Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recommended APS for interceptor?
2017-09-10, 04:39 AM
Recommended APS for interceptor?
I've just built a small fighter plane. It flies flawlessly and is nearly impervious thanks to its STR 3 Shields against early campaign enemies. It would be a perfect, cheap plane, except for one problem...

It can't kill anything. I wanted to go with the high RoF route, so I've been trying various designs to see what would stick. My current design is an 18mm 6-barreled Sabot setup at 1000 RPM using 5 1m loaders each, and it SUCKS.

I can't figure out how to get this thing to work and actually kill something (testing against WF Stingers. Hell, my battleships can do it's job better...

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Solar Flare.blueprint (Size: 67.2 KB / Downloads: 10)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-10, 10:15 AM
RE: Recommended APS for interceptor?
Try using missiles or simple autocannons on turrets. APS is not really effective at such small sizes and gauges. If you really want APS, try using larger calibers, they are usually more effective.
2017-09-10, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-10 10:31 AM by Kaonicping.)
18mm in general does nothing unless you have ridiculously long shells with rail assist. At low calibre you'll probably want inertially-fused frag if you're up against shields, otherwise your frag/hollow point should do alright.

BTW I don't think you have enough cooling units for 1000RPM (I believe you need 22 for that, but I just woke up so I may well have done my maths wrong)

Maybe up the gauge (sacrificing some cooling units), use beltfeds and add some overclock?

Also, you really should extend the gauge snake into the hull by removing the line of LWA next to it to get 6 more cooling units in.

I tried it with 180deg in-frag at 71mm, 4s of overclock and set at 581RPMI tried 1522 now after fixing my derp, which seems to do decent burst damage, but that needed the LWA removed. It seems to shoot down all three types of stinger fairly well.

Also I'd recommend putting a huge jet in the tail since this thing is really slow, although you'll probably have to sacrifice the strength of the shields a bit or buff up the engine (neither of which are nice options).

EDIT: I derped on the maths, I forgot it had 6 barrels Angel

(2017-07-10 02:50 AM)Resolas Wrote:  Forward broadside is the best broadside
2017-09-10, 02:00 PM
You can try time-fused 180°-frags with a larger caliber, but that is a real RNG-shell that can hit your craft if you are not careful.
Or try hollow-point shells with around 4k-6k kinetic damage. Make a burst or rapid fire gun with them and you can disable every unshielded flying craft in a matter of seconds, either by destroying critcal propulsion components or by messing up their aerodynamics.

Come to think of it, that may even work in carrier-sized aircraft...

Once in a while I decide to do something stupid and try to perfect it. That is how some of my strongest designs were created.
2017-09-11, 03:51 AM
(2017-09-10 10:17 AM)Kaonicping Wrote:  18mm in general does nothing unless you have ridiculously long shells with rail assist. At low calibre you'll probably want inertially-fused frag if you're up against shields, otherwise your frag/hollow point should do alright.

BTW I don't think you have enough cooling units for 1000RPM (I believe you need 22 for that, but I just woke up so I may well have done my maths wrong)

Maybe up the gauge (sacrificing some cooling units), use beltfeds and add some overclock?

Also, you really should extend the gauge snake into the hull by removing the line of LWA next to it to get 6 more cooling units in.

I tried it with 180deg in-frag at 71mm, 4s of overclock and set at 581RPMI tried 1522 now after fixing my derp, which seems to do decent burst damage, but that needed the LWA removed. It seems to shoot down all three types of stinger fairly well.

Also I'd recommend putting a huge jet in the tail since this thing is really slow, although you'll probably have to sacrifice the strength of the shields a bit or buff up the engine (neither of which are nice options).

EDIT: I derped on the maths, I forgot it had 6 barrels Angel

I tried your 71mm solution and it worked very well! I can even have 3 of them to take down a B5 Grier. I decided against the jet because I wanted the "old-fashioned prop plane" aesthetic; I also have a radar in the tail so that's out of bounds.

In fact, this was supposed to be a pure carrier-launched aircraft - relying purely on IVTs to attack targets. Sadly, my fleet has no carrier in service...
2017-09-11, 03:42 PM
(2017-09-11 03:51 AM)oventoaster955 Wrote:  In fact, this was supposed to be a pure carrier-launched aircraft - relying purely on IVTs to attack targets. Sadly, my fleet has no carrier in service...

Build an airborne command post with all the sensors in it? if you made it an airship you could probably dock the fighters to it without it looking daft, too.

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 17/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.