Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
[OW] New Design Request: Easy Sailship
2017-09-14, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-14 08:27 PM by Sumyunguy.)
RE: [OW] New Design Request: Easy Sailship
(2017-09-14 08:19 PM)Pirate King Dygrelan Wrote:  Aye, ye are right, anythin' you build falls over because you cannot build sail ships. Think ye know what I was referrin' to when I said what I said. That big block of wood you posted.

That "big block of wood" looks pretty much like a ship. The rigging on the front is pretty creative use of spin blocks and barrels as rope blocks (which would be cool to have in the game). Bow is proper shape as well compared to some of the HMS sailing ships I've seen.

I really don't know what you are getting at or why you are posting critique that boils down to "u suk lol".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-14, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-14 08:56 PM by karbengo.)
Alright. I'll be more diplomat than Dygrelan above.

@FourGreenLeaf I know I pushed to to use shutters between the gun ports, but I wasn't expecting that result, I am sorry. The wall of your ship are very flat, they would look better if you offset 1 block inward every two row to obtain sloped in walls, what is called a "thumblehome" hull. A great example of that hull architecture would be the famous HMS Victory.

I believe Majyst was thinking the same when he remarked your walls could use some relief. You can even revert back to your original idea of using slopes if you want to. Flat vertical walls do not look that good.

Edit: Also it would be cool if the next picture you posted of your ship was a painted version. Paint plays a big part in the aesthetic of a design, as it has the power to highlight details and mask imperfections.

Edit 2: The mast made purely out of "mast blocks" are nice, but unfortunately they are also very block intensive; I advise you to make a compromised and rebuild part of it with beams for economy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2017-09-14, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 01:16 PM by Vorpalim.)
Could use an APS firing piece connected to beamed barrels and set to a low gauge. That's usually how we simulate rope here.
2017-09-14, 09:00 PM
(2017-09-14 08:30 PM)karbengo Wrote:  @FourGreenLeaf I know I pushed to to use shutters between the gun ports, but I wasn't expecting that result, I am sorry. The wall of your ship are very flat, they would look better if you ofset 1block inward every two row to obtain sloped in walls, what is called a "thumblehome" hull. A great example would be the famous HMS Victory.

I believ Majyst was thinking the same when he remarked your walls could use some relief. You can even revert back to your original idea of using slopes if you want to. Flat vertical walls do not look that good.

Edit: Also it would be cool if the next picture you posted of your ship was a painted version. Paint plays a big part in the aesthetic of a design, as it has the power to highlight details and mask imperfections.

Edit 2: The mast made purely out of "mast blocks" are nice, but unfortunately they are also very block intensive; I advise you to make a compromised and rebuild part of it with beams for economy.

I allready followed majyst's suggestion. The top-most row and the deck cannons are still on one level, but it's a whole lot less flat (done some minor modifications since the screens I uploaded on Discord, but can't make any more screens right now). I could further modify the sides, but I am not sure if I can do that without having to rework the lifeboats and the superstructure holding them - or without making the thing look kinda fat.
Uploaded it on Discord, latest version (if you want to see if the sides are sufficiently non-flat now): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2....blueprint
No need to be sorry either way. Messing up is part of the fun Tongue

I usually paint last (or only just before noticing some flaw I need to fix). I think I've reached the point at which I'd have started painting anyway though - majyst had asked for some more changes on Discord, and I had changed that, and I feel it's pretty much finished (except I need to check if the cannons are able to shoot the ship, if fireing at steep angles, or if it was because I had teleported for testing conveniance and the thing was dropping down).

If you want me to turn the masts into wood beams, I can do that. Still at less than 9k blocks*, though, so wouldn't do that until you/majyst confirm that, or unless I add a whole load more blocks (should be easy enough to do in a hurry anyway. Won't mess with CoM, and painting would stay the same too).
Also, just the main masts, or the mast blocks on the front rigging too?

