Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Purpose of Flak
2017-09-12, 12:53 PM
RE: The Purpose of Flak
(2017-09-12 11:12 AM)ABYAY Wrote:  Flak in its current state is so weak as an AA munition because it is so strong as CIWS. The 11m cap doesn't apply to non-vehicular damage to my knowledge and you get the full radius. This means that a 400mm flak shell has a massive radius and destroys countless missiles coming in. As an anti-vehicle munition, even as an AA gun, it is very lackluster.

I was talking with Scarlet and Khaz about this to where flak could be buffed again while keeping the same general effectiveness against missiles. We all seemed to agree that buffing the armor of missiles would be the best course of action if flak damage is increased. LAMS would generally be unaffected since they would do enough damage and adding AP is rather easy to LAMS setups. However this was all speculation and we are unsure if that change will even be done.

I'd welcome that change though. FLAK sole effectiveness as a CIWS weapon hardly justifies its existence. It used to be quite a decent weapon, and in 2.00 it for a short moment was actually a good AA weapon, but then Scarlet came in with the nerf hammer and instead of being where it was <2.00, it's now so bad that I've stopped using it altogether. It'd be great if FLAK would be viable again as AA weapon.

Procrastination level is over 9000
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-12, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-12 02:17 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
It was also incredibly good just post 2.0 - when used at high gauge - at taking off deck furniture like detection components & LAMS nodes; you could practically disable a ship in a couple of volleys by adding a flak warhead to normal fused rounds.

TBH I don't really understand flak at all - real AA ammo is our frag rounds with a little HE mixed in, not sure what flak would be... fuel-air explosives perhaps.

Poke my boat! pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - 6 ships made 2.0 aware. Regularily doing other things until the eye-strain post-processing can be disabled again; great game but not worth the literal headache.
2017-09-12, 04:50 PM
IRL Flak Is a FRAG/HE Mix Concentrating more on FRAG Much frag (Thats why its AoE is so high)

Over 2700 hours in building games and i still can't build fancy.
But Effective!
2017-09-15, 06:34 PM
Flak is (in my experience) better at fast fire weapona then HE

One bad meme a day (or week)

[Image: TpjGhypPwrAxzQRwMQNv1hQdXZymrlRruKexYFXi...-h302-n-rw]