), a few more decorative blocks, add the acoustic sensor functionally, maybe a small bit of balancing, etc.

Though I believe that FS should recieve a lot of the development focus for a few more weeks to get it released, then I would certainly like Strategic AI and some more major updates.

Very happy for the update and hope you do these a couple times a month or something like that anyways.

2000mm HE dakka enthusiast.
2017-10-03, 09:18 AM
The man is back in the house! Big Grin

I am so eager to play the first release of FS, I dont mind the waiting. It is just good to hear from you time to time.

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
2017-10-03, 09:55 AM
Glad to see you again.
We're so impatient to try FS because knowing what you can add in FtD in 2 months, we can easily imagine the sheer number of features you can pack in FS in a year, and that makes some of us drooling badly...
2017-10-03, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-03 10:46 AM by Kaonicping.)
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Smile

FTD in its present state should keep me occupied for a while so I'm not too bothered even if it takes years to get FS in shape, but it's nice to know things are chugging along. The screenshots you've shown of FS look way better than what I was expecting, so I definitely look forwards to playing it.

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-10-04, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-10-05 04:29 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
Good to see you around again. I'm in agreement that FtD is in an OK place to leave be for a little, if it has a couple of things worked on - there are things you don't have to do yourself, but really all I desperately want right now are

* Disable PostProcessing option
* Iimprovement to wheels - as a ( temporary ) suggestion, what happens if you update 20 different driving wheels per frame instead of trying to pick 20 useful ones & sticking with them?
* let passive sonar pick up torpedo propellors - I think this is the last bastion of lack of counter now.
* A few new decorative blocks like windows on a face instead of block centre, and perhaps windows on slopes, which obviously you don't have to do; but with the way the UI works this requires *someone* to change code I guess but you have to sign it off, so... ( maybe you can give someone else the job of making the UI more generic & extensible at a data level instead Big Grin )

Edit:
* In AOTE, I keep finding my repair tools ( bots, tentacles, avatar tentacles ) are refusing to repair in combat ( and if the vehicle is in play, after combat too ) which can be disastrous to the entire campaign if it's at a bad time. Not going to suggest anything, but perhaps a quick check over repairing & resource traffic? I haven't checked other campaigns because AOTE is a lot more kind on my eyes.
* Missiles have some odd behaviour where they ignore decoys & don't take target signatures into account - it was mentioned somewhere I forget that missiles are causing NREs again.
* Take a quick pass over some of the very simple suggestions for cheap shiny new behaviour perhaps.

Other bugs can probably wait unless ( like Gladyon's below ) they're actually breaking things.

A lot of the blocks need smoothing & UV mapping fixed, but I don't think you have to do that yourself?

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy tanks 20/10/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - post processing gives me eyestrain at sea.
2017-10-04, 10:21 AM
(2017-10-04 09:46 AM)Richard Dastardly Wrote:  Good to see you around again. I'm in agreement that FtD is in an OK place to leave be for a little, if it has a couple of things worked on - there are things you don't have to do yourself, but really all I desperately want right now are

* Disable PostProcessing option
* Iimprovement to wheels - as a suggestion, what happens if you update 20 different driving wheels per frame instead of trying to pick 20 useful ones & sticking with them?
* let passive sonar pick up torpedo propellors
* A few new decorative blocks like windows on a face instead of block centre, and perhaps windows on slopes. With the way the UI works this requires *someone* to change code I guess but you have to sign it off, so... ( maybe you can give someone else the job of making the UI more generic & extensible at a data level instead Big Grin )

A lot of the blocks need smoothing & UV mapping fixed, but I don't think you have to do that yourself?

There's also a game-breaking bug related to Vectrosity, here are the related bug reports:
[2.01] PID not working (exception generated by vectrosity)
[2.0] Shields exceptions (fix for one exception provided)
PIDs breaking after placing cards
[2.0] Exception with the plot drawers
[2.02] Stable - Blocky state glitch

It seems to be an issue with Vectrosity, everything that is using lines can be impacted (I've seen it on engines, shields and PIDs, and it seems to also impact the harpoons)
The only workaround is to exit FtD and start it again. Because when the bug has started, the exception cannot be stopped, which stops the normal execution of FtD.
I'm 99.999% sure that this problem wasn't there before Unity 5 (I've more than 2500 hours, without counting at least that number again in offline and I haven't seen it before).

Note that the first bug report in the list contain steps that will reproduce the problem 100% of the times.