Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[2.02] Lasers hit subconstructs through armor, +reliable example
2017-09-06, 09:55 PM
[2.02] Lasers hit subconstructs through armor, +reliable example
Lasers can warp through armor and damage subobjects on the other side.
Looks like it happens when hitting at low angles(~15° feels most likely), possibly related:
http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=29424

To reproduce:
  • Spawn in the chair of the LaserTest blueprint, give it a few seconds to stabilize
  • Spawn the LaserTestAttack blueprint on the enemy team, facing the armored side of LaserTest
  • A few times a minute laser will damage some glass beams on the turrets

[Image: PilCRrml.jpg] [Image: yuWfPxQl.jpg]

[Image: QRN8rTvl.jpg] [Image: BZ6l4Xcl.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  LaserTest.blueprint (Size: 247.55 KB / Downloads: 6)
.blueprint  LaserTestAttack.blueprint (Size: 139.04 KB / Downloads: 7)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-07, 07:37 AM
RE: [2.02] Lasers hit subconstructs through armor, +reliable example
I just checked the code, the laser is using 'GridCastAllConstructables()', which is the same thing used to calculate the AC for my AC Viewer tool (the bug report you linked to).
In fact, I 'borrowed' the code for my mod, so it's quite normal that it's the same...

It's a real problem, as a lot of things in FtD are using that grid-casting algorithm, the kinetics, the frags, the lasers, etc.
If there's a bug in it, it would solve a lot of bugs with just one stone (or shell, to be more on FtD topic...).

And while you way of reproducing it is reliable, it's not reliable enough to be easy to debug, because we can't predict at which frame exactly the bug will occur.
If our bug reports are linked, then I advise to use my AC Viewer tool to reproduce it in a better way from a programmer point of view.
And your test case will be very good to test the fix in 'real life'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply