Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Frigate Fracas (Submissions Closed. Running Mon-Fri)
2017-09-04, 10:35 PM
RE: Frigate Fracas (Accepting Submissions, due September 15th))
Currently at 53.3 k on my latest prototype. 3 x main turrets, all hull/armor done. Engines and AI in. Now how to shoe horn in ammo and/or secondaries.....

(Is in your ship, stealing your turrets!)

Mods/extra blocks

After Cataclysm (and the separate 'railings' mod as well)
Dynamic Kinetics Simple Re-skin (armored glass)
Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2017-09-04, 10:49 PM
The 2.0 changes really help with the cost limit, making CRAMs so much cheaper. My Pinnacle from BB2 went from 250K materials to ~211K after the update

With that said, my first hull design came out to 31K without any guns, engines, or other innards. Back to the drawing board! Shy
2017-09-04, 11:24 PM
any idea why my ship moves when I spawn in an enemy, but not when I try to steer it with manual controls for testing? Bloody strange and I'm trying to test stability and such

Mods/extra blocks

Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-09-04, 11:26 PM
(2017-09-04 08:50 PM)LoSboccacc Wrote:  so, secondaries can be mounted turretless right?

Yep!

(2017-09-04 09:05 PM)TheConeezeanEmperor Wrote:  Wait, is CIWS allowed, if so that seems a-bit counter intuitive to a CRAM focused tourney, I would suggest either severly limiting or banning outright the use of the CIWS, as someone can easily hard-counter the primaries of any ship, effectively devolving the tourney into a "who can make the best CIWS" competition.

(2017-09-04 09:41 PM)NutterChap Wrote:  
(2017-09-04 09:05 PM)TheConeezeanEmperor Wrote:  Wait, is CIWS allowed, if so that seems a-bit counter intuitive to a CRAM focused tourney, I would suggest either severly limiting or banning outright the use of the CIWS, as someone can easily hard-counter the primaries of any ship, effectively devolving the tourney into a "who can make the best CIWS" competition.

And how exactly is such a CIWS-gunship going to kill itself in under 10 minutes?

On another note: my second attempt is a complete failure again. I keep on thinking too large in some kind of way. Undecided

What Nutterchap said. If a vessel has really good CIWS that hard counters the main guns, it'll hard counter its own main guns and be unable to destroy itself in the battle test.
2017-09-05, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the point is moot since CIWS can't shoot down CRAM shells anyway!
2017-09-05, 01:14 AM
edit: nvm, seems that somehow the designed turned my blueprint file 90 degrees...

(2017-09-04 11:24 PM)Greyfell Wrote:  any idea why my ship moves when I spawn in an enemy, but not when I try to steer it with manual controls for testing? Bloody strange and I'm trying to test stability and such

Mods/extra blocks

Wrought Iron Armor
Structural Foam
Aero-alloy
More Corners 0.3
2017-09-05, 02:44 AM
Getting viable designs with this is difficult, but on the bright side silly dodging shenanigans as a replacement for armor doesn't seem as viable as it once was. I retrofitted the Cascade Squadron ships into a 4x triple CRAM turret config and an even higher top speed and it got annihilated by the ship below. I'm 95% certain this is going to be my entry, unless something more viable shows up:

[Image: iOWwIE1.jpg]

So yeah, secondary APS is gonna be important for a viable design.
2017-09-05, 07:31 AM
I'm struggling to design viable CRAM cannons since the armor buff, especially at this low price point.

I can sail my airplane in space.
2017-09-05, 08:47 AM
(2017-09-05 07:31 AM)TheShadowKick Wrote:  I'm struggling to design viable CRAM cannons since the armor buff, especially at this low price point.

I'd have thought armor is going to be much weaker due to the lower price point so APHE CRAMs could be even stronger...

As for the CIWS, I meant just non-functioning ones that imitate IRL CIWS miniguns.
And also I belive CIWS only works against missiles, but have to test that after this just in case...

This statement is false
2017-09-05, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 2017-09-05 09:18 AM by draba.)
(2017-09-05 08:47 AM)Zijkhal Wrote:  
(2017-09-05 07:31 AM)TheShadowKick Wrote:  I'm struggling to design viable CRAM cannons since the armor buff, especially at this low price point.

I'd have thought armor is going to be much weaker due to the lower price point so APHE CRAMs could be even stronger...

As for the CIWS, I meant just non-functioning ones that imitate IRL CIWS miniguns.
And also I belive CIWS only works against missiles, but have to test that after this just in case...

Eh, no speed limit means that CRAM is only there as decoration.
Whoever games the "APS only as secondary" rule best wins, you could use friggin EMP pellets and it wouldn't matter.

CIWS is missile only.