*if I remember correctly, at least. Can't check atm.

(2017-09-14 08:50 PM)Vorpalim Wrote:  Could use an APS firing piece connected to beamed barrels and set to a low gauge. That'susually how we simulate rope here.

I think that wouldn't work for most of the ropes I added. Quite sure the fireing piece would look out-of-place. Going to take a look at that tomorrow though.
2017-09-15, 09:15 AM
@sumyunguy Hey, ive taken your design, named it Constellation. I think Karbengo Intends to do some paint and stuff so Ill collect his update when he is done, but it is in the spawn list now (not live)

At some point, you or Karbengo needs to add more Ammo processors (whoever is currently working on the BP) the ship runs out of Ammo after 4 Broadsides and starts shooting sporadic.

@Fourgreenfields Keep plugging at the design, I see the potential of a great looking design but theres still a lot of Aesthetic Flaws I want worked out before I take it.
The broadside stuff and that back Cabin Area also needs work. I have Ideas for that back part, so I can work on it once you get tired of working on the design.

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"Exaggerating just pisses me off" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds
2017-09-15, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-15 12:49 PM by karbengo.)
@Majyst Got it. I've been beaming the Constellation and painting it, I'll add the ammo processor and post and update soon, so Sum can eventually add his own last minute changes.

[Image: Oi7rCSU.png]

The paintjob so far, still a work in progress.
2017-09-15, 07:16 PM
(2017-09-15 12:38 PM)karbengo Wrote:  @Majyst Got it. I've been beaming the Constellation and painting it, I'll add the ammo processor and post and update soon, so Sum can eventually add his own last minute changes.

[Image: Oi7rCSU.png]

The paintjob so far, still a work in progress.

It's a little blocky

One bad meme a day (or week)

[Image: MI7Vr4G.png]
2017-09-19, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-19 06:11 PM by karbengo.)
@Sumyunguy Here is the Bec de Corbyn, now Constellation, painted and integration ready. You can check it again and do some additional changes if you like. One notable change, I removed the ribbing at the base of the hull since it is barely noticeable when painted over, plus the ship doesn't need that much metal armour as an easy slot design.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Constellation.blueprint (Size: 393.44 KB / Downloads: 2)
2017-09-19, 09:08 PM
(2017-09-19 06:09 PM)karbengo Wrote:  @Sumyunguy Here is the Bec de Corbyn, now Constellation, painted and integration ready. You can check it again and do some additional changes if you like. One notable change, I removed the ribbing at the base of the hull since it is barely noticeable when painted over, plus the ship doesn't need that much metal armour as an easy slot design.

Looks great! The only change I made was renaming the mainframe back to "Captain Lucerne" instead of leaving the AI unnamed. Justifies the lucerne hammer picture in the captain's quarters and is an ode to the previous, long french name, in a way.

Thanks again!

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Constellation.blueprint (Size: 393.43 KB / Downloads: 2)
2017-09-20, 02:51 AM
(2017-09-19 09:08 PM)Sumyunguy Wrote:  
(2017-09-19 06:09 PM)karbengo Wrote:  @Sumyunguy Here is the Bec de Corbyn, now Constellation, painted and integration ready. You can check it again and do some additional changes if you like. One notable change, I removed the ribbing at the base of the hull since it is barely noticeable when painted over, plus the ship doesn't need that much metal armour as an easy slot design.

Looks great! The only change I made was renaming the mainframe back to "Captain Lucerne" instead of leaving the AI unnamed. Justifies the lucerne hammer picture in the captain's quarters and is an ode to the previous, long french name, in a way.

Thanks again!

[Image: seagulls-mine.jpg]

"Ask for the world and you'll get nothing, ask for something achievable and you might actually get it." -Majyst

"Im a leaf on the Wind, Watch how I soar" - 'Wash' Washburne

"Exaggerating just pisses me off" -Majyst

"Shiny" -Captain Malcolm Reynolds