Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stealth Fast Attack Craft - Seagull
2017-09-05, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-07 07:22 PM by Janekk.)
Stealth Fast Attack Craft - Seagull
I made significant overhaul of my first (I think) working ship. It's a simple torpedo boat. Not really meant to be used on it's own since it can't target anything that's out of water.

[Image: iDWJD6f.png]

[Image: Xbd64Xf.png]

Cost: 7952 material

Number of blocks: 409

Dimensions(L,W,H)
: 36m, 9m, 11m

Max speed: 37 m/s (even with AI at helm it easily does over 30 m/s)

Weapons: 4x "Kraken" torpedo launcher (7 blocks, 3km range, 4 HE warheads)

It has very low detection signatures. Visual detection range of something around 1-2km from side, radar and sonar detection range of around 150-220m, no wireless communication. It uses passive sensors, IR camera tracker and deployable sonar buoy for detection. Uses electric engine and recharges batteries with RTG's.

Let me know if you spot any issues.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Fast Attack Craft - Seagull Class.blueprint (Size: 48.07 KB / Downloads: 12)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-07, 07:10 PM
RE: Stealth Fast Attack Craft - Seagull
After live testing in campaign I realized it's a lot more convenient to have enough RTG's to cover your propulsion power draw rather than relying only on ACB controled turbines. Since all this boat uses power for is propulsion I completely replaced steam turbine with RTG's. This makes it bit more pricy but I suppose RTG's will eventually pay for themselves and in any case it's mostly matter of convenience for me. Now while I was doing that I noticed I neglected to replace old ACB's with PID for hydrofoil control. So I did that and since I had power for it and boat was now a lot more stable I added third huge propeller. It's a lot faster now, just remember to let it top off batteries before you take it for a spin. I'll be updating first post with new stats and blueprint shortly.
2017-09-07, 08:07 PM
Talk about something fit for purpose! Only 8k, that's impressive, especially with the RTG which is an expensive part.

Did you consider installing torpedo launchers on a turret? It would allow to shootat targets more easily while evading fire with that amazing speed and agility.
2017-09-07, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-07 08:27 PM by Richard Dastardly.)
Tiny fuel engines also work - my own take on cheapo missile boats only uses 600 power, the fuel use is neglegible in practice ( 0.7/s, roughly ). In fact it doesn't even use 600 but the engine would have been really awkward to build for less. Not very stealthy, mine, but it dodges *really* well.

I'd junk the trackers on yours & just use omni sensors - self-guiding torpedos only need to know vaguely where a target is, trackers are a bit of a waste. For more stealth, use cameras behind glass ( also you can use glass around the retroreflector ). Unfortunately you can't enclose passive radar.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.
2017-09-07, 09:20 PM
@BlitzkriegBob
I do use them on turret in bigger ship. TBH I have them installed here like that mostly for the looks. I could also cover them with some armour but again they imho look better like that.

@Richard Dastardly
Good point on sensors, I suppose I did go overboard a bit. Mostly because it's something I don't want to think too much about and just add some stuff so it works. I get bogged down in details as it is and take far too long to build even small boats like this. I guess I could remove IR tracker and some other sensor, maybe passive radar to cut down that tower a bit. Thanks for the tip.
2017-09-07, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-08 10:00 AM by Richard Dastardly.)
All you really need is one 360 cam, which you can stick in a glass tower. Alternatives would be dropping sonar bouys regularily, or allround IR90 which would also get subs.

Never seen a reason to use torpedo turrets unless you're doing some replica-ish destroyer, or you're minmaxing drag, or you're using dumbfire unguided ones.

Fixed your PID also.

Attached File(s)
.blueprint  Fast Attack Craft - Seagull Class - RD.blueprint (Size: 49.38 KB / Downloads: 9)

Poke my boat! mostly pre-2.0 learning & catalogue thread - Heavy & light tanks 18/11/17. 6 ships made 2.0 aware. If it's not AotE I can't do it regularily - sea -> post processing -> eyestrain.